What's new

Gillette Platinum - Inconsistencies?

This is not my first time writing about blade inconsistencies and I wanted to reach out to see if any of you have noticed this with Gillette Platinum.

I bought a 100 pack in April 2022 with date code on the tuck of 04/04/21 and they have been the best blades I've used ever. I since bought another 100 pack from the same place in Dec 2022 because of a coupon code. They are manufactured 19/09/21.

I took a tuck from the new stash an used 5 in about a month time frame and I was not getting good shaves with my Overlander. From head shaves to face shaves, I was getting tugging, weepers, and irritation burn. Went through all 5 blades - same result. I forgot I used a tuck from the new stash and when I realized it last week, I pulled out the old stash from 04/04/21 and I had the most perfect shave yesterday. I have not changed anything about my routine to cause this - same razor, handle, soap, shower, post shave, etc.

I am not sure if I am imagining it or what - looking for some input.

gillette_platinum_razor_blade_de_safety__92555.jpg

These are what I purchased from the same place (razor emporium) both times. Gillette Platinum Double Edge (DE) Razor Blades - https://www.razoremporium.com/gillette-platinum-double-edge-de-razor-blades/

Ah, that box is not the Swede. The Swede is solid blue with white text. Razor Emporium misrepresented that product to you.

The ones you have are for the Middle Eastern Market. I am not expert in them, but I recall there was a change in them at some point. Inked logo to etched to inked with some differences. You can read around on the forum for more info. I think they are referred to as the Dark Blue Platinums.

These are the "Swedes" for the European Market (I sold them in a Paris supermarket recently in fact):

Ah, that box is not the Swede. The Swede is solid blue with white text. Razor Emporium misrepresented that product to you.

The ones you have are for the Middle Eastern Market. I am not expert in them, but I recall there was a change in them at some point. Inked logo to etched to inked with some differences. You can read around on the forum for more info. I think they are referred to as the Dark Blue Platinums.

These are the "Swedes" for the European Market (I sold them in a Paris supermarket recently in fact):

*saw them in a Paris supermarket

Ok - after extensive testing - my old batch has junk blades in it too so my theory was junk. I've read a post from @Macduff and he said he had very inconsistent results as well. I don't know what the cause of it is but I did put a bunch of new blades under a microscope and this is what I saw. It doesn't look pretty.....

240226122812954.jpg
240226123647228.jpg

That blade edge looks awful. I never used the Platinums much in the past. I tested out both types of Platinums last year and from my notes these with the white background were fairly good but the all blue "swedes?" weren't that great for me. I've been stocking up on Russian blades and already ordered some like these above in case I ever want to try them again in the future. I hope I get a good batch.

Something I don't hear about very often is batch consistency. A lot of blades are fairly consistent like my GSB's with very little difference from date to date over the years. But other blades like my Astra SPs have varied quite a bit. Some of the Astras felt just as sharp as a Nacet but smoother and were amazing blades. But in other batches/dates they really lack in sharpness but still remain smooth. I haven't had a bad batch of Astras but the sharpness sure has been all over the place.

I've also had one bad batch of Nacets that were very rough feeling on my face. But most of my Nacets are amazing blades. I wouldn't be surprised if some people hate a certain blade because they got a bad batch.

Top Bottom