What's new

Trying to Find the Perfect Blade for Me

You guys have been incredibly helpful to me as I returned to wet-shaving after 12 years of a Braun electric preceded by 25 years of cartridge blades. I'm hoping you can help me with this.

I've figured out (from your combined wisdom) that there is no universally perfect blade but that there is a "best blade" for each man based on his face, his products and his routine.

I've amassed packages of eighteen different blades through various samplers. What I want to do now is figure out which is best for me. I've committed to using the same routine (washing face with warm water and soap while showering, hot towel, preshave oil, ToOBS Jermyn Street Sensitive Shave Cream (WTG and XTG), Shave Secret (for ATG pass), cold rinse, alum block, warm rinse, styptic (if needed) and Thayers Witch Hazel. What I want to do next is create a spread sheet on which I can track information that will help me determine which blade(s) I should stick with. What indicators should I be looking for (drag, smoothness of results, nicks, etc)? What kind of scale should I be using without becoming obsessive (1 to 3? 1 to 5?)?

If anyone has ever done this (or thought about it) I'd be grateful for your input.

Thanks, all!

nice! I was thinking of doing the same kind of thing...not so much to log every razor by different qualities but to evaluate the 15 different types I have and then say these three razors work best for me does anyone know ones that are similar...
that way I could focus my search on more likely candidate blades.
I was also thinking of putting all my blades under my microscope and taking pics of the edges to see if I could find any correlation between the way it shaves and how the edge looks. that might be useful to people looking for that perfect blade.
as for qualities to monitor...i'd say: dragging, skipping, redness/irritation, weepers/nicks, some indicator of how hard it was to get bbs/dfs like number of passes or time shaving...
the scale would be whatever you feel like...i'm sure that'll work itself out after a few blades but 1-3 or 1-5 would be sufficient i think I doubt going 1-10 or 1-100 would be very helpful ;)

I don't know if you're familiar with this spreadsheet from the B&B Wiki. It may have data of interest to you. Also, a Google search for "Squire's blade reviews" will provide additional data.

Great process. Good luck!

Codfish

Last edited:
I think it's a lot simpler than analyzing a blade down to numbers. I found the right blade when I could shave with it everyday and not get ingrown hairs, razor burn and could get a BBS/DFS in minimal passes - generally 3-4 without all the touch up blade buffing and j-hooking.

Are those Squire's ratings from shavemyface.com in the "Other Rating" column?

I am pretty sure that the perfect blade is not out there. Some are better than others but even blades within a pack can be inconsistent.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
jcocucci:
I'm glad you got rid of the cartridge blades and the electric razor, but what shave tools are you using now. :blushing:

My advice is as your techinque gets better, then you will be able to tell the difference of blade brands and when you receive your Sampler,try 2,3,4 or 5 blades (however which amount per blade brand), before you continue to the next brand.

Also, When I received my Sampler, the best advice was from member Optometrist a.k.a David who stated;

"I say jump straight in with the feathers. Yes, they are sharp, but you learn very quickly to let the weight of the razor do the work for you. If you can get the feather right, then it's plain sailing with the others. A few nicks and cuts early on are nothing to worry about and stand you in good stead. Start with a lesser blade and it's a continual learning process as you step up the level of sharpness".

Also, member Npsarros stated, "Keep a spreadsheet with every shave [you], have taken, rating each blade as [you], go along". My spread data ratings reads in columns as thus (PM me and I will send you my workable spread sheet example);

Razor Blade / Country / Type - Sharpness (Aggressive - Very Sharp, Moderate Sharpness or Mild Sharpness), - Closeness of Shave - Smoothness of Shave - Comfort of Shave - Overall Rating (Awesome, passable or unpleasant)

Since you may have Feathers in your pack (considered to be very, very sharp and agressive), maybe other members can 'chime in' and suggest which of your blades is the sharpest....then work down from there. :thumbup:

"In what Order should I test these Sampler Razor Blades?" Thread and Posted Replies.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=180210&highlight=order

Christopher
proxy.php

"A razor [blade], can't be sharpened on a piece of velvet." Anonymous

Thanks, Count! I'm using a Merkur Futur razor and brush set.Hadn't thought about going to the Feathers yet, but I'll take your advice. Thanks again!

Top Bottom