What's new

Pre-Shave Oil?

I think the question I'd want to know is the condition of the skin after a shave using preshave versus no preshave. It would probably depend a lot on the person, soap, and preshave.
Suspect YMMV here like most other things related to shaving. The key would be to find some independent fact based research.

Personally my perspective on the pre-shave oil debate is that it doesn't make sense to apply something to my skin that will react with and possibly weaken my soap based lather prior to a shave. The evidence I have from my shaving experience is that washing my face, with regular soap and water to remove dirt and natural skin oil immediately prior to a shave, enables superior performance from my lather with better overall shaves. From others posts on B&B and elsewhere this is a fairly common experience and recommendation.

Doesn't make sense to me to then apply a substance that is similar to much of what was just washed off. Again my view/experience. Everyone should do what works best for them.

Last edited:
I'm not a huge fan of oil, though I use Musgo Real oil occasionally -- Proraso preshave cream is my daily driver
Preshave cream makes sense for those that prefer it as it's applied and left on the face prior to applying lather to better protect the skin and enable an improved shave. Wonder if it has the effect of superlathering the shave soap that follows for those that face lather?

I use Noxzema or Proraso Prep and sometimes Ach Brito Glyce. I used to use oils, but I prefer the creams. The idea, as I understand it, is the oil is to moisturize and condition the skin thus preventing nicks.

I do not use a pre shave oil. Tried a few when I started learning how to use a straight razor and felt it was a waste of time. The shave was no better using them and actually felt like I had a better shave without them. I ended up throwing away all my pre-shave oils after trying them again a year or so later and confirming my findings. The only thing pre shave oil added was an extra expense in my case.

I used a pre-shave more than a decade ago when I started wet shaving exclusively. I tried Proraso and another brand I can't recall. I did not like my hands being covered in pre-shave "something," and I felt I needed to wash them before shaving. I also felt like it clogged my razor more and the pores of my face. Then, I spent extra time after my shave washing my face. Ultimately, the pre-shave proved to be expensive, and unlike my soaps that last a very long time, I was restocking pre-shave products frequently. Now, I shower before I shave and use a face wash from Ursa Major Skincare. My pre-shave shower, face wash, and great quality soaps provide a fantastic shave that saves me time and money. YMMV

I have used a pre-shave oil, and soap off and on. I just have not seen the benefit of using a pre-shave. I shower and wash my face before a shave and that seems to work perfectly.

Suspect YMMV here like most other things related to shaving. The key would be to find some independent fact based research.

Personally my perspective on the pre-shave oil debate is that it doesn't make sense to apply something to my skin that will react with and possibly weaken my soap based lather prior to a shave. The evidence I have from my shaving experience is that washing my face, with regular soap and water to remove dirt and natural skin oil immediately prior to a shave, enables superior performance from my lather with better overall shaves. From others posts on B&B and elsewhere this is a fairly common experience and recommendation.

Doesn't make sense to me to then apply a substance that is similar to much of what was just washed off. Again my view/experience. Everyone should do what works best for them.
I use a home-made pre-shave oil that is primarily argan oil. In my case the oil is quickly absorbed into my skin. By the time the brush is loaded with lather there is no noticeable residue of the oil, so your concerns about the oil inhibiting the soap's properties do not seem to apply in my case. I don't notice any improved glide from the use of pre-shave oil, but it does make the facial skin more supple and less prone to being cut or nicked. This makes sense to me, since I generally have dry skin and find that I will often get cuts on my fingers from banging into hard objects where someone with more "normal" skin will not. (Of course, it would also help if I were less clumsy).

I use a home-made pre-shave oil that is primarily argan oil. In my case the oil is quickly absorbed into my skin. By the time the brush is loaded with lather there is no noticeable residue of the oil, so your concerns about the oil inhibiting the soap's properties do not seem to apply in my case. I don't notice any improved glide from the use of pre-shave oil, but it does make the facial skin more supple and less prone to being cut or nicked. This makes sense to me, since I generally have dry skin and find that I will often get cuts on my fingers from banging into hard objects where someone with more "normal" skin will not. (Of course, it would also help if I were less clumsy).
Hi Steve,

I'm glad to hear that Argan oil works well for you. Something that is fully absorbed into the skin is less likely to interfere with shaving soap lather as the hydrophobic action of soap that attracts fatty acids, per the research I've seen, appears to work on substances on the surface of the skin. Have not seen any research on soaps effect on substances absorbed into the skin.

