What's new

34c should I keep trying?

Doubt it. You may just be barely scraping part of the blade and then mostly running the safety bar over the hairs rather than cutting them. Sorta like a bad paint scraper. That's not going to work well.

Sometimes a few gentle facial contortions and simply varying the angle should help. Again this is a technique issue, most likely.

In the 15+ years I have been doing this, I've never had to use a shim or "open the head" to make a bigger blade gap on any normal razor to get a good shave. I simply did the best I could when starting and got better at using a DE over time.

Interesting. You make me want to keep trying with the milder razors.

Find what works for you.

I use mostly Gillette adjustables, they work with almost any blade with some setting or another, and I like the weight. You can take your own path, but with a very mild razor without much or any blade exposure and a face that works best with a more aggressive razor, you may want to try something with more "bite".

I recommend haunting the auction site and look for poorly described Slims or Fatboys, which can be had for little money, or 1950's Superspeeds since they aren't "collector's items" and don't cost much. The Superspeeds have more blade exposure and are very nice razors. You don't need a "mint" condition one, so long as the doors close and hold the blade properly and it's not bent it will work fine. $15 will often get you one, less if you find a lot with a couple in it.

Back in the day, there were not many options other then EJ89/Muhle R89, Merkur 34C etc. They are in essence very mild razors.
Now a day, I would argue that their design and material used is obsolete.
You can get far better razors - material and shave quality wise.
Aggressive razors have always been available since I started, whether vintage or new. Bitd on here people would brag about using them all the time. The only real difference now is the proliferation of stainless and titanium razors from one hundred different brands.

I wonder if some of these folks would be better off just using a shavette type razor or moving to straights.

As far as the obsolete thing goes, that's pretty ironic given the nature of this forum. Perhaps we should all move back to multiple blade carts and electric razors.

Aggressive razors have always been available since I started, whether vintage or new. Bitd on here people would brag about using them all the time. The only real difference now is the proliferation of stainless and titanium razors from one hundred different brands.

I wonder if some of these folks would be better off just using a shavette type razor or moving to straights.

As far as the obsolete thing goes, that's pretty ironic given the nature of this forum. Perhaps we should all move back to multiple blade carts and electric razors.
You are right, the point I was making was that I see no reason anymore to buy any of the above mentioned, considering all the better razors available today - some of them for even less money.
The design have been improved by other companies/makers.
I noticed over the years that a lot of people give up on DE shaving because their choice of first razor.
Most of the time they start with something that is way too mild, because they get an advice to start with something newbie friendly.

I wondered that too. Maybe you're not supposed to shave after going to Burger King.
Nah, the grease from their Whoppers makes an excellent preshave - just spread it outwards from your lips across your face.

Oh and then there's the BKxTOBS natural mayo shave cream...

TOBS.jpg

I noticed over the years that a lot of people give up on DE shaving because their choice of first razor.

Unless someone bought something complete wacky and barely usable, I never noticed that. I have noticed a lot of people give up because they are unwilling to put in the time to learn how to use a DE properly.

On other sites I see people attempt to "wing it" with a DE all the time (whether mild or aggressive) and then wonder why they are cutting themselves, getting razorburn, and not getting a good shave.

A lot of the time it's the same thing I have seen for years, which is people expecting a DE to work like a cart razor. All the YouTube shaving channels are not helping either since I see horrible technique on a lot of them, even from people that claim to have been DE shaving for a long time.

Alright, so I am relatively new to DE razors and keep reading that the reason I find the 34c frustrating is because of technique (or lack thereof). The other night I completed 3 passes with the 34c and was so unhappy with the shave that I pulled out my Muhle Rocca and completed a 4th pass. The Rocca efficiently cleaned up the terrible shave I had with my 34c.

Now, I think the consensus on the forum for is to keep practicing technique and that I should be able to get an "irritation free BBS" with the 34c. Color me skeptical! 🫤 I'm just having a hard time believing that the 34c can deliver a nice shave for me, no matter how good my technique gets. I'm also struggling to understand why I should keep practicing with the 34c when I can already get great shaves from my Rocca with far less effort. Is there a benefit to using mild razors that I am not experiencing? I feel like the 34c gives me more irritation than the Rocca because I have to make so many passes and do too much "clean up" to achieve an acceptable shave. What am I missing? Should I just ditch the 34c or do I keep at it (and why)?

Edit: I should mention I pair the the 34c with a feather blade.
There is no such consensus. The thing is the current 34C is milder than the one 10-12 years ago. @Goblin 's observation.
So no consensus. The older 34C owners will tell you you should get BBS, because their 34C razors are the more aggressive ones than yours. It is as simple as that. Manufacturers change the razors, most of the time making them milder with time.

