What's new

Zookeepers of the Muhle R41 BEAST

Congrats on your new R41! It looks great with the bulldog handle. I'd highly encourage you, though, not to shave twice with it in 1 day. :ohmy:
Have fun figuring out how it works best for you! Try the steep angle and see if you like it.

So I tried a Feather this morning. It seemed to feel better at a shallow angle. Still got DFS but still looking for that sweet spot. The increase in blade exposure is taking some getting used to.

Wow, been away from the thread for a few, many new R41s around! Congrats one and all! We're having a population explosion at The Zoo!

I wouldn't have considered buying one until I read this thread!

Same here. I was so intrigued by reading how so many people had great success with the steeper angle that I just had to try one out.

My R41 head arrived today but thanks to a newbie's wave of RAD I also received a NEW short comb head today so I probably wont be breaking out the R41 for a few days.

For the steeper angle how steep are we talking??
Is the handle truly almost parallel with your face?

From what I read it seems the R41 is a lot like espresso. If you get it down right it's nectar from the gods......if you do it wrong it's battery acid.

Thanks

Wow, been away from the thread for a few, many new R41s around! Congrats one and all! We're having a population explosion at The Zoo!

I also think it's pretty cool how more and more people are discovering the pleasures of shaving with such a fine shaving tool! :thumbup1:

Same here. I was so intrigued by reading how so many people had great success with the steeper angle that I just had to try one out.

My R41 head arrived today but thanks to a newbie's wave of RAD I also received a NEW short comb head today so I probably wont be breaking out the R41 for a few days.

From what I read it seems the R41 is a lot like espresso. If you get it down right it's nectar from the gods......if you do it wrong it's battery acid.

Thanks

Yes, using a steeper angle the handle will be almost parallel to your face. This way the comb's teeth will help by stretching your skin, another great advantage of the steep angle.
You should try the shallow angle too of course, but generally speaking seems like most people are finding the steeper angle, safer, faster and most of all, irritation free!

Congrats on the Beast and on the NEW, another great razor!

Yes. It should be shockingly steep. What works best for me is an angle that is as steep as you can get while still having the razor cut. If you go too steep, the comb will actually prevent the blade from touching your face and it won't cut. So go to that point, and then just back off a tiny amount on the steepness, and that should be a good angle (at least, it is for me).
Let us know how it goes!

By the way, I should add that this type of angle would likely cause irritation with any other razor, at least in my experience. For info on why this is not the case with the R41, I will have to refer you to Aimsport :lol: :thumbup:

I also think it's pretty cool how more and more people are discovering the pleasures of shaving with such a fine shaving tool! :thumbup1:

Yes, using a steeper angle the handle will be almost parallel to your face. This way the comb's teeth will help by stretching your skin, another great advantage of the steep angle.
You should try the shallow angle too of course, but generally speaking seems like most people are finding the steeper angle, safer, faster and most of all, irritation free!

Congrats on the Beast and on the NEW, another great razor!

Yes. It should be shockingly steep. What works best for me is an angle that is as steep as you can get while still having the razor cut. If you go too steep, the comb will actually prevent the blade from touching your face and it won't cut. So go to that point, and then just back off a tiny amount on the steepness, and that should be a good angle (at least, it is for me).
Let us know how it goes!

By the way, I should add that this type of angle would likely cause irritation with any other razor, at least in my experience. For info on why this is not the case with the R41, I will have to refer you to Aimsport :lol: :thumbup:

I've found out first hand what a steep angle will do with some other razors :blushing:

Yeah...Aimsport posts on the R41 pretty much peeked my curiosity to the point of no return.

I'll start with the comb on my skin and lift till it cuts and report back here with my results.

Thanks
I'm blessed with daily old school cafetera-made Café Cubano in the office every day after lunch. A double shot of that will keep you awake 'til middle of next week. True nectar of the gods!

Okay, I respectfully request to be a zookeeper in B.E.A.S.T. I lathered up with Palmolive Lather, had a Med Prep in my new to me 2011 R41, set on a Weber bulldog handle. I felt kind of inexperienced trying to find the steep angle I have read about. Shaving at such a steep angle felt like using a straight. Lots of blade exposure. I had one tiny nick under my nose (my fault), but that's it for blood.
The after shave burn with The Veg was intense, but it went away after a minute.
I only did a three pass shave, WTG, ATG, and sideways on my neck, ears to throat.
Close shave, I might say! Looking forward to learning with this razor. Someday I would like to try the 2013 head.

Okay, I respectfully request to be a zookeeper in B.E.A.S.T. I lathered up with Palmolive Lather, had a Med Prep in my new to me 2011 R41, set on a Weber bulldog handle. I felt kind of inexperienced trying to find the steep angle I have read about. Shaving at such a steep angle felt like using a straight. Lots of blade exposure. I had one tiny nick under my nose (my fault), but that's it for blood.
I only did a three pass shave, WTG, ATG, and sideways on my neck, ears to throat.
Close shave, I might say! Looking forward to learning with this razor. Someday I would like to try the 2013 head.

Congrats and welcome aboard fellow zookeeper! Wishing you many happy shaves with the BEAST! :thumbup1:

I read the forum and I see many people are afraid of R41, mainly because of myths that I find wrong:

1. R41 is not every day performer - not true, I use it every single day, close shaves, no problems.
2. R41 is not good for sensitive skin - I don't think there exist not-sensitive skin, there is a poor techniques. Human skin is always sensitive against the steel blade, no exceptions...
3. R41 needs only sharp blades - I am trying and use whatever blades I can find. I believe poor blade is a poor blade on any razor. And every trash bin is a good trash bin for a poor blade. There are blades I can not finish my first pass with, but they can not make me bloody mess anyway...
4. R41 is not for newbies - newbies can be very different. I bought my R41 2013 after 2 weeks of shaving with de89. No major injuries, far from that. And nice results. Never looked back.
5. R41 is only good for hard and dense beard - I don't have such a beard...

I am sure the technique is the most important variable in wet shaving. Lather and blade goes after. And just now goes razor... If you realize you have a sharp, very sharp blade on your skin and you are cautious, there is nothing to be afraid of any razor, R41, straight or shavette...

BEAST users - do you feel the same? Should people be afraid of the beast?

Thank you Gytis. Your words made me to order for R41 2013. Being daily shaver (with 37C or Cadet OC), I was bit hesitant to order for this BEAST. Shipping is now done, but being international shipping, it may take its own sweet time, I guess.

I will not risk my first shave with Feathers, but I may go with Gillette Green Permasharp and DR Harris soap (for that better slickness).
It is waiting time for me now.

Haegar,
You need to explain me how did you do this. I am not sure if I want to try it with my Rosegold handle, but I am definitely interested in knowing what's the process.
Sorry for responding a bit late.
I described the process of "leading a razor handle" here. Hope it helps. :001_smile

Great first start with the 2011. That closeness is amazing, isn't it? Gauging your skin feel and sting like you did is a great habit to be in for learning R41. To improve your chances please consider a WTG, XTG two pass shave with only some very light touchup. Keep using the sting as an indicator. It should rapidly diminish to zero (yes zero) with each new shave as you get acclimated.

You can always add another pass once you have a more shaves under your belt. I know of people that regularly do three pass shaves with the R41 (especially the 2013) and are fine. Starting out, though, it may be overdoing it. Some early users bailed too soon on the R41 because they did three passes out of habit and skin shave fatigue accumulated too rapidly. Missing out on the Beast for something as simple as one pass too many starting out is sad. Hope this helps you.

Top Bottom