What's new

Zookeepers of the Muhle R41 BEAST

Thanks for that, you are indeed the Bruce Lee of Wet Shaving!

$bruce lee.jpg

Gytis ... you are absolutely right, and that is why many people that have given up on the R41 are now getting back to it and trying different methods and getting better results.
Muhle says to use the R41 with a shallow angle? Ok ... I don't really care what Muhle says, I shave my face, not Muhle. :thumbup1: Whatever works for you is the best technique, be it shallow angle, steep angle, etc ...

...and do let us know how it works!
Ok guys... I know this is THE BEAST thread, but I will make good on my word. I tried the steep angle approach with the ATT H2 plate with a 2nd day Gillette Silver Blue this morning.

!!!S C O R E!!! Works just as well as with the R41. Actually, maybe a smidgen closer - I had minimum buffing to do after a wtg-xtg-atg passes.

Ok guys... I know this is THE BEAST thread, but I will make good on my word. I tried the steep angle approach with the ATT H2 plate with a 2nd day Gillette Silver Blue this morning.

!!!S C O R E!!! Works just as well as with the R41. Actually, maybe a smidgen closer - I had minimum buffing to do after a wtg-xtg-atg passes.

That is very interesting David.
Seems like it works well with aggressive razors in general, the R41, the FaTip, now the H2 plate ... There's a whole lot of experimentation to do, and I believe everyone can find their sweet spot.

In my opinion, the steep angle's biggest advantage is safety actually, and a little less probability of irritation in my experience too. Other than that, with proper technique both approaches can deliver great results.

This is very interesting information. Like I said before, I've never seen this yet on B&B, so it's very good to hear that it's working well for you!

And Edgar, love that Bruce Lee pic by the way!

I have a theory on why the R41 performs so well. Because the blade is able to flex more, perhaps that allows the blade to conform to the face a little easier than with other razors? That's my theory anyways :)

When using the R41 with a steep angle is there a little more pressure applied compared to using the shallow angle?

I know this is a subjective thing but from what I'm reading in order for the steep angle to work the comb has to make good contact with the skin to stretch it out a little before it gets whacked by the blade.

I'll probably be doing my first shave with my R41 head in the next few days.

When using the R41 with a steep angle is there a little more pressure applied compared to using the shallow angle?

I know this is a subjective thing but from what I'm reading in order for the steep angle to work the comb has to make good contact with the skin to stretch it out a little before it gets whacked by the blade.

I wouldn't, and I don't apply any more pressure. In general, when DE shaving you use shorter strokes than shaving with a cart for example. This is especially important when using the steep angle with the R41, use short rapid strokes. Believe me, the slower you go, the riskier it gets.
In any case, try both angles and see what works the best for you ... shallow angle ALSO works, even though as I said many times before, the steeper seems to be safer.

Actually no pressure at all. First time just let razor slide, just steep angle, wtg first. Take your time. Then just check your skin with fingers - you will see the job is going just fine, regardless of your feelings. No more help/pressure is needed.

Thank you Gytis. Your words made me to order for R41 2013. Being daily shaver (with 37C or Cadet OC), I was bit hesitant to order for this BEAST. Shipping is now done, but being international shipping, it may take its own sweet time, I guess.

I will not risk my first shave with Feathers, but I may go with Gillette Green Permasharp and DR Harris soap (for that better slickness).
It is waiting time for me now.
You're welcome! I hope you will like the R41. Please keep us posted what are your first impressions... Feathers can not harm you without your help, still I would not choose them the first time... But no Derby as well (I know, I am aware many people just love Derby, I love them too)

I have noticed people sometimes still misinterpret the word angle, that is why I have decided to quickly make this, and I'm sorry for the grotesque picturing of the R41 ... :lol:
Anyway, I think we all agree that when we say angle, we should be referring to blade angle, and NOT handle angle.So behold ... my masterpiece! :thumbup: Ok ... maybe not a masterpiece, but hopefully will help someone still in doubt, to understand what we mean by shallow or steep angle.
If nothing else, y'all can have a good laugh!:001_cool:

$Shallow Angle.jpg
$Steep Angle.jpg

Also, sorry that the "blade" in the last pic is not even touching the "skin" ... :lol: But you get the point.

I have noticed people sometimes still misinterpret the word angle, that is why I have decided to quickly make this, and I'm sorry for the grotesque picturing of the R41 ... :lol:
Anyway, I think we all agree that when we say angle, we should be referring to blade angle, and NOT handle angle.So behold ... my masterpiece! :thumbup: Ok ... maybe not a masterpiece, but hopefully will help someone still in doubt, to understand what we mean by shallow or steep angle.
If nothing else, y'all can have a good laugh!:001_cool:

Also, sorry that the "blade" in the last pic is not even touching the "skin" ... :lol: But you get the point.

+1. Lots of confusion on this point in the past. One should always discuss the angle of the blade, not the handle. The head geometry varies too much from DE to DE (or SE) to use the handle as a meaningful reference.

Top Bottom