What's new

Regular meals

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
A few years ago, Robert Rodriguez added a video as part of the DVD special features. He would cook something that related to the film he just directed. In one of them, he mentioned that you should learn to make your favorite dishes. Based on a similar idea, what are you regulars during, let's say a typical week or month? Now, I am not referring to something that you order at the restaurant but something that you cook yourself.

I will start.

A regular week for me includes the following breakfasts:

Winter is here so my lunches are mainly soups lately. I throw everything in the Instant Pot (usually rice or barley, a lot of veggies, and a protein that could be left over from the previous night). While it's cooking (around 20 mins), I go for a walk.

Finally, supper lately(winter) would be (in no particular order)
  • Tortillas with either pork, chicken, or fish. I press my tortillas and do a double batch each week so we eat this twice a week.
  • Spaghetti meatballs (or any noodle meatballs). I would put Bolognese here too as sometimes I don't shape the meat as meatballs. It's the same ingredients but my daughter disagrees.
  • Burgers with air fryer chips.
  • Stir-fry using udon noodles or ramen noodles
For sure, in the summer I use the Kamado Joe pretty much 24/7. I very often use the Instant Pot and the Ninja Foodi. My main functions are pressure cook and Air Fryer.

So, what are your regular meals?

We eat a lot of rice . My wife is Chinese but she loves korean food and Japanese cuisine. She has gotten into making bentos 🍱 for lunches. recently bought two books devoted to Japanese bento boxes. She made a nice tofu stew for lunch yesterday.

I usually make dinner. We have two boys 17&12 who always seem to be hungry. Both like fish so we have salmon or cod once a week. The youngest loves cheese burgers and the oldest likes chicken or pork chops. I could get the oldest a Costco rotisserie chicken once a week and he would be happy.

there’s a rain storm coming in today. So I’m thinking of making a chili in the crockpot. I could eat soups and stews a lot. My family gets bored of that unfortunately. One of my favorite things is an Asian beef stew. I use beef shanks since ox tails are so expensive now. I use daikon radish instead of potato and lay a chunk of kombu (dried kelp) on top before closing the pressure cooker. I need to learn how to make Vietnamese beef stew. I’m not sure how they spice it but man does it have a lot of flavor!

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
We've traveled a lot of foodways; it's a thing we do. :)

I make bread, so often bread shows up as part of breakfast or lunch. Many kinds of bread, both sourdough and regular yeast, with a diversity of grains and additions.

Mrs. Hippie makes a granola that we eat with homemade yogurt or skyr and fruit three or four times a week. We also have hot cereals: oats, hominy or Red River Cereal.

We like beef (which we buy from a local rancher), chicken, pork, turkey, mutton and lamb. We like fish but that's off the table for now, ditto many cured meats though bacon doesn't seem to cause problems. A smallish organic chicken roasted in the vortex oven usually gives the two of us about five meals: hindquarters with veggies, breast meat separated and saved for two stir-fries, broth from the carcass for soup (that usually feeds us twice), and some scraps left over for addition to the soup or to make into chicken salad for sandwiches.

Aside from the veggies we grow we also buy a diverse range. I've been growing some very nice butternut squashes the last few years. They cure out and hold until mid-spring. Potatoes also, and shallots and leeks. Carrots. Sweet corn is either frozen or dried depending on what we did the year previous and if any's left. I have some flint corn that I use to make cornmeal and polenta, and dent corn for made-from-scratch tortillas.

Our way of cooking is more about having parts on hand so we can build what we want. We don't like getting stuck in a rut so we are always hauling out some cookbook to try something new or at least not made for a while.

O.H.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I don't think there is enough space here to list it all.

Healthy breakfast about three times a week:

Oatmeal with berries.

Kashi cereal with berries.

Healthy dinner:

Salmon, Red Snapper, Rainbow Trout or other fish or baked chicken along with roasted broccoli or asparagus or roasted brussel sprouts and such along with roasted potatoes.

Regular breakfast:

Bacon, egg and cheese sandwich.

Scrambled eggs with chorizo, sauteed onion and galic, and Mexican cheese in a tortilla.

Sausage, hash browns and fried eggs.

Tomorrow is Tamales and eggs over easy with salsa verde.

Plus various and other breakfast foods.

Regular dinner:

Grilled steak, fried pork chops, smoked brisket, ribs, roast, etc. Tonight was ham smoked over hickory with baked beans and creamed corn.

And various other red meats and vegetables. Meat and potatoes kind of guy.

One thing I really love this time of year is root vegetable mash (shhhh… we call it “slop” at home:oops:).

2:2:1:1 potatoes, carrots, onion, clove of garlic.

Dice potatoes, carrots and onion, boil together for about 20 minutes (not too long so it doesn’t get too mushy). Drain, mash using large wire masher until chunky. Add minced garlic, butter and/or olive oil, and Montreal steak spice to taste. Mix together and set aside for a minute or two for flavors to mix.

It is supposed to be a side dish, but I often eat just a huge plate of the stuff by itself. It makes my stomach happy.

During fall and early winter, when the veggies are at their best, the mash is excellent as is. Later in the winter when their flavor decreases, one can add some ground beef to the mix.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
One thing I really love this time of year is root vegetable mash (shhhh… we call it “slop” at home:oops:).

We have a cavernous Lodge stove Dutch oven. I like to toss in all kinds of roots to that thing: carrot, turnip, potato, onion, kohlrabi, beet, garlic, scorzonera, etc. Drizzle them all well with olive oil and throw in some sprigs of fresh rosemary, salt and pepper. Cover and roast at 400F until they're soft.

Like you, this is something I can eat a bucketfull of and not need something else but maybe a piece of bread to add some extra starch :) or to dab up the juices.

O.H.

2:2:1:1 potatoes, carrots, onion, clove of garlic.

Dice potatoes, carrots and onion, boil together for about 20 minutes (not too long so it doesn’t get too mushy). Drain, mash using large wire masher until chunky. Add minced garlic, butter and/or olive oil, and Montreal steak spice to taste. Mix together and set aside for a minute or two for flavors to mix.

It is supposed to be a side dish, but I often eat just a huge plate of the stuff by itself. It makes my stomach happy.

During fall and early winter, when the veggies are at their best, the mash is excellent as is. Later in the winter when their flavor decreases, one can add some ground beef to the mix.
Sounds like that should be on a plate beside sausage!

I spent most of my childhood with immigrant Grandparents. Irish Grandpa and Hungarian Grandma (long story). To this day I love the never-ending soup/stew/chili with some kind of thick dense bread!

Says home to me.

And pizza
Jay

We have a cavernous Lodge stove Dutch oven. I like to toss in all kinds of roots to that thing: carrot, turnip, potato, onion, kohlrabi, beet, garlic, scorzonera, etc. Drizzle them all well with olive oil and throw in some sprigs of fresh rosemary, salt and pepper. Cover and roast at 400F until they're soft.

Like you, this is something I can eat a bucketfull of and not need something else but maybe a piece of bread to add some extra starch :) or to dab up the juices.

O.H.
Sounds good, minus the turnips though…had to eat them way to much as a kid:001_unsur

I need to get into making bread, tired of the industrial stuff.

Sounds like that should be on a plate beside sausage!

I spent most of my childhood with immigrant Grandparents. Irish Grandpa and Hungarian Grandma (long story). To this day I love the never-ending soup/stew/chili with some kind of thick dense bread!

Says home to me.

And pizza
Jay

Best with cloved ham:drool:

Top Bottom