What's new

New to the Wet Shave

Hi. I am new to the traditional wet shave and I am loving it so far. I used to use a cartridge razor and I hated shaving. Now I look forward to my daily shave. I did have one quick question. I am wondering how long a shave soap will generally last. And I seem to feel like it would be different based on it being a solid puck or a soft soap. Any feedback here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have tubs of soap that are a couple years old. I never lather in the tub, I always use a lather bowl. Keeps everything fresh but I can definitely tell the strength of the scents dwindles over time. Most of my soaps are softer soaps in a tub like Stirling or PAA. Ive heard if you lather in the tub and put away wet bacteria can grow in there and your soap can go bad, but I have not seen this because I just dont do it. I like my soap tubs open as little as possible so im usually just opening for a quick whiff, or getting a bit out for a shave.

Triple Milled hard pucks last me 100-150 shaves. You could say 1g per shave.

Soft Soaps and creams about 2-3g per shave. So a 100g tube or tub would be 35-50 shaves for me. That #g may be a bit high, it's been while since I used a tub of cream or tracked usage.

I use them from start to finish and don't rotate them.

Thank you all for the great feedback. I have some soft soaps and I want to try a hard soap like Mitchell’s wool fat. But I have wanted to know if I got more shaves for the higher price tag. It sounds like that could be a big yes. I also am curious at the rate I’m going through my soft soaps and it sounds about right.

Thank you all for the great feedback. I have some soft soaps and I want to try a hard soap like Mitchell’s wool fat. But I have wanted to know if I got more shaves for the higher price tag. It sounds like that could be a big yes. I also am curious at the rate I’m going through my soft soaps and it sounds about right.

How much soap you use depends on you, for instance what type of brush, size of the brush, how heavy you load the brush and how many passes you do. If you use a shave stick, you usually apply the soap directly to the face.

You will be able to estimate an average per shave after a bit of practice. For me, this is about 0.5 - 0.75 grams per shave for a hard soap; 1.0 - 1.5 grams per shave for a soft soap. Do the math, that works out to about 200 shaves per 150g hard soap, or 100 shaves per 150g soft soap (more or less).

If you're here because you want to save money, your best bet is to buy a cheap DE razor and a can of foam and leave it at that.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Triple Milled hard pucks last me 100-150 shaves. You could say 1g per shave.

Soft Soaps and creams about 2-3g per shave. So a 100g tube or tub would be 35-50 shaves for me. That #g may be a bit high, it's been while since I used a tub of cream or tracked usage.

I use them from start to finish and don't rotate them.
This would be my reply also. A general rule of thumb (hard soaps = 100-150 shaves and softer soaps like Proraso/Cella, a.k.a croaps, half the life of hard soaps).

Depending on how you use the product, you might extend or get more shaves from that product. If I use a stiff brush (boar as an example versus a badger finest) it will use more soap. It also depends on how big your brush is, if you only make lather to shave your cheeks or proceed to a full shave (full face or full face+head).

The above figures would be (for me) for a full face shave.

These days, I face lather. I load the product directly from the soap and then build the lather. I stopped rinsing the soap when I was done. I only clean the outside of the container. I've been using the same tub of Prosaso Green since early December as a daily soap. I feel like I'm getting closer to the end but not yet.

...and welcome to B&B!

Top Bottom