What's new

Why do so many shaving related vendors have such bad customer service?

This has been bothering me since I started wet shaving. I've mostly have had great service from the "big & well known" vendors. It's kept me coming back to them. But sometimes I run into items that are sold by others and all I get is silence. Product questions, delayed shipping etc..
It's annoying and frustrating and just makes me look elsewhere for whatever I need (including buying it from Europe). Currently I have product questions from 3 different vendors and days have gone by and nothing!
How do they keep business going with no communication?
If they're like that pre-sale, I can only imagine what it would be like if you'd ever have an issue after you've received the item(s).
Out of common courtesy, I'm not gonna name any companies!
As an avid consumer of goods, I've have bought all sorts of things throughout my life. I've never seen it this bad with any other industry.
If you want to sell, you need communication with your customers!
And I don't want to hear the excuse of: "It's a side business" or "we're a small business".
Communication takes seconds and keeps customers happy!
I know tons of side businesses that service customers as they should.
So that's my rant (from an easy going person)
Let's hear what you think!

My experience has been pretty good dealing with retailers like Pasteur Pharmacy, Maggard Razors, Italian Barber and Smallflower. Also good have been some overseas vendors like Connaught, Gifts&Care, Yourshaving and Shavemac. All emails have been answered in a reasonable time. I haven't dealt much with the artisans directly, though.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
This has been bothering me since I started wet shaving. I've mostly have had great service from the "big & well known" vendors. It's kept me coming back to them. But sometimes I run into items that are sold by others and all I get is silence. Product questions, delayed shipping etc..
It's annoying and frustrating and just makes me look elsewhere for whatever I need (including buying it from Europe). Currently I have product questions from 3 different vendors and days have gone by and nothing!
How do they keep business going with no communication?
If they're like that pre-sale, I can only imagine what it would be like if you'd ever have an issue after you've received the item(s).
Out of common courtesy, I'm not gonna name any companies!
As an avid consumer of goods, I've have bought all sorts of things throughout my life. I've never seen it this bad with any other industry.
If you want to sell, you need communication with your customers!
And I don't want to hear the excuse of: "It's a side business" or "we're a small business".
Communication takes seconds and keeps customers happy!
I know tons of side businesses that service customers as they should.
So that's my rant (from an easy going person)
Let's hear what you think!

You are so right Larry! Some of these companies have terrible customer service. I bought my most recent Zenith shaving brush from TheGentleShave. There was a similar Zenith brush that I really wanted, that had a longer handle. I could tell the site used to carry it, but it was out of stock. So I sent over an email, to ask them if they would get the brush I really wanted in stock. Guess what? Nearly a month later now, and they never responded to my inquiry.

I was forced to choose the Zenith brush I have now, with the shorter chubby handle, because what else was I going to do? When I googled the brush that I wanted, it appeared to be out of stock everywhere. The problem with ordering goods that are imported from Europe, is your only going to find two official dealers in the US, for said goods. And if the dealers don't have them, nobody does.

And the last time I tried to order my Omega 636 brush directly from Europe, it never got here. It actually went to Canada Nova Scotia if I remember correctly, before being returned to Europe. I was like, I am never going to do that again, so I think I re-ordered my Omega 636 brush from West Coast Shaving after that. I don't know what it is, but ordering from Europe feels like a crap shoot.

But yes, these companies need to do better with their communication. I don't wanna hear any excuses. If you run a store, where you sell goods, you need to communicate with your customers. You know what not answer emails would be like in a local brick and motar store? Let me paint you the scene, and see how you like it as a customer.

Customer walks into the shop, you hear the bell go DING when you open the door. You can see the store clerk standing behind the counter, reading a magazine, or surfing the net on their phone. They never once looked up and said hello and welcome, when the bell rang. You ask a question to the clerk where something might be, the clerk puts his hand in the air as if to indicate, hold on, but never answers the question, cause their too busy for you. Then you finally decide to look for it yourself, and after some time, you find what you need. You go up to the register, and with only half of the clerk's brain in use, they ring up your item, and say nothing while their head is still buried in the magazine or phone. Your left with the sense that the customer service there, well, what customer service, the store clerk never cared at all. So you the customer decide, this is the last time I am going to come into this shop again. And now the word starts getting out, that shop sucks, don't even go there. A year later, the shop closes its doors due to no sales. Gee, I wonder how that might have happened? Duhhhh!

Full House 90S Tv GIF

The ones here in uk are excellent. Good advice and goods always on time. Fantastic.
That's why I mentioned buying in Europe. I've done it plenty and it's always been great. I'd rather pay more than get bad service!

I expect the apologists to show up with the normal excuses and rationalizations after their favorite razor manufacturer gets mentioned in this thread. 😄

To your main point:

I don't understand it either. I've made my feelings pretty clear on this subject in other threads, so I'm staying out of this one.

