What's new

Alum - Item of the Week 4/29/13

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Hello to all.

This will be the tenth in a series of "item of the week" threads that I am promoting in the general shave discussion forum.

The rules:

1. It is very simple. Use the item of the week for the week that it is scheduled and post your thoughts on that item in its thread.
  2. Everything else in your shave line-up may be rotated at will, but keep the featured item of the week as part of each shave.
  3. The weeks will start on Monday and end on Saturday. Sunday could be a free day, or an overlap day for the next week or whatever.

The tenth featured item of the week will be alum of your choice. Starting Monday, 4/29/13.

Ok then. Using Razorock alum all this week instead of the usual wutch hazel.
it may not be the most exciting IOTW but it will force me to do something I don't usually do. should be interesting.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Ok then. Using Razorock alum all this week instead of the usual wutch hazel.
it may not be the most exciting IOTW but it will force me to do something I don't usually do. should be interesting.

I was thinking the same thing, but there were a few that really wanted it, so here it is.

I'll give it a go, maybe starting the week with alum instead of witch hazel. May be a good time to break out the aggressive razors for some feedback.

I've dug out....... "The ROCK"....

I'm ready

proxy.php

This is going to be the ultimate YMMV week.

I do love my witch hazel, but let's give this a shot. I'm not about to end my IOTW streak because of a little alum! As a DE greenhorn I still need LOTS of practice, so this will be a good time to focus on technique.

I will definitely be changing out my blade for this week though...the Red Personna on shave 5 today was pretty rough.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I will be using all this week an unusual aftershave alum. It is a roll on called 'Naturally Fresh' Not only does it have the 'good' Potash alum, it also has soothing ingredients like Lavender and Chamomile. Even after a rough shave, it never burns but it still closes up nicks and gives that firm feeling when using an alum block. Wal Mart carries it for just a few bucks.
$Naturally-Fresh-Roll-On-Deodorant-Crystal-Lavender-732168321481.jpg

Ok I'm in. I have the required alum and will be using it daily. Starting yesterday! :laugh: I'm taking a liking to it.

Attachments

• $IMG_20130427_175006_457.jpg
    $IMG_20130427_175006_457.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 317
OK, my first item of the week participation. I will be using Razorock alum. I actually used it the past two days.

Excellent.

I use alum after every shave so it should be easy for me :thumbup1:. I also follow that with witch hazel, so for you gents that go that route just add the alum in before. No need to substitute

I'm in this week too. I use alum after every shave, so it's easy to stick with what I always do!

I'm currently using a Crystal deodorant alum stick. It's ammonium alum instead of potassium alum so supposedly it is more harsh, but I can't tell the difference between it and the RazoRock potassium alum I was using previously.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I have to dig around in the basement and see if I have one. I'm ready for Williams week though. Maybe someone should alert Michigan Lover, as I'm sure he'll want to participate with his vintage Williams.

Took last week off, since I don't have Cella, but happy to be back with alum. I will be using a block I bought for $1.00 at a local Indian grocery store. I have only tried it once or twice, so this will be a good extended test...

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I couldn't find my alum, I think it's at my cottage. So looks like I will be watching this one from the sidelines.

For those that don't have alum handy it can usually be found in the natural body care section at a local store. Here in the Portland, OR metro area there is a natural section in every store, I'm not sure if that is common nationwide though.

Day 1 (started early) - I replaced the witch hazel in my normal shave routine with alum (Thai crystal deodorant block). It is pretty similar at tightening the skin after the shave, but it leaves my skin a bit dryer. It also lets me know exactly where I was too aggressive with pressure and/or blade angle. I had one weeper today right next to my mouth, which is not uncommon on a less-than-perfect shave. I had to use a styptic pencil to stop the blood as the alum by itself didn't cut it. Overall the shave went very well giving me a nice close shave with only a little irritation and the skin feels smooth and tight afterwards. I may find that a balm works better in conjunction with alum than a splash, but I will try both this week.

Shave 1

Vintage Plisson
RazoRock Don Marco
Sam Seong Professional Razor
Dorco blade (2)
Alum
Dominica Lime Bay Rum

Sorry, no pic as my bathroom counter was a mess.

Decided to fold the last shave of Cella week into the first shave of Alum week. Mostly no tingles at all except on the right side of my neck - and I knew it was coming after a small mishap with blade angle during the ATG pass.
View attachment 329861

Top Bottom