What's new

New found love for what I considered a mediocre razor...

From an Amazon.ca listing for the BR171:

Zamak razors can shave perfectly well, of course.

. Charles
By the way, BD176 isn’t “safer and better”. The Amazon seller is full of slushy brown substance and I don’t mean coffee. These are two very different razors even though 176 was designed as an “upgraded” 171. I own both. 176 is very mild and very close to my just-acquired 1960 Tech. The “unupgraded” 171 is more aggressive but also more efficient. I now prefer it over 171, as I can get BBS with less work.

I honestly don't understand the obsession with brass.

A well made Zamak razor will last a very long time...

There was a time, a dark time, not all that long ago. Muhle R89 razors were failing left and right when the zamak post on the cap corroded and failed. Some people had similar failures with other zamak razors. This is how the idea spread that zamak is basically bad news in razors and you can expect such razors to fall apart at any moment. Once the plating is breached, your razor will die a horrible death, etc.

Muhle actually gave people new caps for free on request because of this. They later improved the design by making the cap post out of brass.

Brass can be re-plated. Brass can be polished. Brass will endure. Classic Gillettes and other vintage razors like GEMs are made of brass. That is why people like brass.

By the way, BD176 isn’t “safer and better”. The Amazon seller is full of slushy brown substance and I don’t mean coffee. These are two very different razors even though 176 was designed as an “upgraded” 171. I own both. 176 is very mild and very close to my just-acquired 1960 Tech. The “unupgraded” 171 is more aggressive but also more efficient. I now prefer it over 171, as I can get BBS with less work.

I'd agree the 176 model is not an improvement. The seller should change the listing if the person who orders is going to get something different from what is shown. That is just 💩

There was a time, a dark time, not all that long ago. Muhle R89 razors were failing left and right when the zamak post on the cap corroded and failed. Some people had similar failures with other zamak razors. This is how the idea spread that zamak is basically bad news in razors and you can expect such razors to fall apart at any moment. Once the plating is breached, your razor will die a horrible death, etc.

Muhle actually gave people new caps for free on request because of this. They later improved the design by making the cap post out of brass.

Brass can be re-plated. Brass can be polished. Brass will endure. Classic Gillettes and other vintage razors like GEMs are made of brass. That is why people like brass.

I'd agree the 176 model is not an improvement. The seller should change the listing if the person who orders is going to get something different from what is shown. That is just 💩
But to me this means poor quality control, design or fabrication issues, not material problems. According to info I found, Gillette started using Zamac caps in 1962, yet there are millions of these razors still around, many with evidence of heavy use.

But to me this means poor quality control, design or fabrication issues, not material problems. According to info I found, Gillette started using Zamac caps in 1962, yet there are millions of these razors still around, many with evidence of heavy use.
The problem is, without intact plating, zamak really can corrode. Muhle making the top cap post as an integral part of the cap in one die casting turned out to be a bad idea because the threads are a wear area for the plating. Plus, the screw post is a thin section and under constant tension.

Making the cap from zamak, then inserting a separate brass screw post fixed the issue.

Gillette used a much better grade of Zamac. Their plating was better, too.

Gillette used a much better grade of Zamac. Their plating was better, too.
That's possible. Another alternative is that they produced cheap razors sold at loss leader prices, and if some customers' razors had their caps rotted and were thrown out after years of use, nobody cared and there was not enough of a controversy to leave a record. Especially as they didn't have the internet to whine on.

If Muhle fixed their rotting post issue before internet, very few people would know about it and 30 years later everyone would talk of their great lost art of razor making.

That's possible. Another alternative is that they produced cheap razors sold at loss leader prices, and if some customers' razors had their caps rotted and were thrown out after years of use, nobody cared and there was not enough of a controversy to leave a record. Especially as they didn't have the internet to whine on.

If Muhle fixed their rotting post issue before internet, very few people would know about it and 30 years later everyone would talk of their great lost art of razor making.
No, it's a known fact. There are tens of grades of Zamac, depending on the ratios of the base metals. More brittle Zamac is cheaper than quality Zamac. Gillette used a good grade that has held up well. Thick plating also helps.

Most of the Zamac rot problems that have been reported in modern cheap razors has been secondary to poor plating and the use of the worst, most brittle grades of Zamac.

No, it's a known fact. There are tens of grades of Zamac, depending on the ratios of the base metals. More brittle Zamac is cheaper than quality Zamac. Gillette used a good grade that has held up well. Thick plating also helps.

Most of the Zamac rot problems that have been reported in modern cheap razors has been secondary to poor plating and the use of the worst, most brittle grades of Zamac.
Ok, good to know.

All of my Zamac razors had held up well so hopefully the manufacturers improved their quality. My son is extremely unlikely to get into DE shaving anyway…

Ok, good to know.

All of my Zamac razors had held up well so hopefully the manufacturers improved their quality. My son is extremely unlikely to get into DE shaving anyway…

While I prefer chrome or nickel coated brass, I expect that my Zamac KCG and other razors will last for many, many years to come.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Definitely a mediocre razor. But if it works for you then shave on. Imagine the guys that were using SR’s when DE came out.

Top Bottom