What's new

Help me find the BEST blade (or two or three)

Except a few, I have used almost all the blades you mentioned. And sooner or later they all disappointed me because their performance was not constant. Furthermore, I always use the same razor, a long-handled Merkur.

And then I wanted to try the Kai thanks to the excellent reviews I had read in this wonderful forum and on my blade supplier's blog.

I've been using it ever since.

Kai, Kai, Kai. the cut is always smooth and sharp to the point and I use the same blade for at least a week.

The consistency of production quality is remarkable. After thousands of trials, I have encountered less than 5 blades that were not smooth on the first cut. However, I left one of these inserted in the razor in the second house, left closed for the winter for 2 months!

(I posted this as part of another thread, but I think it is getting lost because of that thread title)

As a newbie+++ (not brand new, but not nearly as experienced as many here), the "hunt" for the BEST or PERFECT or FOREVER blade seems elusive, confusing, and inundating as there are hundreds of blades/variations (e.g., Derby Professional and Derby Extra), plus the many iterations of different countries some blades have traveled (eg, Wilkinson Sword (at least 4 countries: England, Germany, China and I think I am missing one).

The point is that *I* am looking for a great blade for me. Naturally, the popular reply is "try out several and see what works for you; move up as you get more experienced" and so on. On the surface (more puns), this all makes sense. BUT BUT BUT, the # of blade permutations to tryout are overwhelming, and while some peopelk will steer you clear of, for example, Derby (see quote above), I find that is untrue (and unfair) to the blade and the new shaver/gentlman.

I DID try a Derby Extra 🙄 in Merkur 34c and the shave was VERY good. I did 3 passes, nice and slowly, carefully for a beginner (actually used FACE lather method, which I much prefer) and then I used my Vikings Emperor Meiji (adjusted to 3--OMG!!--using the "comb" side of that DE razor) using a Derby Extra (not same blade as in the Merkur--a fresh one in each). While some people may truly be horrified, the shave was incredibly close. So it took 4 passes? Meh. No biggie, I *assume* many of us here ENJOY (that is the point (more puns)) the time shaving often for aficionados and "hobbyists" such as us on here. (There are 260M Americans (I know we have International people here, too! 😀👍🏼) but only a sliver (more puns) are on here.

ANYWAY, The Derby Extra gets short shrift. It is an excellent blade when, perhaps, paired with the right razor. (And, of course, we know the basics:

Platinum in/on a blade helps maintain a sharp edge; Tungsten reduces corrosion; Chromium helps maintain sharpness and so on.

So while the Derby Extra that I used yesterday is not an Astra Superior Platihum (Green), Feather or Personna Platinum Chrome (just to name a few very popular brands/specs), it is a fantastic blde (very forgiving, great for sensitive skin/beginners; not great on coarse, so on), it is still a GREAT blade. (Sounds like I am defending it a bit!)

👉🏼 👉🏼 👉🏼 In any event, I AM curious to know that if you could only take THREE different blades to use for the rest of your life, what would it be? The more people that answer, the more informed and %%%s do make a difference in my book. I assume Feather will be on the list. 😍

Cheers; Happy New Year.
I only need 1 blade, Willy’s! I use it in a Fatip open comb. Very forgiving and lasts forever!

Get Nacet blades while they are still at a reasonable price.

1711470741222.png

👉🏼 👉🏼 👉🏼 In any event, I AM curious to know that if you could only take THREE different blades to use for the rest of your life, what would it be? The more people that answer, the more informed and %%%s do make a difference in my book. I assume Feather will be on the list. 😍

Cheers; Happy New Year.

•Feather
•Perma-Sharp
•Astra SP (Russian)

I really like Bic Chrome Platinum & Gillette Super Platinum (blacks) as well but they seem to be picky about razors, whereas the 3 above perform wonderfully in all the razors I’ve tried so far.

Top Bottom