What's new

Zookeepers of the Muhle R41 BEAST

Interesting R41 Angle Poll in 2012 shows 2:1 in favor of steep angle (as of today): http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/273311-What-blade-angle-to-do-you-use-with-your-2011-R41

[BTW. For those of you who need evidence that an R41 thread can actually exist without my posting in it... that is one. :biggrin1:]

The Poll and thread proves that a number of people experimented with steep angling the R41 early on and a significant majority had success using the steep angle. This is proof also that I get far far too much credit for just being the one dumb enough to take on Codfish, Mantic59, and Muhle. I opposing their conclusions that contributed to the discontinuation of the R41 2011. Mantic59 is a true expert making his R41 video even more damning. One has to first understand the R41 enough to notice that he is varying his angle and trying to drive the R41 like it's a superspeed, including a third pass. Being a nice guy, he was too considerate of his audience to even show the parts of the shave that resulted in most of that bloodshed. But that is not how R41 shaves have to turn out. Argh.

Are we communicating what we as a group need to Muhle? Because as passionate as many of us would be about a return of the R41 2011, in stainless or chromed brass... it seems that the two-piece TWIST is a head scratcher. Does it have anything to do with Codfish and Mantic59 both preferring two-piece razors?

Codfish, an expert and author of a great review of the R41 2013, wrote in his review of the Twist:
Readers familiar with my reviews know that I prefer two-piece razors for their ease-of-use. I find them simpler, safer to load and pretty much foolproof. Mark H (mantic59) puts it this way: "Why must we fiddle with three small bits of metal every time we need to change blades (and who hasn’t accidentally mounted the bottom plate upside down every once in a while)?" For me. I manage to drop at least one part with annoying frequency.

Anybody know a way we can get Mantic59 and Codfish to consider the body of evidence in favor of the efficacy and great results using the R41 2011 steep angled?

Last edited:
To improve your chances please consider a WTG, XTG two pass shave with only some very light touchup. Keep using the sting as an indicator. It should rapidly diminish to zero (yes zero) with each new shave as you get acclimated.

You can always add another pass once you have a more shaves under your belt. I know of people that regularly do three pass shaves with the R41 (especially the 2013) and are fine. Starting out, though, it may be overdoing it. Some early users bailed too soon on the R41 because they did three passes out of habit and skin shave fatigue accumulated too rapidly. Missing out on the Beast for something as simple as one pass too many starting out is sad. Hope this helps you.

Yes, yes and yes!

I recently started out with Str8s, and let me tell you, the R41 in all its versions is what I'm aiming to emulate. It's going to take a while :a36:

All I have to say is that hopefully someday, other manufacturer will come up with a 2011 clone. A manufacturer that actually cares and listens to their clients.

OR ...
I'll just buy an ATT H2 and ban Zamak from my life, as Muhle banned the 2011.:thumbup:

Curious to know what blades do you guys prefer in the R41. Currently I have 2 favorite blades, the Gillette Platinum and the Super Iridium ( or PolSilver, as in my opinion they feel the exact same, others will probably say differently, kinda like Med Preps and Lab Blues, opinions differ, YMMV as always!)
So for me is Gillette Platinum and SI ... how about you guys? Maybe we can see some cool pics, unlike mine ... :lol: Sorry, just a cell phone pic! :biggrin1:

$CAM00926.jpg

I have heard some of the BEASTies say they don't care for Astra SP but it's my go to blade for both models of the R41.

I put a Wilkie in it, and let's just say I won't make that mistake again ;)

Edgar, is the ATT H2 similar to the R41???

I'm not Edgar :lol:, but the H2 is said to be like a "more polite" version of the 2013 R41. It is supposed to be slightly less aggressive but much smoother and more gentle to the face. That being said, it is still considered very aggressive, relative to most razors out there.

I'm not Edgar :lol:, but the H2 is said to be like a "more polite" version of the 2013 R41. It is supposed to be slightly less aggressive but much smoother and more gentle to the face. That being said, it is still considered very aggressive, relative to most razors out there.
Face palm, not sure why I associated Bill with Edgar.

Does the steep angle work with the H2?

