What's new

Alum - Item of the Week 4/29/13

Dollar Tree has two of these for $1. Perfect for keeping soap, or alum, dry:

$plastic-soap-dish-300.jpg

Dollar Tree has two of these for $1. Perfect for keeping soap, or alum, dry:

Cool, I don't know how I missed those last time through...

If they made them a little deeper, they could replace all my wife's sill ceramic "bowl"s that she uses everywhere. She always put the soap back in the holder dripping wet and after a couple days, there's a nice layer of sludgieness underneath...

I use alum everday as a little treat after each shave, I like the feeling and if and only if I have managed to make pink lather it does a very good job of keeping it all under wraps so i don't bleed on the towels!
I alum stick is shaped like a shave soap stick so I have no drying problems :]

$WP_000619.jpgSorry I'm late to the Item of the Week thread. I ordered an alum block to try this, but it took a week to show up. I went with the Art of Shaving alum block. I have read that people say it is overpriced at $20, but I didn't really care. It came in a nice box for storing it and I use all AOS products for my shave, so it makes a complete set. I used the alum block twice so far. It does tighten up the skin around small nicks and give a slight tingling sensation, but not a serious burn like strong alchohol based products. Leaves the skin feeling slightly tacky and I have less of an oily or shiny look to my skin after applying lotion. I don't notice any difference in reducing redness, I still get some redness on my neck. But I think it might calm irritation as I have no razor burn feel the rest of the day. I'm hoping long term use will aid in keeping away pimples or whiteheads by disinfecting the skin? I dunno, I plan to use it for a while and see if it has any long term benefit.

The AoS alum is technically overpriced but if you wanted the fancy shmancy box, who the heck cares? It's certainly nicer than the shavex box where the little hinge tabs will break off any day now - rendering the case near-useless. And the sticker? ohh-laa-laa... :wink2:

Alum is alum so the shavex = razorock = the impossible to read aloud turkish bar on amazon(no case) = indian, thai or chinese alum (no cases either). it's all the same, like tylenol or generic acetominaphen.

But... look at it this way. You spent $20 for something you could have gotten for $10. It will last you, say, 3 years. So, you "overpaid" $3 per year to have the AoS alum. I would enjoy it.

And keep it dry.

Top Bottom