What's new

How do I stop RAD? Serious question.

I started out collecting Gillettes and eventually ended up with almost one of everything, except for the really rare ones. I found out my ideal combination and now I focus my efforts on cleaning, repairing, and restoring the Gillettes for fellow members.

My best advice would be to try em out and find the one that works for you and stick with it! Good luck!

I don't want to sound like I'm giving a flippant answer, because as much as we joke about RAD, I can personally attest to purchasing shaving gear when I know I shouldn't, know I don't have the money, and know I don't need whatever it is that I'm buying. For me, I think it's the chase of finding a better shave. My daily driver was, until about two weeks ago, literally the second razor I purchased. I'm about 60 razors in at this point, and I've finally found one that gives me a better shave than my Mühle R41. At nearly the same time, I was lucky enough to score a superb Rooney Finest brush. Honestly, I can say that since I got those two things, my desire to acquire new gear has subsided greatly, but I'm sincerely hoping my RAD doesn't come back. Also, finding the brush and razor to "end" my ADs was not an inexpensive ordeal.

I wish you the best of luck, brother. Maybe your question will be shorter and cheaper than mine...

I have a friend who collects Swiss mechanical watches and once spent $12,000 in one month. A friend, yeah, really. My point is you could have chosen a worse hobby. Enjoy it!

But seriously, even in a hobby like this, never borrow to buy, and never postpone family expenses in order to support your hobby. Obviously I am the friend I described above, and it was a severe problem for me, and I overcame it. If friends here can help, so much the better. If not seek counseling, don't let it get out of hand.

Best,

Tim

Last edited:
... I'm about 60 razors in at this point, and I've finally found one that gives me a better shave than my Mühle R41. At nearly the same time, I was lucky enough to score a superb Rooney Finest brush. Honestly, I can say that since I got those two things, my desire to acquire new gear has subsided greatly, but I'm sincerely hoping my RAD doesn't come back. Also, finding the brush and razor to "end" my ADs was not an inexpensive ordeal.

I can relate on all counts! I bet this is a popular approach though...

Now, an ATT and R41 coupled with a Kent BK8 and Simpson Chubby 2 > my RAD is way down.

I am getting up the energy to start lists of stuff to barter / sell / pif...

SO - to address the OP. From the philosophical side...:001_rolle, when you find your heart's desire hardware, the search will stop. I am sure it's not the only way, but it worked for me - so far...:laugh:

Last edited:
Answer to the question, on how to stop RAD.

Stop getting advice from those who have RAD!!!
Would you get advice from a current alcoholic on how to stop drinking alcohol?
Most people here are enablers. Very few exceptions.

If you are serious about stopping your RAD, then stop logging onto B&B, and stay away from eBay.

You could start a drug addiction or boating. Won't be anymore money left to shave with. Or you could realize there are worse things to be spending your money on and just have fun.

If you are serious about stopping your RAD, then stop logging onto B&B, and stay away from eBay.

This. And it may come off as simplistic but you have to have willpower to stop the RAD. If you can't muster up the will power then joining all the restraints on the board won't help. I'm in the restraint until fall, and we've lost a good number to temptation.

Good point - if you really are serious about overcoming RAD, this is undoubtedly the absolute worst place to look for advice!:001_smile

You're fine. I started DE shaving in February. I now have 22 vintage Gillettes, 6 Gems, 1 Schick, 2 Durham Duplex and 4 straights. I have bought/sold/traded 32 others, but who's counting!
Once you get what you're looking for, RAD subsides. For me, it was one of each major Gillette type, then Gems.
Agree with the final point.
My interest in wet shaving is focused more on simplifying than choice.
I bought 3 razors and ditched two once I'd tried Mühle R41 for a week.
I did go a bit crazy trying blades and concluded that I was finding almost no difference so I bought 300 Shark SS blades because they're ultra cheap and yet really well made. Plus the logo/packaging is totally seductive.
And I have not regretted that choice. In fact I periodically use some of the Astras remaining from when I was trying various blades and they cause slight irritation. The outcome is the same for both, yet Shark are incredibly irritation-free and I seldom get weepers even on the first day of a blade.
So, because of all of that, my RAD subsided very quickly. But I remain hooked on B&B and cannot stay away from it. So the hobby persists, free-of-charge :001_smile

linty1

My wallet cries.
For me I make sure I finish the cream or two I'm using before I buy another one, it takes a while sure (that stick of arko just won't quit!) but it works. As for razors.... I don't know, i have a superspeed on the way and have been eyeing a futur.... So..... Until my wife yells at me?

I got all the Razors I wanted... well except for my Unicorn, an Open Comb Slant. So my RAD is gone. I only wanted these Razors, Super adjustable, Tech, Red Tip, NEW LC, OT Single Ring, and ATT R2 Altas, Some Open Comb Slant...

Well, I thought about it, and there is another option.
It requires several steps, and might be more fun.

1. Pick two of your favorite razors, and set them aside.
2. Buy your favorite beer, drink about 4.
3. Take photos of all your remaining razors, and post them for sale on BST, for a very fair price, especially to me, for offering this free advice.
4. When they are all sold, start again with your RAD.
5. After a preset date, start at #1, and go through to #4, again.

Soon, you will become tired of this and quit, or you can keep it up indefinitely.
Problem solved.

Top Bottom