What's new

Pre-Shave Oil?

Can I get some feedback on whether you use pre-shave oil and why or why not? I've tried it and I can't say it helps in any way. Is it supposed to provide more cushion, moisturizing and a closer shave? I can't see the benefit versus the current "top tier" shaving soaps like Zingari, CK6, B&M, WK, etc. etc.

Not that many people use it, it seems, but pre-shave oil has its fans. I think the effect is more to condition the skin in advance of the shave.

I personally prefer a good cleaning with a mild soap, followed by a couple of minutes letting the whiskers get hydrated. That softens the whiskers and makes the shave easier with less irritation. Dedicated pre-shave soaps like the PAA Cube work well, or even just mild glycerin face soap.

For a couple of months, I found an application of oil prior to lathering up was helpful when learning to straight shave. I was going slow and my lather would dry out - the oil helped keep up the slickness levels for a bit longer so I could make it to the end of a pass without having to refresh the lather. I didn't particularly like it, but it served a purpose. That's the only time I ever used it.

I use a pre-shave on days I do not shower before shaving. My facial hair is not coarse.

I have Badger pre-shave oil. I find that I can use it to soften the beard but then it needs to be thinned down a lot before shaving or the razor will drag and the slickness of the lather will be reduced.

I’ve used Stirling pre-shave this summer. It seems to leave my face more oily after I shave than I would prefer. In summer. I will give it a try in the winter when my face is naturally dryer and see what result I get.

My preference is to use the Proraso pre-shaves. The green with menthol is great in summer. The white is nice anytime. I think they add some cushion to my shaves. Perhaps a bit of protection.

In my opinion, they add a bit to my enjoyment of the shave.

Pre-shave oils make my hands feel…well…oily…and slippery. Not a safe state of affairs while gripping an instrument capable of slitting my throat. I used an oil once, spilled blood from a gaping facial wound because the blade slipped in my hand and have not used an oil since.

I use Grooming Dept pre shave. It's a cream. It does make a difference even if you're using a good quality soap. Most gents would splash some water on their face before a shave but that's simply not enough to get the best possible shave. Using the cream gets you to hydrate the beard and your skin to prep is for what is very harsh steel to pass over it. I would say most if not everyone that uses this pre shave product will say it makes a difference. I've not used anything else so have nothing to compare it against.

I received a bottle of The Art of Shaving pre-shave oil and used it while learning to wet shave then stopped as it really did not make a difference with or without it. With no added performance, the slippery mess it created was not worth the hassle so now it is packed away in some cupboard.

I suppose I could use it as a post shave balm as it does smell great, like all TAOS sandalwood products.

I use a pre-shave on days I do not shower before shaving. My facial hair is not coarse.

I have Badger pre-shave oil. I find that I can use it to soften the beard but then it needs to be thinned down a lot before shaving or the razor will drag and the slickness of the lather will be reduced.

I’ve used Stirling pre-shave this summer. It seems to leave my face more oily after I shave than I would prefer. In summer. I will give it a try in the winter when my face is naturally dryer and see what result I get.

My preference is to use the Proraso pre-shaves. The green with menthol is great in summer. The white is nice anytime. I think they add some cushion to my shaves. Perhaps a bit of protection.

In my opinion, they add a bit to my enjoyment of the shave.
I'm in the same camp...it's either one of the two Proraso's I have or the PAA Cube...or lately if it's a higher end soap I just use the soap leftover in the tub from brush loading and smear it in really good.
I've have a handful of different scented oils from Stirling and one of the Lather and Wood brand, and while I don't mind the feel of these as a preshave just don't really perceive much benefit to my skin so they rarely get used anymore.

Curious, wouldn't extra oil applied before shaving weaken the effectiveness of a shaving soap as the soap will react with the oils? Believe the soap molecules surround the oil molecules so that water easily rinses them off. Would suspect those soap molecules can no longer surround tiny air bubbles to make lather. Have seen posts in soap making forums warning what excess oil will weaken the soaps lathering ability. Anyone with a related chemistry background please chime in to clarify.

My pre-shave routine is to just wash my face to remove dirt and natural skin oils so nothing interferes with my shaving soap/cream lather. Also any dirt on ones skin can prematurely dull our blades.

Top Bottom