What's new

Alright, now I've thoroughly confused myself...

The Rocca is a great choice. That’s the razor I was going to recommend you stick with for a while. Almost as efficient as the R41 but easier on the skin.

I bet you would love the Blackbird if you are ever in the market for a new razor. I have, or have had. all the razors you mention. Like the R41, really like the Rocca, love the Blackbird. Never cared much for the GC or 34C.

Enjoy your shaves.

I have been having too much fun shaving with multiple razors. I have been DE shaving for only 1-2 months and started out with the 34c. Next I acquired a GC .84p, then the Muhle Rocca, and finally a R41. The problem is that I have become addicted to comparing how these razors perform vs one another...to the point that I used all 4 for my last two shaves! I'm using 2 of them on 1 side of the face and the other 2 on the other side of my face! :eek2:😂:facep:

I think I need to slow down a bit and stick to 1 razor for a while until I can get an irritation-free, clean, shave. The problem is that I like all 4 razors and don't know which to pick! When I have irritation, it is usually isolated to my neck and happens after 3+ passes (I haven't done more than 4 passes). I feel like the only razor that requires 4 passes for me is the 34c. The 34c just doesn't seem to clean up all my tough spots very easily - neck, chin, mustache.

The 41 I actually quite like, but it doesn't seem to cut my mustache as well as the Rocca. I think this is because I can go against the grain on my mustache with the Rocca, but find it too "tuggy" and uncomfortable to do so with the 41. I can clean up my stache nicely with the GC .84p too.

The GC .84p is great, but doesn't seem to do anything better than the Rocca. I kind of like the Rocca better, but don't know why.

I feel like if I practice more with the 41 and Rocca I can probably get a nice 2 pass shave, but don't feel I'll ever get there with the 34c (maybe I could with the GC 84p?).

What would you guys do? Anyone else been here?
I've found that I sometimes need to adjust my razor angle and technique to optimize my shaves for different razors. My recommendation would be to start with your mildest razor, use it for a few weeks until you nail your shaves, and then move on to the next one.

For example, comparing my moderately aggressive Weishi Long Handle and very mild King C. Gillette I needed to use a "rock the cap" technique on my final partial pass (my standard shave is 2+ passes) with the King C. Gillette to achieve a BBS shave.

I've found that I sometimes need to adjust my razor angle and technique to optimize my shaves for different razors. My recommendation would be to start with your mildest razor, use it for a few weeks until you nail your shaves, and then move on to the next one.

For example, comparing my moderately aggressive Weishi Long Handle and very mild King C. Gillette I needed to use a "rock the cap" technique on my final partial pass (my standard shave is 2+ passes) with the King C. Gillette to achieve a BBS shave.
Unless I rub my neck raw, there is no way any mild razor is cutting the hair in the tough spots of my neck. I'm convinced it is not a technique, angle thing. Sure, I can smash the razor into my neck but that isn't good either.

Do you really need BBS on your neck ? I never chase BBS on my neck. It is impossible without the price I am not ready to pay ! Let it be CCS/DFS- !
I agreed that BBS on my neck is not necessary, but I'm getting just a terrible shave with the mild razors. SOOO much easier to get a nice shave with the Rocca and R41, especially on the neck.

Unless I rub my neck raw, there is no way any mild razor is cutting the hair in the tough spots of my neck. I'm convinced it is not a technique, angle thing. Sure, I can smash the razor into my neck but that isn't good either.
My experience is different. By adjusting technique and angle even my mildest razor, the King C. Gillette (consistently rated as mild by most B&Bers), can deliver a BBS shave anywhere on my neck and face. If you stretch you skin correctly results should be similar to elsewhere on you face when shaving. Have a look at the Shave Nation Geofatboy video that covers this.

Realize YMMV, good luck.

My experience is different. By adjusting technique and angle even my mildest razor, the King C. Gillette (consistently rated as mild by most B&Bers), can deliver a BBS shave anywhere on my neck and face. If you stretch you skin correctly results should be similar to elsewhere on you face when shaving. Have a look at the Shave Nation Geofatboy video that covers this.

Realize YMMV, good luck.

I'll checkout the Geofatboy video. Thank you!

Realize YMMV, good luck.

Watch this video. I wish I could shave my neck like Geofatboy does, but I would have insane razor burn. He must have alligator skin.

...but the mild Razors just don't work for my neck. I can use any of them to attain a very nice 3 pass shave on my face, but my neck is much more challenging to deal with. I think that this may be because my beard grows quite flat on my neck and the milder razors require too much pressure to actually cut the hairs--this leads to irritation. And yes, I have tried buffering, skin, stretching, and passes from different directions, nothing works well without causing razor burn.
FWIW, my experience and neck hair seems very similar to yours. I started a thread about this in the "general" forum a few months back:

For me, usually more "aggressive" razors are easier to use (less "blade to face" time) and, ironically, less irritating to my neck. Now, some will say it's perfectly possible to get an irritation free shave on my neck using a "mild" razor with proper technique, meaning my technique is simply lacking. This is probably true and I am okay with that.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I would like to second Stew, if your skin cannot survive many passes, the best option might be to just let it be and be content with a near bbs shave.

Or you try a very angle-insensitive, usually more aggressive razor, that simply will give you that BBS with little more than one WTG pass.

The R41 in zamac is always an option to try this, but there are milder options that should be sufficient.

But based on what @RazorTom wrote, I have the educated gut feeling (tm) that you might like a Superslant L3 OC. Not + or ++, just L3 might be just right for you. This one is not quite R41 aggressive, allows for an easy steep angle, and gives a very good result with little irritation.

I will hang my head in shame if my hunch was wrong, but I think it would be just your right fit.

Top Bottom