What's new

My new breakfast indulgence.

Around 15 years ago I found a little cafe near the Melbourne markets, the owner made the best scrambled eggs I have ever tasted.

I managed to get out of him that he used cream, but he wouldn't divulge the other ingredients. I, still to this day, have been unable to make them taste the same.

I really should go back and see if he's still there, but after so long, I doubt it.

I used to be a chef for Gordon Ramsay. Scrambled Eggs were under a microscope there, you can imagine.

My sous chefs insisted I start with unmelted butter and the raw egg IN the non stick pot, all the mixing and light stirring done in the pot to ensure you don't break the curds.

The finishing touch was the milk/creme to ensure the richness and moisture of the egg, of which the moisture was cooked out. This is how you cook an egg hard but make it have a silky texture.

Big fan of Gordon's method, came in here to post it

Last edited by a moderator:
Cold butter cut into small cubes works well too. I add the butter to the eggs, and beat it all together. Of course you still melt more butter in the pan as well. The fat in the butter (and cream) like the cream helps keep the proteins from binding so tight. Also, low low low heat.

This is how I do it too. I got the recipe from some James Bond short story a million years ago. It's great.

many many years ago I worked at a café. a 115 pound man was there all week for a convention. ate 12 over easy for 4 straight days. hell one customer put mustard o n them.

Made scrambled eggs the Ramsey way for lunch just now, after watching the video Aaron posted above, although I didn't have any cream or creme fraiche to hand and just used a splash of milk instead. I don't know if it was psychological but the eggs turned out pretty well!

I've been using the Gordon Ramsey method the last few days, cracking the eggs directly into a hot pan and scrambling them at the same time they are heating up. Not only is it a tremendous time-saver, it gives me those yellow-and-white scrambled eggs like my mother used to make, instead of the all-yellow kind like I've been making for myself the last couple of decades. And it means one less thing to wash after the meal is over.

$10685523_10153221442703275_7522412540854107017_n.jpg

A breakfast indulgence from the other morning - the "Aussie Breakfast" with all three side dishes being bacon. There are nine rashers. Rather splendid start to a Thursday.

4 things. Dessert too, specifically Zabaione a/k/a Zabaglione. Divine!

+1,000

A place near me used t have mango puree swirled with zabaglione (egg yolks, sugar, heavy cream, and Marsala wine). Mmmmmmm . . . and it's easy to make. Well, reasonably easy - a yolk separator works nicely.

I've been making our scrambled eggs using the Ramsey method lately, only with whipping cream or half and half (no idea what creme fraiche even is), and with green onions instead of chives. My scrambled eggs have never tasted so good.

Top Bottom