What's new

How many shaves do you use your blades typically?

To me, blades are too cheap to worry about stropping etc. Before I started my 132 blade test series, I was using a blade for 4 shaves and tossing. My average over 56 different blades is 4.3 shaves. I have become a believer in setting a threshold number of shaves and then just tossing the blades. I don't know what blades will end up in my rotation when I am done, except the Nacet, I've already bought 200 of those. Anyway, for the EMP 800 and GSB, after 6 I'd toss. For the Feather and Bolzano, 5 and toss, it's 4 for the Big Ben Super Stainless. The rest, 4 and toss for any blade I would call the "upper half" of my rankings.

Including shaving your head is a reasonable equivalent to 8-regular shaves.

Just like:

Seven. My usual routine is start with a new blade on Monday and toss the blade after Sundays shave. This works for me.

I have settled on using one blade a week, shaving daily. Simply out of convenience than any other reason.

To try and verify the validity of this for me, I have shaved with fifty different blades this year.

I think there was only one or two blades that didn't pass the test. Most of the rest were still good for another shave or two, maybe more?

I would have slightly less wear due to a pencil thin mustache and goatee? My facial hair might be slightly lighter than average? Don't really know.

Still, I would estimate that 2/3 of shavers would fall into this 5-7 day category, should they choose to do so

After many years of joining the One-Blade February challenge and learning from the hive mind of the Excalibur Club, I can get 30+ shaves off any blade. My favorite blades easily go 60-90 shaves without batting an eye. I'm currently over 300 shaves on my Personna blade that I started using last Feb 1st.

Factors that I believe are the most important to getting long blade life:
A sharp blade
A mild razor
Good technique
A super slick soap

That last one, to me, seems to be the most important. I've never had near 300 shaves before. My secret this time, is I've used Williams shave soap for every shave with this blade.

Having a thin beard or fine facial hair can also help, but I have neither, so that's not a factor for me.
Those of you who have gotten 20+ shaves on a single blade: what razor blades are you using? Do you bother with stropping? @Halfbeard @Guido75
My best blades are Personna and Feather. No stropping, no nothing. I personally believe that if you open up your razor for any reason you are introducing ways to mess with the edge or thegeometry of it.

5 shaves per blade. I change blade every Saturday night in preparation for my Sunday morning shave. I’m retired but I still enjoy the feel of a nice shave so I still get 5 a week.

Shave about every other day. most used blades have been Nacet and Perma-Sharp.

3 sometimes 4 shaves, then toss. Since many P&G/Gillette Russian made blades are no longer made in Russia, last month I picked up 300 Perma-Sharp blades (@ 10 cents each). That means I am set for about 6 years at one blade/week.

i only use three blades 90% times of the time
  • Gillette Nacet, stopped counting, usually when it starts to feel not right, averages at about 4-5 shaves
  • Lord big ben super stainless, one and done for me , i buy the 100 at $4.20 so its not that big of a deal, it certianly can go to more than that
  • Feather blades, no more than three, two shaves for most of the time.

5 shaves per blade. I change blade every Saturday night in preparation for my Sunday morning shave. I’m retired but I still enjoy the feel of a nice shave so I still get 5 a week.
Now that I’m in the 300+ shaves in 2024, my goal will be to continue to change my blade on Saturday evening in preparation for Sunday morning’s shave. However now I will hope to get 6, or maybe even 7, shaves per blade.

The number should be between 20 to 40. I try to get 14. This month iwant to aim for 30. Already at 9th with a Supermax Platinum blade.

$A year of shaves.jpg

Top Bottom