What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

CITIZENFOUR - Confirmed conservatives and liberals seem to be united in their disdain for Edward Snowden, but CITIZENFOUR takes a different tack: how everybody may be at risk when basic freedoms are sacrificed in the name of "national security." If you're already aware of the issue from reading magazines like Wired, you're ahead of the game. If you're not prepared, watch this documentary and prepared to be shocked. This is this year's front-runner for Best Feature Documentary.***1/2 of four

$B1OAn-5CcAAc2io.jpg-large.jpg

Kumare--filmmaker from NJ becomes a fake guru from India in the western US, develops a real following, and then agonizes over exit strategy.

I have very mixed feelings about this one.

I am not surprised he "got over" as a guru. He had the spiritual and cultural background, certainly the look to do it, was about as flexible as any human being I have ever seen for yoga poses, and two good-looking women to help make the sale. And as for the morality of it, he preached finding the true guru within, and did not mock his followers, take their money, or sexually exploit them, unlike many of those who make what would be generally thought of as more legit claims to being a guru.

I just finished watching The Old Man and the Sea. Spencer Tracy was a marvel in that.

However, it would be a total flop today, given the ten-second attention span of today's younger generations.

Two out-of-the-mainstream movies have been chopped off the top of my Netflix queue;

Calvary: A film from Irish writer/director John Michael McDonagh, starring Brendan Gleeson. I liked their first collaboration (The Guard), so I watched this one hoping it would be as good. It was “interesting”, the plot involves a priest (Gleeson) taking a confession and being told he will be murdered at the end of the week. The day-by-day build up has the priest dealing with the people of the remote small town and their multitude of sins, all weighing on him as the time of his threatened murder draws near. It had quite a bit of humor and plenty of clever dialogue, which is one of the things that I love about Irish film, but the principal characters were just so unlikeable and unredeeming the movie became rather bleak. Gleeson was great to watch, but the movie was a bit too dour for my tastes

The Zero Theorem: This is a Terry Gilliam film and you go in knowing you are going to see a visually striking movie…that is weird. Strong echoes of his movie “Brazil”, with an extra helping of satirical musings about pointless corporate existence OR it might be existential navel gazing. The main character, Qohen Leh, is a corporate drone who has lost all meaning in his life – except for his work. The religious metaphors are troweled on heavy; most of the movie happens in an abandoned church, “Management” stands in for God, Bob (Mgmt’s young son) is sent to help Qohen get over his fears and reconnect with the world and Quohen is tempted to stray from work by pizza and a sexy young woman (standing in for the Devil). The movie is confusing, bizarre, laden with cameos, and more than a little pointless – almost exactly what Terry Gilliam is known for churning out; but in my opinion, this one is tilted toward hardcore fans

I think I am going to select a couple of mainstream Hollywood movies next, just to cleanse my movie palate

Non-Stop with Liam Neeson and Julianne Moore. Proof, once again, that you can take a great cast and make an unwatchable movie if you have a lousy script. Painful --- so bad there are LOL moments where you cringe at the plot and dialogue.

JOHN WICK - A retired contract killer returns to the underground of professional murder after crossing paths with the Russian mob. Violent and dark - but also compulsively watchable.*** of four

$jupiter-ascending-690821l.jpg
Jupiter Ascending.
Not so good. A space opera, like Guardians of Galaxy, but Guardians is 100X better movie...

Last edited:
THE OFFICIAL STORY - A history teacher in the Argentinean upper class gets her own civics lesson when the learns the effects of a recent junta - and how her own family may have benefited from it. It helps to do your research before seeing the film; the political references are more pointed. Academy award winner for best foreign film. *** of four

Top Bottom