What's new

Shaving Oil as Pre-Shave?

I vaguely recall reading somewhere about pre-shave oil and how someone said it transformed his shaving experience.

As someone who has used Proraso’s pre-shave and been left unimpressed, is there an alternate product that any of you recommend? An oil does sound like it would perform better than what I used from Proraso.

They work great if you don't know how to lather properly.

RazoRock Pre Barba was a good one.

GFT Lime Skin Food would be my suggestion. Once you learn to lather, you can use it as a post shave product.

A hot shower should be all that is needed. The preshave oils/creams you apply before lathering, will make the lather slicker, none of them will soften your whiskers.

Last edited:
For me, oil is too messy on the hands, sink, and razor. I like Proraso pre-shave, but don't use it all that often anymore. What is it that you didn't like about Poraso that you think you might find in another product?

I've used Shave Secret as a pre-shave and had good results. It is not marketed as a pre-shave oil, but rather a stand alone no soap or cream just rub on and shave kind of deal. And honestly, it works well that way too.

I used up a bottle of Colonel Conk's pre-shave a few years back as well.

But that was when there were a lot more days in between shaves for me. These days I shave every other day, so a pre-shave oil is not necessary. The shower and a quick application of hair conditioner on my stubble just before getting out (I leave it on while preparing to shave) is adequate softening for me.

I find Jack Black Beard Lube works well as a pre-shave (when wanted or needed) and is not messy like shave oil. Just a pea size amount is all you need on a wet face.

I like the smell of Proraso pre-shave (and still have a couple unopened) but it's not as effective as pre-shave oil.
I'm in the UK and have a big 500ml refill pouch of Bluebeards Revenge oil which seems to be lasting forever but it does leave my hands sticky and they take ages to clean. I have ordered the Exec Shaving water soluble oil (UK again) to see if that does a better job. I only use pre-shave on days I don't have time to shower. On days where I don't even have time for pre-shave then I just use a less aggressive razor and blade combination.

The goal is really to prep your whiskers by cleaning the face and hydrating the whiskers. Oil by itself is not really ideal for this. Better pre-shaves are closer to a light shaving cream, cleansing cream or even a glycerin soap that you wash your face with.

One of the best (and cheapest) preshave products is the Equate version of Noxzema. Use just a little to wash your face with. You can leave it on for a couple minutes while you do something else. Rinse most of it off before lathering up. As long as you like eucalyptus and menthol, you can't really beat it since a big 12 oz. jar costs around $3 and lasts ages. Believe it or not, the Equate brand stuff is better than the current Noxzema since they reformulated it. Jack Black cream works well, too, but costs a lot more.

I use a pre-shave 99% of the time, but the only oil that has worked for me is the Musgo Real -- it's super light and seems to have other ingredients in it.
Any other oil I tried didn't do a thing.
I prefer Cella and RazoRock pre-barba and Proraso. Glycerin soaps also do the trick.

I vaguely recall reading somewhere about pre-shave oil and how someone said it transformed his shaving experience.

As someone who has used Proraso’s pre-shave and been left unimpressed, is there an alternate product that any of you recommend? An oil does sound like it would perform better than what I used from Proraso.
Olive oil, vegetable oil, soy oil any of those oils work much better than a commercial pre-shave oil. If you're still a beginner and your lather is poor then I can recommend you using oil. Even if you're an experienced shaver you still can use them. I don't use them anymore. You could even use only oil to shave with (no creams), I did that for a period. When using oils your face will feel super smooth after you're done shaving.

The Proraso pre-shave cream is great for razor rash. I used to get a lot of rash in the early days of my DE shaving journey. All I did was apply some Proraso pre-shave cream on the affected area and it was gone for good.

Today I tried the the Exec Shaving water soluble oil for the first time and it's quite clever how it seems to stick well but then, after about 4 washes, completely disolves to nothing. Lasts just enough to support a shave but no persistant oily mess that takes a hand cleaning product (time, money, and counter clutter) to remove before shaving. It's not cheap but you get 150ml which is more than most other brand standard sizes and the dispenser seems to give the right amount in one squirt.

I've used oils in the past, however I am not a fan of the oiliness. I like the Proraso Prep and Noxzema as my standard go-to's, however I also like the Ach Brito Glyce soap as a pre-shave. It is my understanding the primary use of pre-shave is simply to hydrate the skin as properly moisturized skin is less like to to tear.

@FormAndFunction , fairly extensive thread on this topic via the link below.

I've used a pre-shave oil and other pre-shaves. I have Proraso and PAA cubes. All very good! I do favor the cube over Proraso. But my go-to pre-shave soap is by Razor Emporium. I love the scent and it is super slick.

Interesting read.
I actually use a preshave oil (which I make myself and hope to sell oneday).
I'm interested to hear how some say that they don't like the oiliness too.

I think two possibilities are that they are using too much or the product contains medium to heavy oils. The oil blend I now make after many attempts is a blend of four oils (grapeseed, jojoba, sesame and sweet almond), but it absorbs fast. It's is a dry oil so very light oil feel remains but I find that I get a fantastic close shave off this and no irritation.
Plus the post shave feel is great since the oil absorbs into the skin. There is no post shave stickiness or lingering oily feeling, just a well moisturized skin feel. I only do 1 pass with my Feather blade.
I feel (IMHO) that the jojoba oil does help to soften the whiskers too. I will be trying a new iteration with Marula and or Argan oil for added hair softening qualities.

I too used to use the prorasso preshave cream and I am going to be developing my own version this year to try and combine the benefits of the oil and stearic acid.

I have also found that skincare in general also affects shave results. YMMV but in my experience dry skin doesn't respond well to razors so I also apply a moisturiser or facial oil at night too.

I have tried Trumper’s Skin Food, Art of Shaving pre-shave and Shave Secret. The results weren’t that great and some left an oily residue. I found that a facial wash mixes well with shaving cream or soap and also rinses off well.

They work great if you don't know how to lather properly.

RazoRock Pre Barba was a good one.

GFT Lime Skin Food would be my suggestion. Once you learn to lather, you can use it as a post shave product.

A hot shower should be all that is needed. The preshave oils/creams you apply before lathering, will make the lather slicker, none of them will soften your whiskers.
An alternative suggestion - as I normally shower pre-bed time.
My mornings are very volatile, Directing management teams here on the West Coast as well as ones in NC and MA.
On top of that, I am the morning riser of the house getting my kids up, prepped and off to school every morning.

Almost impossible for me to be able to set a morning routine due to my meeting schedules which usually kickoff within 1/2H of me completing my morning family duties.

On days where I have skipped shaves, I like to use Proraso Single Blade Beard Balm as a leave-in conditioner of sorts after my morning face wash. Given my normal "break" somewhere in the neighborhood of 10AM Pacific, gives an opportunity for the Eucalyptus and Menthol to provide a subtle kick from the Wood & Spice until I can simmer down and enjoy my peaceful shave.

Believe it or not, I use this. (Tastes great on salads, too.)

1709690558252.png

I tried Almond Oil for many shaves and then a few shaves without it. I found it made no real difference.

My soap already contains adequate fat (coconut oil, etc.) so come to think of it, I don't think the almond oil helped much.

For me, if I can skip one more step in the already rather lengthy shaving routine, it's a big bonus. Plus more money saved to spend on other stuff like razors and blades.

Top Bottom