So, the answer to the question you asked in the title is: No!
You should use whatever razor gives you BBS. Rocca or other ones.

Alright, so I am relatively new to DE razors and keep reading that the reason I find the 34c frustrating is because of technique (or lack thereof). The other night I completed 3 passes with the 34c and was so unhappy with the shave that I pulled out my Muhle Rocca and completed a 4th pass. The Rocca efficiently cleaned up the terrible shave I had with my 34c.

Now, I think the consensus on the forum for is to keep practicing technique and that I should be able to get an "irritation free BBS" with the 34c. Color me skeptical! 🫤 I'm just having a hard time believing that the 34c can deliver a nice shave for me, no matter how good my technique gets. I'm also struggling to understand why I should keep practicing with the 34c when I can already get great shaves from my Rocca with far less effort. Is there a benefit to using mild razors that I am not experiencing? I feel like the 34c gives me more irritation than the Rocca because I have to make so many passes and do too much "clean up" to achieve an acceptable shave. What am I missing? Should I just ditch the 34c or do I keep at it (and why)?

I

Dump it. If a razor is a good fit, it usually won’t take this long to figure out, especially for a razor recommended for beginners (though I don’t know why this one is so recommended as a beginner razor). I bought the hype (literally) and tried the 34C. Multiple shaves and blades later and I just couldn’t get a good shave without weepers.

In fact, my Gillette C King is superior to the 34C (and cheaper). I recently purchased a Rockwell 6S and it is my favorite thus far. You could get the 6C which is every bit as good but made of a different material and thus far less expensive.

I have a Rex Konsul on the way and I hope that’s even better than the 6S.

Anyway, no, you aren’t crazy for not being impressed with the 34C. If you haven’t tried different blades, consider doing so. The Feather blade is too harsh for me and it may be too harsh for you. Or, just dump the razor like I did and move on to another one. I’ve learned that majority opinion, as it relates to shaving, quite often does not ring true for me.

Consider it a hobby so you don’t feel guilty about your purchases.

I started 2 months ago with a 34C, as that was the most recommended beginner razor. I've gotten decent shaves, worked on technique, but kept thinking that I should be getting a closer shave without having to do so many touch ups. Tried many different blades too. While a number of members are always stressing "work on your technique" or "I can get a BBS shave in 2 passes with any razor", I find that to be too hard to believe that it can be the case for everyone. If that was the case, then people wouldn't be touting how they prefer one over the other or why there is so much disparity over what blades are the best/worst.

Everyone has different face shapes, whiskers, skin types. What works for one won't necessarily work for another.

I just got a Progress, an adjustable, as I wasn't sure what blade gap would work and didn't want to have to mess with changing plates, particularly mid-shave if required, and had my first shave with it this morning. Set it to 4 as 3 is equivalent to a 34C blade gap. It cleared almost everything in 2 passes with a very light 3rd pass required. No additional touch ups. BBS. I doubt that my technique miraculously improved overnight. So, while yes, you need to know how to wield the tool, you also need the right tool for the job.

If your 34C isn't cutting it, get something else.

This morning I shaved half of my face with a DE89 and the other half with the Merkur 34c. RK blade in each, regular 3 pass shave. I know that the DE89 is considered the milder of the 2 razors, but for me the DE89 not only gave me a more comfortable shave, but also a closer shave. I still could not clean up the most difficult part of my lower neck without loosening up the Razor a bit to increase blade gap. But all-around, the shave I got with the DE89 was noticeably better than with the 34c. I can see continuing to get more out of the DE89 with practice, but don't see it with the 34c...disappointing.

I think I will do my next few shaves with the DE89 or Rocca and retire the 34c for a while. If when I come back to the 34c I still feel the same, then I'll likely get rid of it. I'm not much into collecting things and don't need 2 razors in the same class. I'd like to get my 5 razor collection down to a 3 razor rotation. I really wanted the 34c to be part of that rotation--its a cool razor--but I just isn't working well for me.

So far my definitive "keepers" are:
1. Muhle Rocca
2. EJ DE89 knurled

My undecideds:
1. RazoRock Game Changer 84p
2. Feather AS-D2

Not making the cut:
1. Merkur 34c

The only other Razor I've thought to acquire would be an adjustable - probably the Progress, but maybe the Rex Ambassador, or a vintage Fatboy. But I'm worried that owning an adjustable will cause me to shelf the other razors and I enjoy having a rotation and differed razors to match my mood. I know many here recommend the 6C/6S, or buying more baseplates for the Game Changer, but that is just not fun to me. I'd rather have a few distinct razors to rotate over changing plates. I'd buy a real adjustable before I'd use a razor with multiple plates.

