What's new

New to Wet Shaving Frustration

Welcome
The advice on skin prep is very good advice. Washing the face pre-shave is very helpful as it softens the whiskers and prepares the skin for the shave by washing off the staph bacteria. Personally, my shaves go at least 20 times better if I wash my face and neck pre-shave. Use a quality soap for the face wash though, you don't want to dry out your skin.

1. Lose the Feather. Terrible blade. I’ve been DE shaving for 50 years and I can’t handle them. Just about any other blade would be better. I like Lord blades; Personna Lab Blues work well on every face.

2. Not a fan of shave oil. May not work well with water-based lather.

3. Until you get the hang of it shave with the grain only, one pass.

4. Change only one variable at a time. Use the same lather you used with carts. Feel free to use canned foam.

5. Shave every other day for a while. Give your skin a break.

1. Lose the Feather. Terrible blade. I’ve been DE shaving for 50 years and I can’t handle them. Just about any other blade would be better. I like Lord blades; Personna Lab Blues work well on every face.

4. Change only one variable at a time. Use the same lather you used with carts. Feel free to use canned foam.

Excellent advice here.

The Feather simply may not suit you, so try something like and Astra SP or perhaps Perma-Sharp.

You don't say what setting you use your Viking Chieftain on: perhaps try a lower setting.

I'd also suggest cold water shaving too. This can lower irritation. I switched from hot water to cold a few months ago, and rarely suffer any irritation at all, unless I go too aggressively over my neck area.

I would not call the Feather a terrible blade, it is extremely popular for good reason. I purchased a pack of Persona Patinums and hate them, even though they are highly regarded by others. Blade preference is highly subjective, just like razor choice is.

All covered above, best of luck. Patience and finding a smart shaving process that works for you ( hardware & software)...Technic will come..
BFX

Slow & Easy

As someone else said, I'm not sure you're actually shaving with the grain (WTG). I thought the same when I started: I was starting the shave "north to south" on my neck. I have since learned that, for me, WTG on my neck is actually "south to north." For me that simple change made a huge difference.

Exactly. The left side of my neck WTG stroke is actually west to east!! Took me six months to figure that out :)

Top Bottom