What's new

Pre shave Powder? Anyone

Been experimenting with pre shaves that past week or so. I have the Tabac pre shave which imho is a great scent and leaves my skin soft and in great condition. Also Gold (Yardley?) again a great scent and can pair with Ceruti 1881 AS etc and / or Eau Sauvage.

However came across shave powder and bought a small (but kinda expensive) tub of Blocmen Aloe pre shave powder.

Screenshot_20240323-112319_1.png

Now it smells great, goes on ok, its a compressed powder so does sprinkle a little on your collar, but leaves the face so soft and for me has made my electric shaves even closer. So has anybody else tried this product (remember I'm in the UK) and is there a cheaper alternative to try, say regular talc? I've done some research via YouTube and Google but most results are.....well, inconclusive and US based products are featured.

I used to use regular talc years ago. It seems to have disappeared due to health scares. Possible asbestos content. Most of the powders now are corn starch based and I dabble with those. Problem is.....they are and always have been messy. I believe even the sticks can crumble quite easily. The razors need a LOT of cleaning after use.

I used to use regular talc years ago. It seems to have disappeared due to health scares. Possible asbestos content. Most of the powders now are corn starch based and I dabble with those. Problem is.....they are and always have been messy. I believe even the sticks can crumble quite easily. The razors need a LOT of cleaning after use.
Yep I can confirm they crumble easily and are messy.

Bought a small bottle, tube of medicated talc (100% no talc if that makes sense ) the weekend and have used it instead of the shave powder and can confirm that in my case it dose exactly the same. Only difference is the scent. The shave powder has an alovera scent where the medicated powder has a medicine scent. Both provide great silky smooth shaves but the medicated cost £1.for 200gr while the dedicated shave powder cost £ 9.98 for 20gr.

I've used the Remington version of that powder stick in the past, and it works fairly well reducing drag/friction. If your razor can do wet shaving, some Gel, Lather, or Soap still works a bit better.

On a side note, Afta Pre-Shave lotion is also VERY good, if you can find it in the stores any longer.

Top Bottom