Last edited:
This morning I shaved half of my face with a DE89 and the other half with the Merkur 34c. RK blade in each, regular 3 pass shave. I know that the DE89 is considered the milder of the 2 razors, but for me the DE89 not only gave me a more comfortable shave, but also a closer shave. I still could not clean up the most difficult part of my lower neck without loosening up the Razor a bit to increase blade gap. But all-around, the shave I got with the DE89 was noticeably better than with the 34c. I can see continuing to get more out of the DE89 with practice, but don't see it with the 34c...disappointing.

I think I will do my next few shaves with the DE89 or Rocca and retire the 34c for a while. If when I come back to the 34c I still feel the same, then I'll likely get rid of it. I'm not much into collecting things and don't need 2 razors in the same class. I'd like to get my 5 razor collection down to a 3 razor rotation. I really wanted the 34c to be part of that rotation--its a cool razor--but I just isn't working well for me.

So far my definitive "keepers" are:
1. Muhle Rocca
2. EJ DE89 knurled

My undecideds:
1. RazoRock Game Changer 84p
2. Feather AS-D2

Not making the cut:
1. Merkur 34c

The only other Razor I've thought to acquire would be an adjustable - probably the Progress, but maybe the Rex Ambassador, or a vintage Fatboy. But I'm worried that owning an adjustable will cause me to shelf the other razors and I enjoy having a rotation and differed razors to match my mood. I know many here recommend the 6C/6S, or buying more baseplates for the Game Changer, but that is just not fun to me. I'd rather have a few distinct razors to rotate over changing plates. I'd buy a real adjustable before I'd use a razor with multiple plates.
A big vote for getting a Progress. I’m not one to change the settings during the shave, as many here like to do, but the ability to fix a setting to the blade that you are using is gold! Also it looks great and is an efficient shaver. Other than that you should add one OC for varieties sake and to tackle multi day stubble.

DFD2EEB2-7BB2-434D-8E60-D2F0D8B1C1FA.jpeg

The only other Razor I've thought to acquire would be an adjustable - probably the Progress, but maybe the Rex Ambassador, or a vintage Fatboy. But I'm worried that owning an adjustable will cause me to shelf the other razors and I enjoy having a rotation and differed razors to match my mood.
Merkur apparently let their patents expire, so there are copies of the Merkur Futur and Progress. If you are considering a Progress, be aware that the Parker Variant is nearly identical to the Progress with a better knurled grip. I only have experience with the Progress, and love it dearly, and this is the first time I recommend the Parker Variant. Just wanted you to make an informed choice.

I have owned a Rex Ambassador. It is an excellent razor and would never discourage anyone from trying it. I only sold it because it didn't agree with me. It is based on the Gibbs adjustable. I tried the Heritage Gibbs replica too. The Gibbs replicas just don't work as well for me.

The Rockwell is a wonderful razor too. If you want to experience a butter smooth shave, the Rockwell is a winner.

My sons are not hobbyists, but they have benefitted from my razor explorations. One son has settled on the Progress, another the Rockwell.

What is the answer for you? Try 'em all in your own timing and see what works best for you. Purchase from BST and you can always resell what does not work for you. Or have a big rotation!

34C is a great razor and it was my first razor, I used so many different blades in this razor and most of them are horrible. Blades that worked for me are the Astra SP, Permasharps, Feathers, Wizamet Super Iridium. Other blades like Derby Extra, Dorco are horrible they just don't work for me. If you're still a beginner just stick to what works for you till you get more experience, once you get more experience you can try to use a different blade, soap/cream, razor.

I can shave with any razor and blade and get a full BBS even if the blade isn't "sharp" enough but the most important thing I learned is if I shave every 2-3 days I need a mild razor and it will be a rough shave. If I shave after 4 days it's going to be the PERFECT shave, it doesn't matter if I use a mild or aggressive razor I prefer an aggressive razor with a Feather blade.

Maybe you need to wait a couple days before you shave again. Like the others have said, keep the the 34C HD. When I got my Fatip Open Comb piccolo razor I didn't like it, it just felt so weird shaving with it. Six months later and the Fatip became my favorite razor.

After I joined in 2009, I learned that a son-in-law had been wet-shaving for a couple years with a 34C and Feather blade. It's still his favorite combination. He's not a member of this forum, which is why he's able to say wet-shaving saves him money. My favorite DE for years, when I shaved every other day, was a 34G, but I could never do Feather blades. My favorite blades in the DE were IP Reds and Astra SP. Now well into retirement, post-covid and after a move, I only shave about every 10 days. I now use a slightly more aggressive DE, GC76, and Gillette (Swede) blade. I still can't do Feather blades.

Top Bottom