What's new

Merkur Futur vs Fat Boy or Slim

Those three are all adjustable - of the three I own and have used a Fat Boy - was wondering if anyone has
experinence with the Futur vs any vintage razors like but not limited to FB & Slim and how they would rate
the side x side experience ?

Nothing in common (except for adjustability). The Futur is very different compared to the Gillette adjustables.
Much more aggressive. Even on the low settings it is aggressive. Low degree of clamping and huge gaps compared to the Gillettes where clamping by the adjuster posts is strong and the gaps are moderate.

My FatBoy is E4 and looks like there are 4 posts that move when the dial is turned to adjust the blade angle when the doors are closed - I bet pretty accurate when new but now here it is 60+ years later and I don't notice any difference with the naked eye
in the height of those posts - or should I be looking at the slit where each blade side pokes out ? and if so how do I measure that
slit , feeler gauge ??

My FatBoy is E4 and looks like there are 4 posts that move when the dial is turned to adjust the blade angle when the doors are closed - I bet pretty accurate when new but now here it is 60+ years later and I don't notice any difference with the naked eye
in the height of those posts - or should I be looking at the slit where each blade side pokes out ? and if so how do I measure that
slit , feeler gauge ??
It is called a gap. You measure it with the feeler gauge.

If you're considering a current production adjustable, I would consider the Merkur Progress (or it's less expensive copy, the Parker Variant) or the all-brass Pearl Flexi.
Do you have experience with the Futur and if so what are its' pro and cons ?

Do you have experience with the Futur and if so what are its' pro and cons ?
As others already stated, the Futur is monster- agressive. It's the most aggressive DE razor I know. Bragging rights surpass even the famed R41. On top of that, the blade has a way of flexing because it is not clamped down very well, to a point where you can *hear* the flexing as you shave. Feels crazy aggressive, a bit like the feeling of a shavette. Add to this, the clunky feel of the razor head. THe Futur is one of a kind, and some people love it, others hate it.
I have used it a fair bit, and I'd say its not suited for daily shaving (for me), too hard on the skin for that. If you only shave a couple of times a week, it might work. On the other hand, the attributes mentioned above also forces you to be careful, forces you to take your time with your shave. Which is a nice thing. And, you'll get a terrifically close shave alright..! And, it is a beautiful and unique razor.
Those are pros and cons all mixed up.

Those three are all adjustable - of the three I own and have used a Fat Boy - was wondering if anyone has
experinence with the Futur vs any vintage razors like but not limited to FB & Slim and how they would rate
the side x side experience ?

Got a Futur as my second razor this Spring. Liked it a lot, bought a shiny golden one. It's definitely aggressive, but manageable. I mostly operated on settings 1-2, sometimes 3. Played around with setting 4 but that was more than I needed.

Bought a used Mergress and Opgress long handle from BST here. Like them better than my Futur's. They shave nicely.

Was recently gifted a Gillette Slim Adjustable. I like it a lot. Ordered a Fat Boy, I liked the Slim so much. Supposed to arrive this weekend and I'm looking forward to it!

Would not be surprised if I try selling the above four Merkurs. But I suspect it's not worth the hassle.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I am going to echo what other's have said, because I quite agree, that the Futur is super aggressive, compared to my 1959 Gillette Fatboy. It has insane levels of blade gap, when set on levels between 4 to 6. Where as my Fatboy razor, only is mildly aggressive when set on 9, but that only matches up with the gap of the Futur, when its set on 3!

Since the Futur uses a top cap snap down method of securing the blade, instead of tightening the handle method, it invites a little bit of blade chatter, because it doesn't hold the blade rigid enough. Also, the Futur has a huge head on it, which makes it crazy difficult to get the under the nose whiskers, and if you have OCD like I do, its gonna drive you nuts!

IMO, the Fatboy gets the under the nose whiskers easier. Another factor to consider, the Fatboy has good knurling on the handle, which provides a solid grip. Where as the Futur uses a completely smooth handle, and it will most certainly give you the slip. Its happened to me several of times, and I do not appreciate a razor slipping out of my hand when I least expect it.

I also own a Rex Ambassador razor, which is a much higher quality razor, as far as overall construction, when compared to the Futur. But the Ambassador, while also having crazy efficiency on higher settings, it also unfortunately shaves my face and neck roughly. So it really earns its name, because its like your bringing T-Rex to your face, dino teeth can hurt!

Most recently I bought a brand new razor, released by Blackland, and I already fell in love with it, after my first use. I had a shave so wonderful, it out shinned all my other adjustable razors. So if your looking for a top tier quality modern adjustable razor, I would highly recommend you take a look at, the Blackland Osprey Adjustable razor. And yes, I even enjoyed it over my Fatboy!

proxy.php

IMG_5950.JPG

proxy.php

Gillette Slims are easily found in good shape and are an excellent razor. Fatboys are probably better (and what I really prefer) but more expensive.

Gillette got it right with those two, no need to do something weird or exotic to get a really good shave. The later Black Beauty/Super Adjustables are OK, but I don't like the skinny handle and the long version (which is the most common) gets in my way shaving. More expensive too, since they didn't sell anywhere near as well as the Slim -- disposables rapidly wiped out the double edge razor market because they are cheaper up front (although not in the long term). They shave just about exactly the same as a Slim.

Gillette Slims are easily found in good shape and are an excellent razor. Fatboys are probably better (and what I really prefer) but more expensive.

I think the argument Slim v/s Fatboy has no right or wrong answer. Both have fans, both have those who don't like anything Gillette.

I think adjustables in general -- not just the Futur -- have large and clonky heads -- save for such likes as the Rockwell 6S where you "adjust" by changing the entire base plate. This is the reason adjustables have never really attracted me other than as a collector item

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
The concave structure inside the Futur head also retains excess water, making it difficult to shake it off when tilted.
When I was halfway through shaving my head, the excess water would suddenly flow out, easily letting lather flow into my eyes, which really bothered me. So I gave it to a friend.

In addition, its head made of zinc alloy has been confirmed to have rotted cases. You can see someone posting his rotten Futur on B&B. The user also said that he cherishes the use and maintenance, but unfortunately it happened eventually.

Therefore, in the OP’s list, Slim and Fatboy are both more mature razor designs than Futur.
The designers of Futur must be actively thinking about "how to be different", but they forgot to pay attention to some basic aspects.

I think adjustables in general -- not just the Futur -- have large and clonky heads -- save for such likes as the Rockwell 6S where you "adjust"
by changing the entire base plate. This is the reason adjustables have never really attracted me other than as a collector item

The head of the 6s is actually thicker than many well-known and popular adjustable razors.
And because of the double thickness of the base plate, the 6s is also heavier than most adjustable razors and 3 pieces razor.

Tatara Muramasa designed its groundbreaking adjustable shaver so that its head is even thinner than the 6s.
The Muramasa head is about the same thickness as many three-piece razors, and is actually comparable to the Wolfman Wr2 in comparison.

------※Measure the thickest part of each razor ,and turn the adjustable razor head to the thickest number------
Razorock GC68 head=6.5mm (3 pieces)
Muramasa head=8.5mm (adjustable)
Wolfman Wr2 head=8.5mm (3 pieces)
Rex Ambassador head=9mm (adjustable)
Charcoal Goods Gen3 head=9.2mm (3 pieces)
Timeless ti68 sc head=10mm (3 pieces)
Gillette slim head=10mm (adjustable)
6s head=12mm (3 pieces)

未命名.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom