What's new

Alum - Item of the Week 4/29/13

NEW Long Comb, QCS Fougere, Gillete 7 o'clock yellow, TGN Silvertip

The best bowl lather I ever did was somewhat spoiled by my mishandling of the NEW. Actively cut myself twice just by placing razor on skin.

Also over did it a bit on the ATG. Felt a bit like the first time I used a Feather.

After yesterday's non-event, I was rewarded today with an alum sting the size of Austria. Yowsers!

A note about alum as deodorant - I have gotten best results from keeping my underarm hair trimmed (a moderate, not braid length), applying immediately after a shower with alum that is real wet. Going under each arm for about ten seconds usually lasts me about 24 hours, but applying alum like a regular deodorant (3-4 swipes) will not do it. Also, alum is not an antiperspirant so you will still sweat, you just won't stink as bad (or hopefully at all). I have since switched to a homemade liquid deodorant (still alum based) that I find much easier to apply, but I did have good results with alum by itself.

Pre de Provence, B&B Essential, Slant w/ Gillette green, alum, and Old Spice. Razor and blade combo is really nice, and no sting with the alum. I also use alum for grip to stretch skin. it works great and is a usual part of the routine now.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I've only used a deodorant (not antiperspirant) for years, so I understand the difference there. I was wondering if this might require some 'scaping of the underarms...I'll have to get out the electric for that though since I'm not about to go grain-mapping my pits!

And as for just using one block....well, I guess the alum is an antiseptic, right? So, here goes I guess.....gulp :a48:

Thanks for the tips everyone! I've only used a deodorant (not antiperspirant) for years, so I understand the difference there. I was wondering if this might require some 'scaping of the underarms...I'll have to get out the electric for that though since I'm not about to go grain-mapping my pits!

And as for just using one block....well, I guess the alum is an antiseptic, right? So, here goes I guess.....gulp :a48:

A #2 on the clippers is perfect for me and just rinse off the block in between uses and you'll be fine. Follow up with an alcohol splash and you'll be double safe.

i would like to give this a go.

i usually use which hazel but i may try this as well, i have used it a fair bit before but finds that sometimes it actually makes irritation worse and more prolonged whereas which hazel stops it dead

now my technique is far better i shall be trying again :)

i would like to give this a go.

i usually use which hazel but i may try this as well, i have used it a fair bit before but finds that sometimes it actually makes irritation worse and more prolonged whereas which hazel stops it dead

now my technique is far better i shall be trying again :)

No reason you can't use both alum and WH. I do.

I shave, rinse, apply alum, clean up tools, apply WH, apply balm. I sometimes skip some or all of the applications, but the full set sure feels good.
3-pass shave followed by 3-pass skincare!
I rarely wear AS but if I did I would simply tag that on to the end.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I remember why I quit using alum. I don't like the taste. No matter how careful I am it always seems to get in my mouth.

My first item of the week I can take part in. Alum is an every day item for me in my shave routine so this should be easy.

Basically, the same setup as yesterday:

Astra in the Merkur 1904
Frank Shaving Finest Badger brush
Cremo as a pre-shave. Today I used it first, instead of the initial lather, to soften my face. I just left it on as the pre-shave product. That worked pretty well, I think--but not quite as well as what I usually do.
RazoRock Zi Peppino
RazoRock alum- first time I have actually felt any sting in years
Witch Hazel
No AS
Moisturizer (Aveeno)

Today's shave was a bit eventful. First as I was lathering in the shower I realized I forgot to bring the razor in. Fortunately I can reach the razor from the shower. (I did consider skipping the razor altogether might give me even a smoother shave than when I put the base plate in upside-down.) The blade (Astra, 2nd shave) seemed smooth, but at times I was feeling some irritation---something was "off". The shave finished fine, a DFS in my opinion.

But I noticed with the alum a little bit of a sting. When I splashed with the Hazel, I noticed a small slice at the bottom of my neck. Nothing serious, but a slice, not a weeper, ***? Then when I went to rinse the razor again before drying, I noticed it wasn't really tight. I don't always tighten them up completely before hanging them for the day. When I reached out of the shower to grab it, I forget to re-tighten the razor. D'OH!

Another lesson learned.

this mornings setup (my usual set up)

revisor 5/8 straight razor
Arko soap
simpsons special brush

my first pass was super quick and easy, following a good shave the day before my face felt great so i thought ah ill do another pass (xtg and atg)

this was the first time i had ever received irritation from using my straight: slight rash and scratches on my cheek with a bit of a scraze on my neck and few small nicks.
this was entirely my fault as i felt a bit cocky from using it everyday and getting perfect shaves everyday... and it punished me for being cocky, and negligent.

After a slight punishing from the razor i thought "oh **** now i have to use alum for item of the week"

the Alum punished me also :cryin:

lessons learnt: don't ever disrespect a sharp razor, or the razor and the alum will gang up on you and LAY YOUR *** OUT!!

RazoRock alum is part of my daily shave routine. My first one is now more of a pebble, but I have a new one waiting in the wings.

Gillette Slim on 2
Astra SP
A terrible AoS Best Badger brush...
Proraso Green
Bloc Osma Alum
QCS Vostok Aftershave Balm

Alum has been a constant in my shaving routine since I purchased the block, I don't like to shave without it. Last night was the first time I nicked myself in quite a while (thanks to a lovely pimple I was careless with when shaving over. There was actually a decent amount of blood shed, but the alum stopped the flow immediately. I haven't really thought of using alum for this specific purpose, but I was incredibly relieved and grateful for my alum block afterward.

In short: thank you Alum! I love this week's item of the week

Top Bottom