What's new

Razor wars - Mühle Rocca versus Razorock Game Changer .84OC

A new comparison shave sequence between two fabulous razors in my collection.

Mühle Rocca R94

The R94 is the all stainless version of the Rocca and the cap indicates this is the improved version of the Rocca (see other threads for comparisons between first and subsequent editions). It is well balanced, weighing about 93g and is 105mm tall. I was surprised by the heft of the handle. It is broader than I imagined. Total weight is a non-issue when shaving for me. It is very nimble and responds quite well to directions. I have tried multiple blades with the Rocca and the results were basically similar attesting the quality of this razor. It is almost autopilot, but compared to the R89 for example a little more focus is required. In my mind suitable for beginners and veterans alike. This is not a razor to be afraid of and might actually be a great alternative to the R41 (but there is a price jump obviously when buying the Rocca) if that is too daunting or too harsh. The Rocca is smooth and comfortable. And the Rocca is a safety bar razor that is serious competition for open comb razors (not that they are more effective by definition by the way). I believe the current version of the Rocca is CNC-ed as opposed to MIM-ed like in the beginning, but I could be wrong of course. Mühle doesn’t report or disclose a lot about the Rocca in terms of specifications, but I have read that the blade gap is somewhere around .8mm. I didn’t find anything on blade exposure, but it’s a least positive.

Razorock Game Changer .84OC

This razor came to me earlier this year with both the SB and OC baseplate. And I really like it. A lot. It is an amazing razor. I have tried it with both the Barberpole and Bulldog handle and found the Bulldog handle is a better fit for this razor. Head weight of the Game Changer is about 26 grams according to Italian Barber. The Bulldog handle weighs about 80 grams and is 90mm in length. So techically speaking the Game Changer is heavier than the Rocca, but not by much and in terms of length they are quire comparable as well. The Game Changer is CNC stainless steel. I find the OC baseplate just a little smoother than the SB baseplate, but I alternate between them quite often so the difference is almost negligible. The blade gap is .84mm obviously and Italian Barber says the exposure is positive without specifying how positive.

All in all in my view they are very similar.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I find the OC baseplate just a little smoother than the SB baseplate, but I alternate between them quite often so the difference is almost negligible.
(...)
All in all in my view they are very similar.

Really? :eek2:
OC and SB of the Game Changer are quite similar, or similar to the Rocca?

Neither doesn't compute for me, so I am thoroughly confused!

I already had a really stressful morning, and then this! :w00t::117:

I bought a Rocca about 4-5 months ago during Black Friday. For the past 2 months, it has been in my regular rotation with the R41 GS. I would say that I can easily achieve the same results and deep BBs with both razors, but with the Rocca it happens more easily, with less of an uncomfortable feeling on the skin.
About ten days ago, I tried the Game Changer .84 SB and if I had to compare them to the Rocca, I definitely like the Muhle better because it's smoother and more efficient.
What's more, I bought a Blackbird last week and have already had two shaves with it. The Bird is also a great razor, but the Rocca is just as efficient and even smoother. Adding the significantly lower price, (I bought the Rocca for 54€ new from the official representative of the brand for my country) I think this is one of the best shavers.

Ok, so the shave results are in as of today.

Summary of results

DateRazorBladeQualityComfortEffectiveness
11.03.2024Mühle RoccaRacer (1)1098.5
12.03.2024Razorock Game ChangerRacer (2)1098.5
Mühle RoccaRacer (3)1098.75
14.03.2024Razorock Game ChangerRacer (4)1098.5

Average Rocca

Average Game Changer

Notes

These razors are very similar to me (so GC to Rocca - but as I also mentioned OC and SB baseplates are not that different to me either with the OC feeling smoother than the SB | @Iridian ). The Rocca wins in the comfort department and I agree with @horizon that the Rocca can easily run with even higher end razors such as the Blackbird. In fact when I compare the Rocca to the Blackbird (using current knowledge about used blades - and I haven't used a Feather yet in any of these) I would say the Blackbird is a BST contender in my collection when push comes to shove. The Rocca just ticks a lot of boxes if not all of them.

