What's new

Lapping film, try it.

In a nutshell:

Attachments

• $1king.jpg
    $1king.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 326
Honed a Robeson (eBay special) last night, started over from bevel setting on DMT Fine, through lapping film progression (12um, 3um, 1um, 1um + picopaper), and of course a leather stropping. First stroke or two this morning was pretty good, but I felt it could be better, so I put it on the diamond paste balsa strops (50 laps on 0.5um and 50 on 0.25um), then hit the leather strop. What a difference! Smooth cutting -- as smooth as the Hoffritz which was purchased (and honed by Noah). That's encouraging as I've now managed to get a keen and smooth edge (at least by my current standards) on my own: from bevel to finish.

Will I be chasing a better edge? Yes. Will I keep trying to get that better edge with film? Yes. Will I also start practicing with natural stones? Blasphemy in this thread, but yes. I have a coticule and will continue trying to master that too. Film just may be too easy -- and I mean that in a good way: before I start experimenting too deeply with less straightforward methods, I wanted to KNOW I could get a keen and smooth edge; film gave that to me first try. That's pretty incredible. But I simply enjoy challenges and learning new things, so I refuse to be monogamous. At least when it comes to hones.
:whistling:

Do all of you still use paper underneath the film as a last step in the process? Out of lazyness I kinda stopped doing it, and I'm not sure I notice much of a difference? It also seemed to be much easier to screw up an edge by using paper sometimes...mostly because I would often not apply it properly guess...

Do all of you still use paper underneath the film as a last step in the process? Out of lazyness I kinda stopped doing it, and I'm not sure I notice much of a difference? It also seemed to be much easier to screw up an edge by using paper sometimes...mostly because I would often not apply it properly guess...

I don't use paper as a last step.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If I stop at 1u I dont bother with picopaper. If I go on to .3u I use it. Sub-micron grit films can give a not so comfortable edge without it. YMMV.

Maybe ill try one last time next time I hone a straight, but its hard to really remember the difference from one honing to the next.

Same with 0.3u, i used it on and off but stopped altogether...wasn't sure it really helped

its hard to really remember the difference from one honing to the next. Same with 0.3u, i used it on and off but stopped altogether...wasn't sure it really helped

Yup, I understand that... With a growing collection, I started keeping a honing log. I use .3µ occasionally to put the icing on the cake of a razor that's been a problem child, but mostly I finish on 1µ.

Yup, I understand that... With a growing collection, I started keeping a honing log. I use .3µ occasionally to put the icing on the cake of a razor that's been a problem child, but mostly I finish on 1µ.
Yeah same thing, I use a log where I note how many shaves I have on an edge, how it was finished, and how was the shave. That way I remember which ones I can use, and which to rehone.

If I didn't use so many different razors maybe it would be easier...but then again even on the same razor I sometimes have an off day at honing and need to redo it later on

When I do use film now, which is not often, I don't use paper anymore. For me it was just another crutch until I figured out how to hone. In the end I think it slowed my progress.

If I didn't use so many different razors maybe it would be easier...

Perish the thought! Variety is the spice of life, let your RAD run free! :)

I sometimes have an off day at honing and need to redo it later on

I think we've all been there at some point, I know I have :p

Haha my RAD ran wild for a LONG while, and I know it can come back just about anytime... Its too bad I can't use all my razors on every shave! ;-)

Perish the thought! Variety is the spice of life, let your RAD run free! :)

I think we've all been there at some point, I know I have :p

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
where are you guys getting your kits from. every one i found doesnt have 12u in the kit. they have 15, 9, 5, 3, 1

Most of us dont order a kit. We just order the grits we want. But 15 to 9 is a perfectly acceptable jump and 15 is okay for bevel setting. Some guys dont like the 5u, because it slurries heavily, though I havent really noticed a problem with it, so they jump from 9u to 3u. 3u and 1u will get used a lot. You will put a lot of laps on your 3u because of the big jump from 9u, and you will use the 1u a lot for touchups. You dont have to set the bevel or run the full progression again, once you have done it already. All you have to do is hit your 1u which is your finisher.

Some of us also use .3u over picopaper as a finish. YMMV. Some like it, some dont. Finnessing a comfortable edge from this very fine film is tricky, unlike the very straightforward technique used on the other grits.

Wow, this thread has been going forever. Let's jump it back to the front of the honing section.

I am even willing to leave my black sitting and try some film for a new razor this week after reading all of this.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Wow, this thread has been going forever. Let's jump it back to the front of the honing section.

I am even willing to leave my black sitting and try some film for a new razor this week after reading all of this.

You read it ALL??? Well, it is a good thread. I think it should get stickified.

Top Bottom