What's new

how long a blade lasts

Hi,
I am using a astra sp and wondered how many shaves i can get out of them before i have to change them? On top of the blade there is a 1 on one edge then a two on the other. If i flip the blade over there is a 3 and a 4. Does that mean i can flip the blade over and use it again? Or is that just for production?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Flipping the dulled blade over might get you another shave or two, yeah. But the difference will not be anything spectacular.

As for how long they last, that is a very individual thing. When you don't like the way it shaves anymore, replace it. It might be a week. It might be 3 weeks. It might be two shaves. Your razor, your face, your time and money. But I think it is most common to change the blade on a particular day of the week. DE blades are cheap enough that there is no real need to worry about keeping costs down. Up to you, tho.

I thing its depends on many factors, you beard growth, how much pull you are willing to accept, etc.

I think from the post I have read it is usually 3 to 7 shaves.

I usually use mine 3 times and toss it. I like a very close shave with little irritation. YMMV

Crom

I can get at most, 10 shaves from an Astra Superior.

The numbers, of course, indicate how you should align the blade with respect to the earth's magnetic field so the ferro magnetic particles in the honed steel can align themselves for maximum sharpness. These numbers are especially useful during the Maunder Minimum of the Sun Spot Cycle.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets

The numbers, of course, indicate how you should align the blade with respect to the earth's magnetic field so the ferro magnetic particles in the honed steel can align themselves for maximum sharpness. These numbers are especially useful during the Maunder Minimum of the Sun Spot Cycle.

If you keep your blades under a pyramid, you don't have to worry about all that.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I gave my dad a DE setup for Christmas, and the man is insane. Since December he has been through two or three blades. He claims they stay super-sharp, but I think he's just unwilling to spend the $0.50 to buy another?

I find that they last best for three or four shaves.

I gave my dad a DE setup for Christmas, and the man is insane. Since December he has been through two or three blades. He claims they stay super-sharp, but I think he's just unwilling to spend the $0.50 to buy another?

I find that they last best for three or four shaves.

How many years did he keep a cartridge?:huh:

I will check my solar alignment charts and my psychological chart as well.
thanks

It varies for me. Sometimes it's 5-6, and sometimes 2-3. Best advice is just shave with it until it's no longer comfortable, since there really is no specific answer due to variances in individuals as well as blades.

proxy.php

You could always try one of these blade pyramids. Be sure to use a compass so the alignment is correct.

:biggrin:

I get one sweet shave per blade. My second shave on a blade can be bad or good. If I have a few days growth I can get a BBS on a two shave old blade. I could/would never shave with a used blade on a short stubble day.

For the price of blades...I do one shave and then ultimately end up tossing the blade. I need/like them super sharp for shaving. I get the best results with new blades.

When I go past three shaves, it's sheer optimism. Four for me max. Maybe since it's shaving, it's "shear" optimism. What do I know? Right now I'm still into the Merkurs, but I'm thinking of trying the Gillette 7 O'Clock Platinums some more.
Jack

the 1 and 2 on one side of the blade mean you should shave yourself 12 times before flipping the blade over to 3 and 4. 34 more shaves is not unusual. When on the 35th shave after flipping over blade, you might want to start using some oil or cream on your face.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Usually three, sometimes four. Compared to cartridges, the damn things are free. I would try to get three or four hundred shaves out of a Fusion cartridge. Don't even worry about it, just celebrate. I'm in heaven.

Top Bottom