Ok if I can repeat this mornings have on a daily basis I honestly wouldn't need another razor. I couldn't believe how BBSmooth my face was on my way to work. I kept checking my face every so often this morning in disbelief, just trying to find a spot I had missed. So I did a shower then thin layer of Noxzema and Proroso on top then repeated the same prep and went ATG/XTG with some blade buffing going on I think and then cleaned up a couple of spots. Wow is all I can say. I I was considering a Slant and might end up getting one eventually but not for awhile. My upper lip is still a little sensitive when I go ATG but everywhere else works fine. Now the need for my evening shave is not really necessary. I shaved at 5:30 am and now at 9pm I'm not bothered at all by the small stubble I have. All hale the BEAST!

I am confused, when you talk about a steep angle, do you mean where the blade is almost parallel to the face? Or closer to 90 degrees?

Interesting R41 Angle Poll in 2012 shows 2:1 in favor of steep angle (as of today): http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/273311-What-blade-angle-to-do-you-use-with-your-2011-R41

[BTW. For those of you who need evidence that an R41 thread can actually exist without my posting in it... that is one. :biggrin1:]

The Poll and thread proves that a number of people experimented with steep angling the R41 early on and a significant majority had success using the steep angle. This is proof also that I get far far too much credit for just being the one dumb enough to take on Codfish, Mantic59, and Muhle. I opposing their conclusions that contributed to the discontinuation of the R41 2011. Mantic59 is a true expert making his R41 video even more damning. One has to first understand the R41 enough to notice that he is varying his angle and trying to drive the R41 like it's a superspeed, including a third pass. Being a nice guy, he was too considerate of his audience to even show the parts of the shave that resulted in most of that bloodshed. But that is not how R41 shaves have to turn out. Argh.

Are we communicating what we as a group need to Muhle? Because as passionate as many of us would be about a return of the R41 2011, in stainless or chromed brass... it seems that the two-piece TWIST is a head scratcher. Does it have anything to do with Codfish and Mantic59 both preferring two-piece razors?

Codfish, an expert and author of a great review of the R41 2013, wrote in his review of the Twist:

Anybody know a way we can get Mantic59 and Codfish to consider the body of evidence in favor of the efficacy and great results using the R41 2011 steep angled?
First of all thank you for your sharing. I have got some most valuable advices/insights in your posts. Thanks, aimsport.
About the R41 2011. It is a shame when people WANT to try (like me), or WANT to use (those guys at STB) and such esteemed company like Muhle (I could make a monument for them only because of my synth brush and R41 2013 alone) can not satisfy the clear demand. I can not understand what is the reason? Maybe somebody could order lets say 200-500 razors and trade them? Is that so difficult to produce?
About the angle. I believe everybody is free to try and use whatever works for them. And there also should be no one single opinion, regardless who is advocating it. There should be R41 2011, three peace razors, two pieces, whatever people want.
To summarize - I would love to try R41 2011 steep angle as far as some of other your suggestions worked just fine for me.

All I have to say is that hopefully someday, other manufacturer will come up with a 2011 clone. A manufacturer that actually cares and listens to their clients.

OR ...
I'll just buy an ATT H2 and ban Zamak from my life, as Muhle banned the 2011.:thumbup:
That is crazy to consider other manufacturers, when we do have Muhle. We also have Gillette and no all these nice razors people buy in antique stores... That is just crazy.

Does the steep angle work with the H2?

Funny this should come up... Just this morning I realized I have been shaving steep angle with the ATT R2/H2 on my upper lip without problem since shave 1. Maybe I can steel my will tomorrow morning and try an R2 steep angle on my cheeks.

I am confused, when you talk about a steep angle, do you mean where the blade is almost parallel to the face? Or closer to 90 degrees?

Yes, the steep angle is closer to 90°. Also use short rapid strokes, it helps too.

That is crazy to consider other manufacturers, when we do have Muhle. We also have Gillette and no all these nice razors people buy in antique stores... That is just crazy.

Don't get me started on Muhle ... :lol:

Last edited:
Funny this should come up... Just this morning I realized I have been shaving steep angle with the ATT R2/H2 on my upper lip without problem since shave 1. Maybe I can steel my will tomorrow morning and try an R2 steep angle on my cheeks.
...and do let us know how it works!

Top Bottom