I expect the apologists to show up with the normal excuses and rationalizations after their favorite razor manufacturer gets mentioned in this thread. 😄

To your main point:

I don't understand it either. I've made my feelings pretty clear on this subject in other threads, so I'm staying out of this one.
Well, hopefully nobody mentions any vendors. I didn't out of respect and hope that anyone with an opinion leaves that out of the conversation. I just created the post as a general thing that points out a big flaw in this industry.
Feel free to post!:)

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don't buy from shops that don't have a good rep.
It works because I've never had a problem with a business I've done business with.
If there's some new, small start up, I'll wait till there is feedback in.
Some folks like being the first one into the peanut butter jar.
I like making sure it's not rancid before I taste it.

This is an existing pattern for a lot unorganized, disconnected, uncustomer focused small to medium size businesses. Also big businesses are certainly not exempt from this. Basically they have enough business to sustain the bills, make a profit, and under pay there workers.
All we can do, is raise our voices to them, and also let your wallet do the talking. Make the choice, collectively we can make a difference.
But please make sure we also commend and compliment them when they get it right. It may seem strange these days but it helps.
Now if they really exceed your expectations...let them know...
We need to remember, we are so very lucky to have all these choices it selections and price. The lowest price may not be your best choice. I will pay extra (sure it depends) for a known better vendor, business, restaurant, store...
Support the ones that matter and try to do it right! It tough for them. My company is global. We have small and large office all over the map. Just think about this...the average worker in China work schedule is 9-9-6.
9am to 9pm , 6 days a week.....
Image you are a US citizen, waiter / waitress ..**** to no hourly pay...you have to survive on tips....bull..
So choose wisely my friends...

Cheers
BFX

Well, hopefully nobody mentions any vendors....

Hmm...I suspect that a thread about crappy vendor service might ultimately prompt the mention of specific crappy vendors, as well as praise for others.

Certainly there are many that get it right, though of course none are perfect, and there's always that one person that can't wait to point it out.

Now, if the question is:

Why do vendors in the wet shaving market seem less focused on customer service than vendors of other goods?

My response would be:

I've been lucky I guess...got no real complaints, and any problems I've had were ultimately resolved to my satisfaction. 🙂

Maggard's customer service is beyond excellent.

Unless you leave voice mail, and they do not call back.

One vendor I can think of is big UTuber East of Mississippi.

They send email like reminding you they are in business. No special pricing, few sales, and again they never answer voice messages.

I am sure some of these people wonder why business is crappy. Because their customer service is crappy.

I don't buy from shops that don't have a good rep.
It works because I've never had a problem with a business I've done business with.
If there's some new, small start up, I'll wait till there is feedback in.
Some folks like being the first one into the peanut butter jar.
I like making sure it's not rancid before I taste it.
And.... THERE IT IS!

It really depends on there business model, business flow. Some have no idea what customer connection and customer service is? Most that do, like Maggards, RazorRock/I.B., PAA..have a owner behind the customer service curtain and usually are prompt with follow-ups.. That is a start but not the end...
Again, choose wisely. Be vocal...let the wallet do the talking too..

Hmm...I suspect that a thread about crappy vendor service might ultimately prompt the mention of specific crappy vendors, as well as praise for others.

Certainly there are many that get it right, though of course none are perfect, and there's always that one person that can't wait to point it out.

Now, if the question is:

Why do vendors in the wet shaving market seem less focused on customer service than vendors of other goods?

My response would be:

I've been lucky I guess...got no real complaints, and any problems I've had were ultimately resolved to my satisfaction. 🙂
I should have specified:
What I meant was, I hope nobody mentions any bad vendors!
The good ones always need praise and should be mentioned by name.

Unless you leave voice mail, and they do not call back.

One vendor I can think of is big UTuber East of Mississippi.

They send email like reminding you they are in business. No special pricing, few sales, and again they never answer voice messages.

I am sure some of these people wonder why business is crappy. Because their customer service is crappy.
Honestly, I don't think most people use voice mail anymore!
My communication with vendors (and I'm sure most other people too) is via email or chat.
Matter of fact, I can't remember the last time I left a voicemail or received one.
So I wouldn't necessarily blame a vendor on bad customer service from the lack of hearing a voicemail. Voicemail is a legacy thing that's still included in phone plans but rarely gets used anymore. (Not to be confused with customer care via telephone that usually puts you in a cue and offers you a callback).
One other thing, that YouTube vendor that you mention has a contact page on their website which is probably their primary channel of communication with customers. I once had an issue with a purchase and they responded to me with a resolution in less than 24 hours!
My suggestion would be to use email or chat before anything else when contacting a company.

Last edited:
Well, hopefully nobody mentions any vendors. I didn't out of respect and hope that anyone with an opinion leaves that out of the conversation. I just created the post as a general thing that points out a big flaw in this industry.
Feel free to post!:)
Not just in this industry. Most e-commerce/ online shopping will not list or offer a voice or phone number. They do not want to deal with it and that is the pattern for most now.
Exceptions are some parts / services/ tech support hardware / software related businesses.
Email and or Chat..
It just trend in the disconnecting of the customer.
BFX
Questions: please email me or pm me. No phone or voice mail is available. I will be on vacation until September 30th. Don't worry your questions are important to me, sorta. I may look at them once I am back, if you are lucky. We value your business but we are busy doing other important stuff. If you don't like our service, just email us again. Someday we may answer. We already have your money.. That is way I am going on vacation.

Top Bottom