This is anything but a knock on the Game Changer, because it has equal ability to deliver excellent shaves and definitely pushes above its price point. The advantage of the Game Changer is the variety of baseplates available making this essentially an adjustable razor system similar to the Green Cult and Karve Christopher Bradley. Game Changers tend to be more expensive here in Europe and in the same range as the Rocca (excluding sale discounts).

You will have great shaves from both of them and that's why I really like being able to alternate between them. I have said it many times before, but if I knew what I know now I would have jumped from my KCG to a Rocca and be happy for the rest of my life. I took a different course and am very happy with my journey and the fun so far, but economically speaking the Rocca is king. And this was using a middle of the road blade like the Lord Racer. Other blades will surely amp the experience.

I am sure @Iridian is now confused at a higher level :001_smile , but there you have it.

In my previous post, I neglected to mention that despite the extremely smooth feel on the skin, I sometimes get bites from the Rocca for no apparent reason. By comparison, when shaving with the much more aggressive R41 GS, there are no bites or cries. Maybe I need to gain more experience with the Rocca, or it's just part of the specs of this shaver...

In my previous post, I neglected to mention that despite the extremely smooth feel on the skin, I sometimes get bites from the Rocca for no apparent reason. By comparison, when shaving with the much more aggressive R41 GS, there are no bites or cries. Maybe I need to gain more experience with the Rocca, or it's just part of the specs of this shaver...
Fully understand and agree. It is almost autopilot - but not 100%.

Have both the Rocca R94 and Game changer .84 OC.

I don't find any similarities between the razors compared.
In my book the Rocca is the much better razor. I am sorry I bought the 0.84 OC. Thankfully I bought recenty a Game changer 1.05 plate to substitute that open comb. Better, but still not completely satisfied. I will never spend a cent on any Game changer. :c1:

Have both the Rocca R94 and Game changer .84 OC.

I don't find any similarities between the razors compared.
In my book the Rocca is the much better razor. I am sorry I bought the 0.84 OC. Thankfully I bought recenty a Game changer 1.05 plate to substitute that open comb. Better, but still not completely satisfied.
.84 Jaws and 1.05. I agree. Rocca is the better shave. But a 1.05 Jaws would open my wallet.

.84 Jaws and 1.05. I agree. Rocca is the better shave. But a 1.05 Jaws would open my wallet.
I am curious Jim, do you have experience with the regular OC versus Jaws? And what’s the difference that makes the difference (I know they look different obviously)?

Thanks,

Guido

I find these detailed showdowns really useful. I have periodically mused over the gamechanger but I am now glad that I never pulled the trigger. The Rocca and me never quite clicked so I suspect it would be much the same with the gamechanger.

Blade feel. I gave a few as gifts when they came out. Efficiency wise, Jaws wants to be a 2 pass razor. The OC and 84 will never be better than a 3 pass razor.
The Rocca is a 2 pass razor.

Now when you remove the 84's guard you get a whole new animal.
Thanks! Interesting. I use the Rocca for 3 passes. Two passes doesn’t quite cut it :wink2: .

Now when you remove the 84's guard you get a whole new animal.
That sounds like a blade on a stick? So Dremel the safety bar away is that what you meant?

Cheers,

Guido

I find these detailed showdowns really useful. I have periodically mused over the gamechanger but I am now glad that I never pulled the trigger. The Rocca and me never quite clicked so I suspect it would be much the same with the gamechanger.
You’re welcome and in defence of the Game Changer - there is a variety of baseplates to accommodate for milder shaves. I don’t have another baseplate, but it would be interesting to see how the arocca would compare to say the .68 version.

Cheers,

Guido

I have the Rocca R95 and the GameChanger .84 SB. I use both of them regularly, and my experience is that the Rocca is smoother and less likely to bite. Moreover, I really like the Rocca handle being hollow, nicely girthy, yet fairly light in weight. For me, it has great feel and balance during the shave.

With the GameChanger, I have to be more mindful (i.e. cautious) -- yet really good shaves only happen about half the time with it, instead of every time. I am tempted to buy the new .76 baseplate which might suit me better. I do have the GameChanger .68 plate, but it is just too mild for me and leaves stubble no matter how much I buff and scrape.

So if I had to choose one over the other, my Rocca would get the nod.

Top Bottom