A published summary of research titled "Anti-Inflammatory and Skin Barrier Repair Effects of Topical Application of Some Plant Oils" in the International Journal of Molecular Sciences (2017) (see link below) on the use of plant oils on skin provides some evidence to support your experience and noted that Argan oil does appear to provide benefits:

"Argan oil is produced from the kernels of Argania spinosa L. Argan oil is composed of mono-unsaturated (80%) and saturated (20%) fatty acids. It contains polyphenols, tocopherols, sterols, squalene, and triterpene alcohols. Traditionally, argan oil has been utilized in cooking, in the treatment of skin infections, and in skin/hair care products. Daily topical application of argan oil has also been shown to improve skin elasticity [ 81 ] and skin hydration by restoring the barrier function and maintaining the water-holding capacity [ 123 ]. Additionally, topical applications onto skin provide a softening and relaxing effect on the skin, as well as helping to facilitate the accumulation and transdermal delivery of topical drugs such as allantoin [ 82 ]. Recently, tocopherol-rich argan oil-based nanoemulsions has been developed as vehicles possessing anticancer activity in murine breast and colon carcinoma cells [ 83 ]. Argan oil has also been shown to be effective in enhancing WH created second-degree burns in rats [84]." (quote from article noted above)

While there was no specific research noted on how Argan oil is absorbed into the skin the research paper did note that oils with mostly unsaturated fatty acids tend to be better absorbed into the skin. As Argan oil, per the above, is 80% unsaturated fatty acids this may be why it appears to be absorbed so quickly and as a result works well for you. The research even noted that Argan oil helps with the transdermal delivery of topical drugs further supporting that it is well absorbed into skin. This varies by oil with the research paper noting that oils such as almond, jojoba, soybean, and avocado oils tend to stay on the surface of the skin.

Other research on the web noted typical times of 15 to 30 minutes for products to be absorbed by the skin so you may want to experiment with the time between application of your homemade pre-shave oil and lather application to see what delivers the best results.

The bottom line, based on your experience and this research, is that a beneficial pre-shave oil, that is fully absorbed into the skin prior to shaving, while it may not directly effect the quality of the shave, may enhance the resilience of your skin for a better post-shave result. Evidence still points to a strong likelihood that oils remaining on the surface of the skin may not provide any benefit and could be interfering with the effectiveness of your shaving soap lather.

Steve, thank you for posting on your experience, combined with the above research we've hopefully improved our understanding of the benefits, or lack thereof, from pre-shave oils pending availability of more definitive research in the future.

Link to research paper noted above:

I know it's not an oil but I do love my PAA preshave Cube 2.0
A pre-shave soap is very different from an oil and can benefit a shave via a superlathering effect. Looking at the PAA Cube 2.0 directions one is first washing there face using the PAA cube in place of regular soap and then reapplying the Cube again as a superlathering agent.

PAA Pre-shave Cube 2.0 Directions: "Before shaving, wash face with CUBE. This “Degreases” the face. Immediately before applying lather, wet and rub CUBE against the grain, do not rinse off, apply lather on top. You need only apply CUBE before first pass."

Unclear why this would be a better "degreaser" than washing with regular soap (other than scent) though I get the superlathering benefit from the second application of the cube.

Glad this works well for you. Keep using it if you like it. My only suggestion would be to experiment with washing with regular soap and just applying the CUBE prior to lathering and seeing if you notice any difference in the quality of your shaves. Could double the life of your shaving cubes though at around $10 each they are not that expensive.

Hi Steve,

I'm glad to hear that Argan oil works well for you. Something that is fully absorbed into the skin is less likely to interfere with shaving soap lather as the hydrophobic action of soap that attracts fatty acids, per the research I've seen, appears to work on substances on the surface of the skin. Have not seen any research on soaps effect on substances absorbed into the skin.

A published summary of research titled "Anti-Inflammatory and Skin Barrier Repair Effects of Topical Application of Some Plant Oils" in the International Journal of Molecular Sciences (2017) (see link below) on the use of plant oils on skin provides some evidence to support your experience and noted that Argan oil does appear to provide benefits:

"Argan oil is produced from the kernels of Argania spinosa L. Argan oil is composed of mono-unsaturated (80%) and saturated (20%) fatty acids. It contains polyphenols, tocopherols, sterols, squalene, and triterpene alcohols. Traditionally, argan oil has been utilized in cooking, in the treatment of skin infections, and in skin/hair care products. Daily topical application of argan oil has also been shown to improve skin elasticity [ 81 ] and skin hydration by restoring the barrier function and maintaining the water-holding capacity [ 123 ]. Additionally, topical applications onto skin provide a softening and relaxing effect on the skin, as well as helping to facilitate the accumulation and transdermal delivery of topical drugs such as allantoin [ 82 ]. Recently, tocopherol-rich argan oil-based nanoemulsions has been developed as vehicles possessing anticancer activity in murine breast and colon carcinoma cells [ 83 ]. Argan oil has also been shown to be effective in enhancing WH created second-degree burns in rats [84]." (quote from article noted above)

While there was no specific research noted on how Argan oil is absorbed into the skin the research paper did note that oils with mostly unsaturated fatty acids tend to be better absorbed into the skin. As Argan oil, per the above, is 80% unsaturated fatty acids this may be why it appears to be absorbed so quickly and as a result works well for you. The research even noted that Argan oil helps with the transdermal delivery of topical drugs further supporting that it is well absorbed into skin. This varies by oil with the research paper noting that oils such as almond, jojoba, soybean, and avocado oils tend to stay on the surface of the skin.

