What's new

Zookeepers of the Muhle R41 BEAST

Haha as usual, YMMV… I actually love feathers in my R41… both years. They seem to work best for me.
And congrats on your first R41 shave!

Yes ... I agree with you guys, even though I honestly think it is not all that bad ... Anyway, sure is a beautiful handle! :thumbup1:
I actually like the lighter handle on my Rose Gold R41. I think it makes the head feel heavier and thus I use barely any pressure and the weight of the head does all the work. At least that is my reason for not getting any nicks or weepers... If it feels like your hands are slippery just a quick rinse of your palm and wipe on a towel, and you are grippy again!
Enjoy it and have fun!

I read the forum and I see many people are afraid of R41, mainly because of myths that I find wrong:

1. R41 is not every day performer - not true, I use it every single day, close shaves, no problems.
2. R41 is not good for sensitive skin - I don't think there exist not-sensitive skin, there is a poor techniques. Human skin is always sensitive against the steel blade, no exceptions...
3. R41 needs only sharp blades - I am trying and use whatever blades I can find. I believe poor blade is a poor blade on any razor. And every trash bin is a good trash bin for a poor blade. There are blades I can not finish my first pass with, but they can not make me bloody mess anyway...
4. R41 is not for newbies - newbies can be very different. I bought my R41 2013 after 2 weeks of shaving with de89. No major injuries, far from that. And nice results. Never looked back.
5. R41 is only good for hard and dense beard - I don't have such a beard...

I am sure the technique is the most important variable in wet shaving. Lather and blade goes after. And just now goes razor... If you realize you have a sharp, very sharp blade on your skin and you are cautious, there is nothing to be afraid of any razor, R41, straight or shavette...

BEAST users - do you feel the same? Should people be afraid of the beast?

I have heard of this famous beast! I may have to go face to metal soon...... I look forward to the clash!

Get one, you won't regret it! :thumbup1:

I read the forum and I see many people are afraid of R41, mainly because of myths that I find wrong:

1. R41 is not every day performer - not true, I use it every single day, close shaves, no problems.
2. R41 is not good for sensitive skin - I don't think there exist not-sensitive skin, there is a poor techniques. Human skin is always sensitive against the steel blade, no exceptions...
3. R41 needs only sharp blades - I am trying and use whatever blades I can find. I believe poor blade is a poor blade on any razor. And every trash bin is a good trash bin for a poor blade. There are blades I can not finish my first pass with, but they can not make me bloody mess anyway...
4. R41 is not for newbies - newbies can be very different. I bought my R41 2013 after 2 weeks of shaving with de89. No major injuries, far from that. And nice results. Never looked back.

I am sure the technique is the most important variable in wet shaving. Lather and blade goes after. And just now goes razor... If you realize you have a sharp, very sharp blade on your skin and you are cautious, there is nothing to be afraid of any razor, R41, straight or shavette...

I agree with you. If the technique is solid there is nothing to be afraid of. It is still the razor I need to pay more attention to while shaving, but really nothing to worry about.

You are right. The items on the list below are Myths.

What are true, and not a Myth are:

1. Razors vary.
2. The R41 delivers BBSs daily.
3. The R41 shave delivers BBSs with calm skin daily too.
4. Steep angle rocks.

I'm in too! Daily user here. How about the name "The knights of the R41nd table!" (pronounced RAIND) hehehe

If you want I can tell you who was the Mod that changed the thread's title ... you can go and ask for something better. At your own risk obviously! :lol::thumbup:

Welcome to the Zoo btw!

Here we go R41 with Razorock handle make a great team.

proxy.php

I had to work hard to find stubble 24 hours after yesterday's shave with the 2011 BEAST and a Personna Lab (1). Thought about only a 2 pass shave this morning for fear of irritation, but thought better of that.

SOTD:
Hot shower, sunflower oil as preshave
VDH Deluxe face lathered
Omega 10066
Muhle R41 2011
Personna Lab (2)
cold water rinse
The Veg

Very little veg burn on a smooth, calm, BBS face. Man, what a razor!

So far, Gillette Silver Blues, 7:00 Yellows, BIC stainless, and the Personna Labs all work well, Shark Super Chrome not so much. Up next...Sharp Dura Blade stainless in the green wrapper.

Here we go R41 with Razorock handle make a great team.

proxy.php

That looks pretty cool Billy! How was the shave?

I had to work hard to find stubble 24 hours after yesterday's shave with the 2011 BEAST and a Personna Lab (1). Thought about only a 2 pass shave this morning for fear of irritation, but thought better of that.

SOTD:
Hot shower, sunflower oil as preshave
VDH Deluxe face lathered
Omega 10066
Muhle R41 2011
Personna Lab (2)
cold water rinse
The Veg

Very little veg burn on a smooth, calm, BBS face. Man, what a razor!

So far, Gillette Silver Blues, 7:00 Yellows, BIC stainless, and the Personna Labs all work well, Shark Super Chrome not so much. Up next...Sharp Dura Blade stainless in the green wrapper.

Seems like you're doing pretty good with the 2011! Keep it up!

That looks pretty cool Billy! How was the shave?

Hi Edgar, it was spot on sorted out two days growth using a Silver Blue without any issue at all. A very efficient Razor that let's you know it's not to be messed with but is rewarding. I'm looking forward to having it around. :clap:

Hi Edgar, it was spot on sorted out two days growth using a Silver Blue without any issue at all. A very efficient Razor that let's you know it's not to be messed with but is rewarding. I'm looking forward to having it around. :clap:

That's really great, I'm glad you like it! :thumbup:

Good stuff!

I'm still trying to tame the beast. I tried a Silver Blue today. Still got some irritation.

Are you using the steep angle approach? I find it the best technique with the R41. Safer, faster and irritation free.
Might be worth a shot, if you haven't tried it yet. Also, I think you already know this, but it is always good to remember : most people can't get more than 2-3 shaves out of a blade in the R41. I don't know what's your average with other razors, but don't try to push it too much.

Anyway, it sounds like you're doing well, and some irritation once in a while is normal. Shaves aren't always perfect!

Top Bottom