What's new

May 2024 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in

IMG_0698.jpeg

Still in, I think,

A few posts mention purchasing items outside of wet shaving affecting the GRUME status. My understanding is the GRUME pertains only to wet-shaving purchases, not watches or other items totally unrelated to wet-shaving. I request clarification from our all-knowing leader @FoolishMortal.

IMG_3159.jpeg

May 2024 GRUME 19/31
1950s Rocket HD 500• Perma-Sharp(1)• Heritage/Vloid• Zenith 507-IF•
Details.

I admire the tenacity shown by the members in this thread. However, I may never join these ranks. There are months when I haven't purchased anything, but if I were to hold myself to it(i.e., think about it), I would then go out and buy something. For example, I didn't make 1 wet-shaving purchase last month but made up for it by buying 2 brushes this month!:facep::facep::facep:

marty

Still in, I think,

A few posts mention purchasing items outside of wet shaving affecting the GRUME status. My understanding is the GRUME pertains only to wet-shaving purchases, not watches or other items totally unrelated to wet-shaving. I request clarification from our all-knowing leader @FoolishMortal.

IMG_3159.jpeg

May 2024 GRUME 19/31
1950s Rocket HD 500• Perma-Sharp(1)• Heritage/Vloid• Zenith 507-IF•
Details.
Some of our members are quite zealous, but you have it right: GRUME is specific to shaving purchases.

💎 💎 💎 SOTD - “Unknown Gems" Theme Week - May 20th-26th, 2024
💎 💎 💎

May 2024 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Hello friends

Sunny start to the week here. In keeping with this week's SOTD theme, I chose local products that I haven't used in a long time. Palmindaya cream is the most used in Brazilian barbershops. It's cheap, foams easily and abundantly, but it contains parabens in its formula. That's why I avoid it. It’s matching aftershave is alcoholic but has an aroma that a friend of mine defines as that of an old man's sock...

The Gillette Platinum blade now sold in Brazil, is made in China and even though it is not very sharp, it is surprisingly smooth.

The other items in my shave today are well known, Greencult 2.0 plate II and Semogue SOC Mistura.

With us, Duke Ellington and John Coltrane.

Rating: 9

Have a nice week and great shaves!
❤️🪒

B532715A-14A5-4099-9803-0B4A2188B310.jpeg
IMG_7044.jpeg

In!

20240520_131114.jpeg

I enjoyed a mild shave this morning with my Father's Day gift. Three passes, DFS+. Not the closest shave, since the RPL in it's fourth outing already had lost it's initial keenness. However, the skin stayed calm and relaxed (even if I had exercised a fourth pass 😅).

Cheers, Comrades!

Last edited:
Day 20, 64.5% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat (Tallow)
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: GC.84 OC, Al Handle, Astra SP #6
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

I used the open comb again, and got a fine enough result. There's a bit of irritation creeping into the shave now... ATG probably. I'll use it again tomorrow, and concentrate on using minimum pressure.

Get well soon, @FoolishMortal.

Top Bottom