Other research on the web noted typical times of 15 to 30 minutes for products to be absorbed by the skin so you may want to experiment with the time between application of your homemade pre-shave oil and lather application to see what delivers the best results.

The bottom line, based on your experience and this research, is that a beneficial pre-shave oil, that is fully absorbed into the skin prior to shaving, while it may not directly effect the quality of the shave, may enhance the resilience of your skin for a better post-shave result. Evidence still points to a strong likelihood that oils remaining on the surface of the skin may not provide any benefit and could be interfering with the effectiveness of your shaving soap lather.

Steve, thank you for posting on your experience, combined with the above research we've hopefully improved our understanding of the benefits, or lack thereof, from pre-shave oils pending availability of more definitive research in the future.

Link to research paper noted above:

This is great information! I just ordered some Argan Oil from Amazon. I'm looking forward to using this for a pre-shave and for hair.

This is great information! I just ordered some Argan Oil from Amazon. I'm looking forward to using this for a pre-shave and for hair.
Let us know how this works for you. This is an interesting topic that likely doesn't have simple answer given all the years of debate here.

Doesn’t hurt, a bit of a hassle but fun to use if you’re in that mood.

Currently I’m not using any preshave but I wouldn’t mind getting a jar of the Proraso preshave soap, it’s been a couple years. I always come back to Proraso stuff after a while. Don’t we all?

I'm not a huge fan of oil, though I use Musgo Real oil occasionally -- Proraso preshave cream is my daily driver
Interesting that this premium ($50 for 100ml) pre-shave oil includes oils, such as its #1 ingredient almond oil and soybean oil, that the research noted in my post #52 above indicates tend to stat on the surface of one's skin with the result that it could actually interfere with your shaving soap lather.

On the occasions when you use it does it all get absorbed into your skin or can you detect a thin layer on the surface?

Musgo ingredients:
"Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Isopropyl Myristate, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Camphor, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Mentha Viridis (Spearmint) Leaf Oil, Tocopherol, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil."

Possibly, but I suspect oil may be a better bet. Let me explain. Pre-shave oil, while theoretically prohibiting perfect lather:hair interface, would only have that detriment to the first pass. It's the first pass that likely causes most irritation. This is where the oil is beneficial as an added cushion. Oil's all gone by second pass, but much less facial hair means easier glide. Just a thought ...

I'm tempted to revise my original posting having tried oil several more times. It does seem to work. Oddly, though, I swear one oil works much better than the other so maybe the ingredients vs. every individual face is also important -- a brand that works for me may not work for someone else.
Hi Greg,

@Steve_in_CT recently added a post to this thread regarding his use of a homemade pre-shave oil using Argan oil that is absorbed into his skin prior to lathering. Got me intrigued enough to dig in to some more research on this topic that I've shared in post #52 in this thread above.

Basically the research shows that depending on composition some oils, like Argan oil, may be more readily absorbed into the skin than others. If absorbed, while it has limited if any direct effect on the shave, it can make the skin more resilient for a better post-shave result. Also if absorbed it's likely that the oil may no longer interfere with lather effectiveness.

Have a look at the more detailed post #52 above. Do the pre-shave oils that work best for you tend to be fully absorbed into your skin prior to the application of lather? Wondering if the effect described above is what is really driving the improved shaves you noticed with the brand that you noted works best for you?

Interesting that this premium ($50 for 100ml) pre-shave oil includes oils, such as its #1 ingredient almond oil and soybean oil, that the research noted in my post #52 above indicates tend to stat on the surface of one's skin with the result that it could actually interfere with your shaving soap lather.

On the occasions when you use it does it all get absorbed into your skin or can you detect a thin layer on the surface?

Musgo ingredients:
"Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Isopropyl Myristate, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Camphor, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Mentha Viridis (Spearmint) Leaf Oil, Tocopherol, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil."
Musgo pre-oil feels to me to stay on the surface. I don't really think too hard about it .. whatever it does, it delivers in spades and makes for a great shave. It does not inhibit the lather at all. Proraso and Cella do a fine job just the same... For me Musgo oil is a luxury item I like for special occasions.

A few days ago I received my first PAA the Cube. How do you guys use it? Wash and then rinse? Or leave on the face and apply lather on top?

Top Bottom