What's new

Razor wars - NEW Raised Flat Bottom versus Matador Deluxe

A second comparison shave off. This time between the NEW Raised Flat Bottom and the Matador Deluxe - open comb versus safety bar.

NEW Raised Flat Bottom

This razor had been on my list for some time since getting a number of other NEWs and I essentially wanted to complete my range (I know there are many more, but I focused on English ones). It is an open comb obviously (as I do not have the Hybrid). Mine is actually made for the French market and I recently discovered @BradWorld has the same one which helped me identify mine a little better as I thought it was pieced together. Fortunately the price was fair, because this is - for me - one (too) mild shaver. It gives great shaves and DFS+ is easily accomplished with a maximum amount of comfort, but I generally use more effective / aggressive razors. I think the #44 is the closest comparison I could find on mr razors website. Mine has a wrong handle and smaller blade bars, but other than that it is similar, so this razor comes in at 56.5 grams originally and is 82mm in length. I use mine with an aftermarket handle so that changes my specifications slightly. The angle is smaller in my experience and therefore requires more attention from me than usual.

Matador Deluxe

The enigmatic razor of the Nordics together with the Swing. Mainly found in the Nordics as well and harder to come by. There is not much known about them, but I recently found a great history video which I posted in @blethenstrom 's journal page. The Matador comes in different varietes (mainly the Deluxe and the Razette) and both as three piece and two piece types. Mine is a three-piece one. I only have the head, but I have fitted it with my ball-end Tech handle (the brass one) and it matches perfectly. The Matador is an extremely effective razor without ever being aggressive. I seriously think that with a fresh or sharp blade I could get to R41 levels of smoothness with a Tech or R89 feel during the shave. It is very easy to use and has great audio feedback which assists in getting the angle right - although that is rather easy to find in itself as well. The Matador cap covers the blade fully and therefore there is absolutely zero risk of getting nicked sideways.

Summary of results

DateRazorBladeQualityComfortEffectiveness
29.10.2023NEW RFBPolSilver (17)10107
30.10.2023NEW RFBFeather (1)9108
31.10.2023NEW RFBFeather (2)9108
01.11.2023MatadorPolSilver (18)10108.75
02.11.2023MatadorPolSilver (19)10108.75
03.11.2023MatadorPolSilver (20)10108.75
SummaryNEW RFB
SummaryMatador

Notes

The Matador easily knocks the NEW RFB out of the park. The RFB improves with a sharper blade and so I need to experiment more with other sharper blades to verify. The Matador on the other hand can use a variety of blades and still deliver great shaves. I have used the Matador during my summer holiday for a week straight and only had great shaves. The RFB tends to feel slightly smoother although I had the impression there was more blade feel when using a Feather. The Matador is just super easy to use, mostly autopilot I would even dare say - but the same actually goes for the RFB, mostly an autopilot razor.

Both razors are a great addition to anyones collection and I would give a nodd to the Matador if having to make a choice rather than the B7B answer (which it turned out to be in my own case). I think the RFB can be made to perform better with other blades. So need to check that out.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
1699117443942.png

That’s easily fixed @nemo !

I will make sure to include pictures in future comparisons!
Aaaah, there's that bergamot shaving soap you were raving about...... Have to get back to that shop I suppose..

Aaaah, there's that bergamot shaving soap you were raving about...... Have to get back to that shop I suppose..
If you get the chance yes! Great great soap and the mug is pretty cool too! Although my Dutchy is no longer in one of those mugs.

I am using Bergamot this month and if it makes the end of the month it should have well over 100 shaves on the 75g puck.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had a lovely #44 set that I have replated by Chris @Back Roads Gold.... I never did use it as I sold it to help fund my Wolfman bronze 0.95.

It's interesting that it's a mild razor. I thought it was close to the #77 Flat Bottom Tech I also sold... but I used that one a few times before I had Chris replate it for me. It was early on during my first few months of B&B... in fact, the Flat Bottom Tech was the first DE razor I ever used. It was OK... but I had no idea what I was doing back them with DE razors, coming from the ESC/Alpha AC Claymore Evolution.... I wonder how I'd find a Flat Bottom Tech now that I'm a bit more familiar with DE shaving.

Top Bottom