What's new

Help me find the BEST blade (or two or three)

lasta

Blade Biter
Would you use vintage Wilkinson Made in England? (I know they are almost non-existent)
Blades are YMMV but I found all the English Wilkies I've tried to be OK at best and hyped to the max. Most are on the lower end of sharp. Super Sword Edges were sharper than average, but rather rough.

What works for me might not work for you. It's a YMMV thingy. My favorite blades are:

1) Fatip blade
2) Feather
3) Permasharp

The Fatip blade is a combination of the Feather and Astra SP. Super sharp but also super smooth.

For some reason, I haven’t come across Dorco brand blades in my shopping. Where do you buy them? Online at?
Link to our thread on Dorco blades with much of the latest information. Also for @geneaut , @cranewarrior and @Stikeyoda who is correct about their factory in Vietnam.

Bottom line on Dorco is that you want to be sure you are ordering more recent "made in Vietnam" blades that are generally excellent versus older made in Korea production for which many here have reported mixed results.

Note that Dorco offers the same blade in plastic and paper tucks under different SKU numbers. I've realized excellent results from their made in Vietnam Stainless (ST300 -paper tuck, ST301-plastic tuck) and Prime (STP300/301 - paper/plastic tucks) as have most others on B&B. Upon inquiry most examples of poor shaving turned out to be with older made in Korea production. They also have a Titan DE blade (STL300) that some here like. At around $6 per 100 on Amazon the ST300's are one of the best blade values out there. Just be careful with the listings on Amazon and elsewhere as some vendors are still showing older Korean production blades.

Lots of additional details and clarifications can be found in the thread linked below:

For me, it’s Permasharp hands down. I can honestly say I have never had a bad shave with one in multiple razors from what I can remember. This is from day one to day five doing 1-2 passes every weekday. Incredibly smooth result post shave with the blade itself being sharp and smooth. If I can only have one blade for the rest of my life it’d be that. In fact, I’m about to order another 100 just to store. They’re still available for $10 on Amazon btw.

My other choices if I had to pick 2 more would be Nacet and Feather. However, I can say that I’ve had rougher shaves with them. Nothing terrible like a bloody mess but rough meaning my face feels a bit raw or a little irritated after. This could very well be due to my technique or other factors.

Kind of sad seeing how many blades we’ve lost and how many are a poor choice cost wise.

Permasharp seems to be the best modern bang for the buck IMO

Feathers are expensive but do the job well in mild razors.

if they haven’t changed 7 O‘clock blacks they have a rough first shave but smooth out well.

Nacets seemed “meh” but not bad, very serviceable.

Wizamets? They werent as good as polsilver SIs for me though, still very good.

USA Personna Lab blues can be nice in mild razors.

Once I use up the Treet carbon and platinums I have I'll be purchasing 200 of Personna Platinums and stay with them. I get 5-6 great shaves from the Personnas.

I am glad someone asked this because I am running out of Feather blades. I bought the 10 blade pack to try it out. Everyone said it was the sharpest razor and beginners should steer clear, and naturally I ignored their advice, but to be safe I only bought the one pack.

I really enjoyed them, but I am wondering if there is something just as sharp but a little less expensive. Also, one that might last a little longer. I heard Astra was comparable.

Just curious what other people recommended because I was looking to buy more than 10 blades this time.

I am glad someone asked this because I am running out of Feather blades. I bought the 10 blade pack to try it out. Everyone said it was the sharpest razor and beginners should steer clear, and naturally I ignored their advice, but to be safe I only bought the one pack.

I really enjoyed them, but I am wondering if there is something just as sharp but a little less expensive. Also, one that might last a little longer. I heard Astra was comparable.

Just curious what other people recommended because I was looking to buy more than 10 blades this time.

I don't think Astra blades are comparable to Feathers for sharpness.

You might look at at Gillette Nacet or Gillette Permasharp. Both are up there in sharpness.

I was also intrigued by this post where a member felt the Treet Dura Sharp was comparable to Feathers for sharpness: Sharpest "Treet" Blade ?? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/sharpest-treet-blade.648339/post-12539753 . If you only use your blades 2-3 times, it might be worth trying out a tuck. Treet Dura Sharps are very affordable and easy to find, but I think they are carbon steel and opinions are that they don't last long.

I don't think Astra blades are comparable to Feathers for sharpness.

You might look at at Gillette Nacet or Gillette Permasharp. Both are up there in sharpness.

I was also intrigued by this post where a member felt the Treet Dura Sharp was comparable to Feathers for sharpness: Sharpest "Treet" Blade ?? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/sharpest-treet-blade.648339/post-12539753 . If you only use your blades 2-3 times, it might be worth trying out a tuck. Treet Dura Sharps are very affordable and easy to find, but I think they are carbon steel and opinions are that they don't last long.
Actually, I just reverted back to the blog that I thought suggested Astra were comparable, and I realize I was wrong. Thanks for correcting me.

I read the Treet's rust in an Amazon review. It shouldn't matter much for me since I dry my blade, but if I get lazy, not sure I would want to deal with that.

Is the Permasharp also the Permasharp 7 o'clock? Looks like these are slightly more expensive than the Nacets.

Actually, I just reverted back to the blog that I thought suggested Astra were comparable, and I realize I was wrong. Thanks for correcting me.

I read the Treet's rust in an Amazon review. It shouldn't matter much for me since I dry my blade, but if I get lazy, not sure I would want to deal with that.

Is the Permasharp also the Permasharp 7 o'clock? Looks like these are slightly more expensive than the Nacets.
Rust is a non-factor if you bin your razor blades after minimal time (< 1 week no matter the # of shaves imo). I used a Treet Falcon for about that time, drying after every shave. I still have it in my jar if I ever want to pull it out again to test longevity.

No, those are two different razor blades.

The brown package is (was?) made in Russia. The green Permasharps are Indian. You can get the Russian ones right from Amazon for $9.99 a 100 pack for now. Lots of people here love them as they are one of the sharpest available.

permasharp1.png
permasharp2.png

Probably and or hopefully stated here, two huge factors.
1. Best blade for the razor
2. Best blade for the that face/stubble
Blades are highly subjective...
Here is a little info and tests

For my gorilla stubble and sensitive skin:
Feather
Bic Chrome
Persona

I always suggest to have three in winners in the den that work best for you and best for that razor.

Interesting side note: My bother who is years younger that me can shave great with any (new) razor blade, baffles me.
He has tough skin and his stubble is not as thick and dense as mine,

So test test test, until you find a few winners....

Best
BFX

Probably and or hopefully stated here, two huge factors.
1. Best blade for the razor
2. Best blade for the that face/stubble
Blades are highly subjective...
Here is a little info and tests

For my gorilla stubble and sensitive skin:
Feather
Bic Chrome
Persona

I always suggest to have three in winners in the den that work best for you and best for that razor.

Interesting side note: My bother who is years younger that me can shave great with any (new) razor blade, baffles me.
He has tough skin and his stubble is not as thick and dense as mine,

So test test test, until you find a few winners....

Best
BFX
What he said and add... YMMW

3. Best soap lather for that blade.

Top Bottom