What's new

How Many Shaves to the bottom of a Shave Stick?

"Snow! This is pure snow, it's everywhere! Do you have any idea, the street value of this lawn!"
proxy.php

Shave one to come in the morning. Really excited to try this stick. And yes, I think I just froze the left half of my brain!:lol::lol:

From the sound of it, maybe those of us who picked rather high might be wanting to change.:tongue_sm

You could be right, but remember how long good ol' Dr. Arly hung on? When Father Time had his number he certainly rallied! Well I tell myself this since I have number 80!:blushing:

Looks like I'm next in line. My mailing address has been sent by PM to MrGuy. I'm looking forward to trying out Ray's brand of soap. After I've had my turn, I'm going to place my order, and I'm going for the "chill"! I think I will get the bowl rather than the stick. You guys have a great day!

Shave one down yesterday, I'm not sure how to rate it. This stick is definitely going to require a slight technique adjustment on my part. I'll have to review some of the earlier suggestions again before shave two, which is being put off until Monday. Scent wise, it's very mild and "fresh". It's another one of those scents that I'm on the fence about if I like or not. (If it was in my rotation, I'm sure I would have plenty of days when I would choose this scent.) There must be something in the ingredients I haven't used before, because I got a pretty intense burn before even starting my first pass. I've noticed though that I sometimes react this way to something new, but then never again. After the shave my face still felt a little hot, but no visible burn and plenty of moisture left in the skin. We'll see what shaves 2 and 3 bring.

Shave one down yesterday, I'm not sure how to rate it. This stick is definitely going to require a slight technique adjustment on my part. I'll have to review some of the earlier suggestions again before shave two, which is being put off until Monday. Scent wise, it's very mild and "fresh". It's another one of those scents that I'm on the fence about if I like or not. (If it was in my rotation, I'm sure I would have plenty of days when I would choose this scent.) There must be something in the ingredients I haven't used before, because I got a pretty intense burn before even starting my first pass. I've noticed though that I sometimes react this way to something new, but then never again. After the shave my face still felt a little hot, but no visible burn and plenty of moisture left in the skin. We'll see what shaves 2 and 3 bring.

:thumbup1:

I should add that none of the above should be considered a negative review, just my experience of a product I've never used before. I could tell HeeBee really wanted to produce a great lather, I just don't know how to do it... yet:001_smile

This past Saturday morning I heard a loud knock at my door. There, on the porch, was a youngster in cut-off blue jeans, a tie dyed shirt, flip flops and long hair. Imagine a present day hippie if you will.
"Dude!

Hey, I resemble that remark so I guess I'll let your pun on my soap slide......Just remember there Tex, Geronimo and Sitting Bull had long hair too!

:wink2:

Shave two was done today. I changed from my Rooney 3/1 to an old Vulfix pure badger that had lost a lot of hair. For what ever reason, I find that the Vulfix does slightly better with sticks than the Rooney, but wow, there was a dramatic difference between today and my first shave! The lather was nice and thick, and only at the very end of my third pass did the lather start to give up and thin out. I can't quite get a grip on how much product is being used. As mentioned before, it goes on very creamy. My face looks like I used a lot, but I didn't notice much gone from the stick. I'm really interested to see how long this little guy lasts.
The burning experienced in shave one... sadly returned:sad: It's not really bad, but more than I care to have. Oddly, about 15-20 minutes after the shave all traces of burning sensation were gone and again my skin feels very moisturized and smooth. My skin never really looked irritated, but, as I said, it's more burn than I would consider acceptable. I was hoping that my turn in the pass would lead to buying a puck or two, but I don't think I can do it. Oh well, I can still pick up one of those sweet wooden bowls:biggrin1:
I'm going to have to think about if I want to attempt a third shave, or call my turn done. I would like that the third attempt would lead to a perfect burn free shave, allowing me to buy a puck of my own, but I don't think it will happen, and HeeBee is freaking out a little with our current weather pattern. "This is the second snow storm since I got here, man. This will not abide! I mean, it's April, man. I don't like to complain, but all this snow is really harshing my mellow." So, while I decide what to do next, HeeBee relaxes with an old friend.
proxy.php

Andy, thoughtful and informative update as usual. Heebee's got to get with the program though. "My face looks like I used a lot, but I didn't notice much gone from the stick. I'm really interested to see how long this little guy lasts." Uh, uh! He's got about 30 shaves left in him and thats it. Kaput.

It sure is good having a traveling shave stick to read about again. Needless to say, I look forward to my turn with HeeBee and hope he survives the cold.

Good to see you around, my friend. I hope you'll be having more time to spare in the coming weeks

Thanks Paul,

I'm presenting a paper at an academic conference in Memphis this weekend and then my traveling will be done for a while. I look forward to hanging around more!

So, like...

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1353352&postcount=1451
146 shaves for 100g of tabac, triple milled

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1877213&postcount=2444
79 shaves for 50g of dr harris, triple milled

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1008148&postcount=887
30 - 40 for 2oz (56g) of QED, a melt & pour

Looks like 2/3g for triple milled and 1.5g for melt & pour.

So, I took 0.667g of AoS unscented and put my brush to it in a large bowl. It gave me 5 very full passes plus a little left over for touch up. Gonna keep trying to see if this works out, and give face lathering a try, too.

I'm kinda sorta thinkin' that the HBGB is or might be coming my way maybe? I'm also kinda thinkin' that texascattlerancher's 4 shaves haven't been posted on Paul's count tab yet. But anyway, I'm ready to shave with it 3 days in a row, post my results and some photos, right after GB has flown out the door and on his way to our friend Stephen!

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of info. HeeBee will be on his way Monday morning to Brothers. My count will remain at 2. Bummer, man:sad:

Top Bottom