What's new

🪒 🪒 🪒 SOTD - “New Gear" Theme Week - May 13-19, 2024 🪒 🪒🪒

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there B&Bers!

This week’s Shave of the Day Theme is “New Gear”. This is an opportunity to show recently acquired shaving items.

This weekly theme is simple… we just want to see your new shaving stuff! Buy a new brush lately? Loving a newly acquired soap or razor blade? Bought a fancy new aftershave or cologne? Find a vintage razor at an antique shop? Show us and tell us all about it.

We want to see pics that include your recent shaving gear acquisitions. Are you excited about something you recently added to the collection? We definitely want to know more!

Nothing fairly new in your den? Please still post a pic of your usual shaving setups. Or post pics of your usual SOTD or just tell us all about it. Let’s see lots of themed posts this week!

As always, the weekly themes are just a suggestion, but being creative and having fun IS mandatory. We encourage you to post or shoot photos of your Shave Gear of the Day regardless of the theme as sticking with the theme is NOT mandatory but encouraged.

Let’s see your new gear!

Menthol Monday SOTD
ALP2 (2).jpg

Razor: Gillette Red Tip
Blade: Personna Reds (D1)
Brush: Semogue 2021 Spanish Shavers Boar Limited Edition
Bowl: The Distinctive Goat Style 4 5½” Cypress Sinker Log
Pre-Shave Scrub: PAA Ice Cube 2
Pre-Shave Balm: Proraso White
Shave Soap: Prairie Creations DdC Alpine Snowdrift
Balm: Proraso White
Aftershave: Speick

IMG_6711.jpeg

Monday, May 13, 2024

Pre-Shave: cold water splash / YBN Glycerin
Razor: DSC V92 brass razor, scalloped cap
Blade: Suneko Amorphous Diamond
Brush: Arno 25mm Classic #12, Gen5 synthetic
Bowl: DSC scuttle
Soap: Smoking Monster - Red Dragon (tallow)
A/S: Two Girls - Florida Water (decant / diluted)
Aftercare: Aloe Vera Gelly
EdP: Armani Privé - Thé Yulong

This Monday shave setup has a number of new gear and additions to my modest collection. The DSCosmetic V92 brass razor had its fifth shave since arriving on the scene last week. It is by all intents and purposes an exceptional razor giving me a DFS today with a 2 pass WTG-only shave. The brass stand is also a new addition and it wasn't easy to find; DSC does not have a brass stand, nor did I find one at Yaqi. Luckily I was able to grab this beauty at Yintal.

The Suneko blades are already a bit longer in my den and I did three prior shaves with them. I revisit them for my next few shaves and I start to enjoy them. They are VERY sharp, but not as smooth as some of the Gillette blades I have tried before. Nevertheless, they are exceptionally good blades, no tugging or skipping and no real roughness, just a bit less smooth than others. But, boy, are these blades sharp.

The artisan soap maker "Smoking Monster" had two tallow based soaps on discount last week and I just had to try them out at that price (I paid around USD 5 for a 3.5 oz tub). They arrived yesterday and the "Red Dragon" soap was the first to try for today's soap. The is actually my first tallow based soap, all others in my den are vegetable based. I start to understand why tallow is so popular here. The lather was gorgeous and very cushioning. This soap contains Glycerin and Vitamin E as well, so I didn't have a post-shave soap-dry skin feeling. The scent is very muted, slightly citrusy and a dominant tea note. Overall an exceptional good soap and one of the few made with actual tallow today. If you can find one, be sure to give them a try (Smoking Monster - Montami Base; available in a number of scents).

