What's new

DE Razor collection

My humble collection since 1982.

- Vintage Gillette British Rocket Flare-Tip
- Vintage Gillette British Rocket HD 500
- Vintage Gillette Adjustable
- Gillette King C

All are used on rotation, really love the Vintage Gillettes, never had the desire to move to the newer razors.

I always keep an eye out for Vintage TTO, but never pay the silly prices seen on EBay.

at this moment about 1200 pieces....way to many
Finally someone that doesn’t make me feel bad. Unless you’re including blades.

I’ll see a great deal and just buy it, that’s my issue. Sometimes it will be a lot of razors so I get superspeeds, techs, common news and old types that I need to sell

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Looks like you’re enjoying your journey down that DE rabbit hole! Good on you!
1708051512169.gif

Not as many as some, but I like and use what I have. Timeless, Blackland, and Feather.

View attachment 1790182
beautiful razors! But I also like the stands for them. where did you get them? I've acquired only 4 DE razors since summer 2023 when I started wet shaving. I usually use a 1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable TTO, with some equally old blades I bought at an antique shop. I think I'm finally figuring out how to use a DE without weeping, many thanks to B&B!

In five years of wet shaving (well 3 years actually, as I took a couple detours) I've only accumulated 11 different razors... In no special order:

• Parker Variant (graphite handle)
  • Maggard V3A with MR7 handle
  • Yintal Bronze (lost the top cap, use with Maggard top cap as they are identical). Basically it's just a "skin" for V3A now.
  • Razorock German G37 slant
  • Muehle R41 (2013 version)
  • Baili TTO - my first DE and the one that got me into this hobby.
  • Baili BD176 (the mild one with enclosed blade tabs)
  • Baili BR131/171 (the more aggressive one with exposed blade tabs, I've seen both designations used)
  • Gillette 1971 Super 109 Adjustable
  • Gillette 1960 ball end Tech
  • Ever Ready SE with art deco design (iirc they were made before 1932).
The two Gillettes were just purchased and arrived in the last couple days. I have no opinion of them yet - haven't even used the Tech, and only shaved with the Black Beauty once.

I rotate all of my DE razors during the week, except Muehle. I shave daily and it's just a bit too close for a daily shaver - if I use R41 regularly, at the end of the week my face feels raw even with no daily cuts or irritations.

My all-time favorite is Variant. It's both very smooth and very efficient, with a wide range of effective shaving angles. The head is a direct copy of Mercur Progress, an old and proven design, but the razor finish is very different.

The 2nd place used to belong to Maggard V3A but it was displaced by Baili 131/171. It's very effective while pretty forgiving. So is V3A but I just like Baili a little more. Both of them provide a great shave with minimum effort and are supposedly "aggressive" yet very forgiving. I like using both with the long, heavy Maggard handle.

I used to love the other two milder Baili razors when paired with a sharp blade, but as my technique improved my taste changed with it. They are still very good shavers. Baili makes good razors.

G37 slant is one razor that I just don't seem to fall in love with... Somehow getting a clean BBS shave with no nicks is more of a struggle than I am used to - it's either BBS or nick free, not both.. But I keep using it as most of the time it's the technique not the razor.

What do you guys use to store your razors? I'm just starting to accumulate a bunch of vintage Gillette's and have a small display stand my wife got me that I'll rotate 6 cool looking ones onto, but looking for any ideas for safe storage for ones that aren't in use. So far I don't have any with the original boxes as I'm not that type of collector yet, for now I'm into trying them out and restoring them as best I can, not worried about completeness or things like that.

What do you guys use to store your razors? I'm just starting to accumulate a bunch of vintage Gillette's and have a small display stand my wife got me that I'll rotate 6 cool looking ones onto, but looking for any ideas for safe storage for ones that aren't in use. So far I don't have any with the original boxes as I'm not that type of collector yet, for now I'm into trying them out and restoring them as best I can, not worried about completeness or things like that.

Welcome to the forum! There are lots of storage ideas in this thread from last year.

Welcome to the forum! There are lots of storage ideas in this thread from last year.

Thanks! Sorry about that, I should have searched...I've been lurking for a while and the amount of information in here is amazing, I should have known there'd already be a post.

Top Bottom