What's new

Alum - Item of the Week 4/29/13

Don't forget using the alum to improve grip. Should further help make the experiment worthwhile.

Good point Ray and I did indeed use the alum a few times to help stretch the skin on my face. Shaving with an exposed blade requires a good grip on the razor and proper stretching to get a really close shave and alum works perfectly for both.

I use alum every shave. I also use witch hazel every shave. I do not really vary my post routine:

1. Cold water rinse
2. Alum (let sit on face while I clean up everything except the brush/scuttle)
3. Cold water rinse with remnants of lather, if any
4. Witch hazel

I use Crystal deodorant stick, which is alum in a deodorant stick form found in most health stores. For Whitch hazel I use Thayers alcohol free witch hazel with aloe. Works great and keeps my skin in great health. I do not like alcoholic splashes and fragrances. So this works out great.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I found it, I found it! I found an old block of alum, so I'll be able to participate next week.

I wasn't even looking for it. I had already written off next week and was looking for a puck of Williams in a large Ziploc bag of old soaps when I happened across the alum laying at the bottom. I also found the Williams, so I am set for at least 2 weeks.

I wasn't too worried about the Williams though, because I have 2 vintage pucks that I could have used if unable to locate the modern one.

I'm ready!

$IMG_3475 - Version 2.jpg

Don't forget using the alum to improve grip. Should further help make the experiment worthwhile.

+++ 1

I do this every shave, and miss it this week while traveling. Helps keep my razor from sliding around my fingers while shaving.

I use alum daily. But I think it is so utilitarian that it hardly makes an "item of the week" :wink2:

After shaving, I rinse my face, put on alum, clean my shaving gear, rinse the alum off, and apply after shave balm.

Shave #1

Spieck stick
Mergress with Gillette 7 O'Clock black
Muhle synth brush

Finished with RR alum after a cold water rinse. I have been wet shaving for less than a year and really didn't know what alum is. It tightens my skin and allows me to tell any irritated areas. My skin is much clearer as well. Alum is an awesome product and I plan to use it as a deodorant as well.

This will be my first item of the week! I'll be using a thai crystal alum block. I used the alum block after my one pass, no touchups, no going back, SR shave this morning and had no stinging. Its going to be an interesting week!

Shave 1
GEM Flying Wing, QCS Iced Key Lime, Vie Long 12705, Alum

Didn't use any ASB, only alum. I was expecting a major sting after not a great shave, but the menthol in the soap seemed to kill off any response.
Left the alum on and didn't rinse. Last time I did that I attributed it to a major post-shave itch. Now I know that must have had a different cause, this time nothing.

Edwin Jagger DE89 with Astra SP (3)
Geo F Trumper Coconut oil Soap
Semogue, Italian barber special edition
Alum
Pinaud Clubman

The Alum worked fine as always- I hadn't used my Jagger in probably 6 or 7 months- it's a lot better than I remember! BBS with no irritation after 3 passes.

First time participating. Well, here it is:

Brand new Astra in the Merkur 1904, Cella in stick form, Frank Shaving Finest Badger brush, Cremo as a pre-shave (tried it for the first time today), KMF Unscented and glycerin for the uberlather and RazoRock alum--gotta love the convenient handle. A splash of the Hazel, ebarbershop lilac and finished by moisturizing with Aveeno Clear Complexion. Great shave!

$Alum 1.jpg

As always--picture taken with a cell phone camera by a guy with no photography skills!

Wish I was in on this one but I do not have an Alum block. Does rubbing a chunk of asphalt from my parking lot work the same? Will it close off weepers? :confused1

I use alum every shave. I also use witch hazel every shave. I do not really vary my post routine:

1. Cold water rinse
2. Alum (let sit on face while I clean up everything except the brush/scuttle)
3. Cold water rinse with remnants of lather, if any
4. Witch hazel

I use Crystal deodorant stick, which is alum in a deodorant stick form found in most health stores. For Whitch hazel I use Thayers alcohol free witch hazel with aloe. Works great and keeps my skin in great health. I do not like alcoholic splashes and fragrances. So this works out great.
This is my post shave routine as well. Identical routine, isn't it funny? I don't like alcohol on skin and this is reason I switched to Alum.

I started using Thayers a couple of years ago and I really like it.
The only insignificant difference is that I let alum sit while I rinse the brush and bowl. I rinse it after and always use cold water. I was raised that way and cannot start a day if I don't wash with cold water.

Shave 2 - Giving my Merkur 11c one last chance to save itself from the B/S/T and it did. Loaded with a feather the Merkur managed to give me a close shave, albeit with several touch ups, I think it is just a matter of technique that I have not dialed in. Also on the excitement list this morning was trying out the new TFS soap "Classico". While my sinuses were plugged up from allergies the performance was as expected, magnifico! After two passes and several touch ups there were some rough feeling areas on my face. A hot water rinse followed by Alum seemed to settle down any irritation, even if it did sting just a little at first. A cold water rinse followed by a generous splash of Skin Bracer sealed off an overall nice shave. Today's post-shave skin feel is not as dry as yesterday and I don't know if that is because of the soap or aftershave. I will be using the same TFS soap tomorrow and the Dominica Bay Rum aftershave from Day 1 to see if I can narrow it down.

$0429030527.jpg

Rudy Vey custom 2-band
TFS Classico
Merkur 11c
Feather Blade (1)
Thai deodorant crystal (alum)
Skin Bracer

Today's shave:
$Alum1.jpg
I took the advice of some of the previous posts and tried using the alum on my fingers during the shave for extra traction. It definitely improved my grip while skin stretching. I can be fairly "hands on" with my lather - using my fingers to manipulate it on certain areas during the shave to get it just where I want it. The feel of this was of course different than usual with alum on my fingers. I don't think it negatively impacted the shave, though. Godrej has become my dark horse soap. It's not luxurious, but I always get nice irritation free shaves with it (as long as my technique is solid). My skin is quite happy after a Godrej shave.

I'm very interested in the idea of alum as a deodorant...though I will have to buy another block as I can't get over the gross factor of going back and forth between my face and armpits with the same block. :bored: Time to pick up some Crystal...

I'm very interested in the idea of alum as a deodorant...though I will have to buy another block as I can't get over the gross factor of going back and forth between my face and armpits with the same block. :bored: Time to pick up some Crystal...

A lot of people love the crystal deodorant. I thought it sucked. But I wish I would have thought to save it for shaving. Then again, do I really want to use it on my face after using in under my arms? :confused1

A lot of people love the crystal deodorant. I thought it sucked. But I wish I would have thought to save it for shaving. Then again, do I really want to use it on my face after using in under my arms? :confused1

I forgot to add that after I rub the alum on my face, I wet the block a little more and hit my arm pits. I find that you have to make it good and wet and get your arm pits wet from the alum or it's not as effective. It doesn't stop sweating at all, but it keeps the odor down. Some folks have more trouble than others with underarm odor. Mine is generally pretty tame, but it's still there if I don't do anything. Antiperspirants and deodorants give me a rash. With the alum I'm odor free all day unless I'm doing something really strenuous. Or just plain hungover. :001_tongu

I don't worry about the "gross factor" because I always do this directly after showering. And the alum kills all the bugaboos anyway.

Top Bottom