The final newcomer on the scene is Two Girls - Florida Water. Actually not really an aftershave but more of a very vintage tincture. Two Girls was founded in 1898. It has a number of applications such as cooling down in the summer heat, calming down insect bites, air freshener, etc.
I recently have been told by an elder Hong Kong gentleman, that Florida Water was the go-to Cologne for men in Hong Kong in the 50's and 60's. It is the Eastern version of the original Florida Water by Murray & Lanman.
It has a very high alcohol content and is quite strong on the clove and cinnamon notes, but later lavender and citrus notes come through. Reminds me of Old Spice on steroids.
I decanted and added unscented witch hazel to create a less aggressive and stinging after shave. The witch hazel clouded the FW but I decanted in a brown glass bottle with atomizer and don't mind it at all. It is actually quite pleasing as the scent is much more muted this way and the addition of witch hazel is an added bonus.

This shave was completed with Armani's Thé Yulong, a matching scent to the new Smoking- Monster Red Dragon soap as both have strong notes of tea.

What a great start into the week!

In my bathroom today:

Razor - Pearl

Blade - Ladas

Brush - Omega

Shaving soap - Black Wind

Aftershave lotion - Black Wind

I recently received a wonderful gift from a participant of the Russian shaving forum. The gift included soap and aftershave from the Russian manufacturer KatrineDo. The soap is made on the basis of animal fat and has a delicious aroma, as well as gives an abundant foam. I am very happy with this soap!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
IMG_1698.jpeg

1) Italy: Brush Omega 10777 Boar.
2) Italy: Shaving Soap Proraso White Tub.
3) England: Razor 1960’s Gillette Plastic Handle Tech.
4) Russia: Razor Blade Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow.
5) France: Alum Block Osma.
6) Germany: Aftershave Balm Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm.
7) Spain: EDT Nautica Classic.

A SOD.jpg

Pre-Shave
Face wash with Cera Ve Face Soap
Soap/Cream
Haslinger Sandelholz Rasierseife Beruhigend (tallow formula)
Brush
Omega Boar (81052)
Bowl
Captains Choice Copper
Razor
Henson AL 13***
Blade
Wizamet
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Proraso ASB
Fragrance
Yves Saint Laurent
Rating
10/10
Comments
This was the 4th consecutive day I used the Henson AL 13*** razor – the more aggressive Henson - and a Wizamet blade. This was another close and smooth. The blade has lost some of its sharpness and I will go with a new combo on Tuesday. When I use this razor I never have to do any touch-ups. Today’s brush is my first boar brush – an Omega 81052. The brush made excellent lather with the Haslinger soap. This was the 15th day I used the soap. The shave was perfect. Have a wonderful day, folks.

Last edited:
Monday Morning MicroMatic & MDC Melee

Wanted to try out some Vintage Personna Injector blades that came my way recently.
Popped one into my trusty Bullet Tip and WOW, are they a sweet shave.
MDC Sample only required a bit of loading and produced a nice rich three pass lather plus
a face wash.

GEM MicroMatic Bullet Tip
Personna Injector Blade (1X)
Martin de Candre Vetyver Sample
Frank Shaving G7 Brush
Citrus Musk Splash On
BRUT Aftershave

AEDD30CA-7D85-490F-B3F4-7EEAD4F8C027-compressed.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
ASRazor shave, Micromatic Monday, May13th 2024.

Razor : Star bar #4 lather catcher, Mfg 1919-20, tame mid range. This little razor with a fresh blade can not be beaten in my collection of many razors most days when used. It just works well for my beard type and was designed by a Star brand who invented in mass the safety razor in the 1880's way ahead of any other brand in the world in new shaving technology that even existed.
For a razor that was stamped and shaped to my perfection it just works well. Had a comfortable close stellar close shave this morning.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(1).Very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to use.
Soap : Razorock Irish Countryside, very nice unique scent(Creed Irish green) + excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Lucky dice" 26mm brown whiskers synthetic knot. Excellent lather generator, luxury heavenly cloud like soft tips, nice splay scrubber + excellent lather painter. One of my favorites in my brush collection (26mm synthetic brushes are excellent!).
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock Countryside splash with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 10.2 stellar.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable stellar shave this morning with my Star bar #4 with a fresh coated Gem blade.
SOTD May 13 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom