What's new

Razor wars - Mühle Rocca R94 versus Mühle R89 RG

Personally like the Rocca a lot better. Then again, haven't shaved wit the R89 in a while so maybe I should give it another try. Its been in a drawer for a couple years now.
Would be tempted by a slightly more efficient Stainless version of the R89 though.
I have the clone made by Razorock called the Mission. I put a single shim with it and got a shave close in performance to my 2013 R41. Could feel the blade similarly, but without the drama. Maybe that would help your razor's efficiency too! I think my Gillette Heritage head is identical to the R89's, I believe it is also produced by Muhle for Gillette.

Shaving with the Rocca is amazing. To me it provides R41-type results, but with the mildness of the R89/KCG type of razors... (On the contrary, the Rocca provides a close and safe shave in my opinion. Almost autopilot, but compared to the R89 a little more focus is required.

I am on the same page. I have the Gillette Heritage, the KCG, the 34c and the DE89.

I find the R94 gives almost a close shave as the R41 head I have. But I actually find it a little bit easier to use than the '89 heads, more on autopilot, it is easier not to get nicks with the Rocca.

Shaving with the R41, not only gives a perfect BBS, but for a very long time, all day long, I have no stubble. Compared to R89, after 4-5 hours I can feel the new stubble all over my face.

The R41 does give me the maximum close shave. But the R94 is very close behind and shaving with it has a smoother feel. Less blade feel.

After some time, I agree with you. The 34c is the easiest to shave with but the hair comes in way to quickly.

The '89 heads do give a good shave and are probably better suited to the average shaver than the R41. Still the '89 type heads do not continue to provide the same closeness during the day as the R41 or the Rocca R94.

I discovered a three piece Parker razor that has a '89 type head. Only it shaves that little bit closer that I prefer. Just enough that it lasts me twelve hours. Not quite like the R41 or R94, but close enough to be workable, noticeably more so than the other '89 type heads.

I think my Gillette Heritage head is identical to the R89's, I believe it is also produced by Muhle for Gillette.

I believe that is the case. The handle (I think) was made in the US. As I understand, the entire KCG is made in China. Though still the same basic '89 head design.

I can't tell any difference between the KCG head and the EJ DE89.

I believe that is the case. The handle (I think) was made in the US. As I understand, the entire KCG is made in China. Though still the same basic '89 head design.

The KCG is the King C. Gillette, which is slightly different than the Heritage I have. The KCG I had, had a different designed head from the Heritage, which appears to be the same as the Muhle R89. Just my observations of the examples I have owned to date. KCG may be using a different head design today vs the originals, when they first came out.

The KCG is the King C. Gillette, which is slightly different than the Heritage I have. The KCG I had, had a different designed head from the Heritage, which appears to be the same as the Muhle R89. Just my observations of the examples I have owned to date. KCG may be using a different head design today vs the originals, when they first came out.
The Gillette Heritage head was made by Mühle Germany and the handle was made by Gillette USA. The KCG was originally made in Germany for the head (most likely Merkur or Dovo) and the handle was sourced from China. Lately however the box only states the razor is made in China assuming the head is now also made there.

KCG may be using a different head design today vs the originals, when they first came out.

They look the same to me.

The KCG I had, had a different designed head from the Heritage

They are different heads, though they are basically the same on a functional note.

The underside of the bottom plate has a different design but the top side of the bottom plate seems to be the same. They shave the same.

I was surprised by the heft of the handle. It is broad.

Just a quick comment on the handle. Even though it is long and with a fairly thick diameter. It is not as heavy as it looks like it would be.

I don't have a scale but it feels lighter than the heavy handle on the KCG razor.

Top Bottom