What's new

Gillette Slim vs Merkur Progress

Which one?

• Merkur Progress

• Gillette Slim

Results are only viewable after voting.
Cool I am the first to comment. I have not tried the Progress but the Slim at least beats it on looks.

Picked Progress. Yes the Slim is better looking, has better construction/quality. However, having used both extensively I keep reaching for the Progress.

So, allow me to make a completely unfounded post.

I prefer the Slim. However, I've never tried a Progress.

Told you it was illogical.

(Bottom line is that I absolutely LOVE the Slim. It's my daily driver for over a year now. I like it so much that I have no desire to even try the Progress, so I guess I'll never be able to give you the answer you actually asked for.)

Love my slim but the Fatboy is my favorite by far. As with others, I have not tried the Progress, but would gladly trial it out if someone was so inclined!!!!

The slim was my first razor. I own a red tip, 50's SS, and a blue tip, but I have used the slim more than all of those combined in the past year.

I have never tried the progress. I was about to buy one after watching Mantic's videos and before I even knew the slim existed. I changed my mind when I read all the complaints about the faulty adjustment dial of the progress and about Merkur in general. The price is a big turn off too.

I have a Slim but think I'd prefer the Progress. Progress leads us into the Futur, so in the end does it really matter?

Not understanding..., 5 out of 8 have NOT tried both razors, so it is IMPOSSIBLE to compare them or make a legitimate vote.
This starts with a simple poll- Gillette Slim vs Merkur Progress.

HOW can ANYONE vote for one over the other IF you have not used both?
That is a 100% Unfair vote. The question is which you like better, if YOU have NOT used both to compare, it is IMPOSSIBLE to cast a vote for one or the other, not having used both to compare.
It is also unfair to cast a "vote" solely based on what it looks like. If it was a question of a beauty contest, on, fair enough.
Also unfair to cast a vote and then refer to other posts that like or do not like one or the other as you have NO, NONE, ZERO, NADA experience with both to make any comparison.

Not understanding..., 5 out of 8 have NOT tried both razors, so it is IMPOSSIBLE to compare them or make a legitimate vote.

That is a 100% Unfair vote. The question is which you like better, if YOU have NOT used both to compare, it is IMPOSSIBLE to cast a vote for one or the other, not having used both to compare.
It is also unfair to cast a "vote" solely based on what it looks like. If it was a question of a beauty contest, on, fair enough.
Also unfair to cast a vote and then refer to other posts that like or do not like one or the other as you have NO, NONE, ZERO, NADA experience with both to make any comparison.

I am going to disagree with you here. The OP left this poll completely vague so there is no way of knowing what the poll is about until the end. What if it IS a poll about the looks between both of them? He never said you had to use them to cast a vote. Besides, it's all in fun. :)

I could vote for the slim simply because I won't purchase the progress

Makes total sense actually in what you say, how can you compare if you have not tried both? Good point and I think legitimate and valid.

I have both a slim and a progress, I seem to like the progress better. It's been what I reach for most. I also have a redtip, futur, slant. For me the progress has been given me the best shaves lately.

Even if it is about looks, all you would be comparing would be pictures on a screen, not a "real" comparison of two items objectively being evaluated.
Example, a Gillette Super Speed and a copy of one- Vincent, Big Roc or whatever name they put on a "look-a-like" this week.
On paper..., or should I say "screen", the New , $9.99 Super Speed "Copy" looks BETTER. Why? Because it is new, in a new box, with brush, blades and even a mirror included.
1- The fake has a higher shine, so it wins,
2- The fake has a better price, so it wins,
3- The fake is available new in the box, with accessories, so it wins,
4- The fake is readily available in more finishes, chrome, nickel, gold, gun metal, different mixes of colors, etc, so it wins.
5- I never owned a "real" Gillette Super Speed, so the fake wins again

So, now let's say Slim and Progress, same thing.
Just looking at it in a common sense, logical way.
I do not want to and will not argue about it, I have used both, so will have to vote twice, one for Slim and one for Progress..., make sense? :)

It's ok, wanejitsu. I wasn't trying to argue. Simply stating my case. In the end, the OP didn't play fair so neither do we. But I do see your point. :thumbup1:

It's ok, wanejitsu. I wasn't trying to argue. Simply stating my case. In the end, the OP didn't play fair so neither do we. But I do see your point. :thumbup1:

Thank you:) (same here, I do see your point of not knowing what he was "looking for". I just assumed since he wanted to compare razors, razors shave, therefore a comparison of the shaving performance was in question, but could be wrong?
Today..., who knows someone's agenda, LOL!!!

Even if it is about looks, all you would be comparing would be pictures on a screen, not a "real" comparison of two items objectively being evaluated.
Example, a Gillette Super Speed and a copy of one- Vincent, Big Roc or whatever name they put on a "look-a-like" this week.
On paper..., or should I say "screen", the New , $9.99 Super Speed "Copy" looks BETTER. Why? Because it is new, in a new box, with brush, blades and even a mirror included.
1- The fake has a higher shine, so it wins,
2- The fake has a better price, so it wins,
3- The fake is available new in the box, with accessories, so it wins,
4- The fake is readily available in more finishes, chrome, nickel, gold, gun metal, different mixes of colors, etc, so it wins.
5- I never owned a "real" Gillette Super Speed, so the fake wins again

So, now let's say Slim and Progress, same thing.
Just looking at it in a common sense, logical way.
I do not want to and will not argue about it, I have used both, so will have to vote twice, one for Slim and one for Progress..., make sense? :)

+1 Nicely Said.

There have been a ton of reported defects with the new Merkur razors. The Gillette DEs from the 1930's to about 1970 were built like tanks and can take a lot of use. If you take care of the Gillette you will probably be able to pass it down to your grandkids. The new Merkurs with their quality problems, probably only lasts a year before some piece of it breaks. About the only good I have heard about the build quality of newer Merkurs is the Futur and even that one is not worth what is charged for it.

Top Bottom