What's new

Pre shave oil

I had been seeing people on here talking about a pre shave product. I was at a what you would call a "discount store" last night perusing the shave aisle and came across Somerset's Extra sensitive shaving Oil.
Any feedback on this product? I used it tonight before putting on my TOBS and could tell a difference in my shave. The razor did glide better and I feel less irritation afterwards.
I think I'll keep using this as a pre shave. I don't think that this product was designed as a pre shave though

I had been seeing people on here talking about a pre shave product. I was at a what you would call a "discount store" last night perusing the shave aisle and came across Somerset's Extra sensitive shaving Oil.
Any feedback on this product? I used it tonight before putting on my TOBS and could tell a difference in my shave. The razor did glide better and I feel less irritation afterwards.
I think I'll keep using this as a pre shave. I don't think that this product was designed as a pre shave though
The name would make me think it is a Preshave oil, unless it's meant as a complete substitute for lather.

I was a regular Preshave oil user until I discovered John Allan's Slickwater. Does the same job very well, without the oil residue. TOBS has a somewhat similar gel.

The name would make me think it is a Preshave oil, unless it's meant as a complete substitute for lather.

I was a regular Preshave oil user until I discovered John Allan's Slickwater. Does the same job very well, without the oil residue. TOBS has a somewhat similar gel.
after reading the products website, it says it is a sub for lather. I'm very happy with my shave though so I'll keep it as my pre shave. I hope the place I bought it keeps it in stock and it wasn't a one off

Preshave oil works to reduce nicks and irritation by increasing the skin suppleness and pliability NOT by providing lubrication. The bottom line: Well-moisturized and supple skin does not cut or become irritated as easily as dry skin.
A pre-shave oil that PENETRATES the skin holds water in the skin, and the skin is better moisturized and very supple. When a blade drags across the well moisturized skin, the skin "gives" to the blade and will bend or conform significantly to the shape of the blade BEFORE it will be torn or cut by the blade. This is the property of being supple. On the other hand, if the skin is dry, it will not be very supple. When the blade drags across the skin, the skin will not give or conform to the blade but will instead instantly tear and/or become irritated.

+1

Well said!

I never heard of that brand. I tried pre-shave oil early on and just didn't like it. It didn't seem to make my hsaves any better, so I stopped. If it is working for you, more power to you!

I use Shave Secret because you can find it pretty easy. I've used it as both a substitute and with my lather and I like it. But I have very rough skin on the edge of neck line during the winter so I also kind of need it to keep me from getting cuts; it helps ease irritation after a shave too.

Top Bottom