What's new

My collection of straight razors so far...

I got started with a Gold Dollar way back in 2020. I wasn't really sure if the somewhat disappointing quality of my shaves was down to technique, or cheap Chinese steel, so I got a vintage off of eBay to restore and used that one for about a year, and have got much better technique down. I bought a bunch more vintage razors off eBay to restore recently because I really like the process, but I think I might buy a new high quality razor soon. If only to have a frame of reference.

PXL_20230906_215006261~2.jpg

This one is my current favorite. I don't know much about it, other than it was listed in a 1908 barber's catalog for the Moline Barber Supply Co. in Moline, IL. But the blade was made in Germany and is marked ALTZ. It has some nice bone scales which took a great luster after a bath in mineral oil.

It's been a great shaver.

Next I tried this Wester Bros De-Fi 34. It was kind of interesting to use because I had to take the blade down to 4/8ths. I don't think it thickend the edge out too much, but it kind of makes holding it at the right angle a little trickier.

Then there's this Torrey... Man, I bit off a little more than I could chew with restoring this one. I thought it was just rust, but upon receiving it there was some kind of black scale on it. Looked like a BBQ grill. Pretty sure it was in a fire or something. Couldn't get the pitting out, but it took a decent edge and shaves really well.

Then there's this Oxford blade. This one came with a different set of scales, but they'd become so brittle that they didn't survive me taking the pins out. Luckily, I had a set of scales from a different razor that was way beyond salvation, so I used them instead. I quite like them; they have a greenish, goldish, translucency with some shimmering going on. I haven't used the razor yet, but I expect it will be a good shaver.

(And one more just to show odd the scales more)

Then I also kind of modified my Gold Dollar. Originally it came with a 20 degree angle, so I thinned the spine out so that it would come out to more around 15-16. I never bothered getting the spine pretty again, because the razor is pretty ugly in general. Believe it or not, it makes a fantastic shave.

PXL_20230905_205956655.NIGHT~2.jpg

I'm still on the fence about buying a brand new nice one. I have the feeling that if I am pleased enough with these humbler options, there's probably going to be too much of a price difference for me to appreciate a brand new Dovo for example.

Anyway I just wanted to do some show and tell. 🙂

I'm somewhere over 40 vintage, maybe 50 now..

And 1 new, my original, now 15 year old dovo best quality.

Every time I see a new beautiful razor and want one, I have no ability to actually accept putting that money into a new one when I could for the same money get a 7/8 vintage Boker, or a WB wedge, or a Clark and hall, or get my first frameback, or... There's so many amazing vintage, it's hard to put money into new given how interesting vintage is.

I thought honestly about getting a new Boker Bicycle Race, but that's just because it's like the cool vintage ones. If Boker brought back the improved eagle etch, or the classic "Hollow Ground" etch I'd think about it, but until then I'll keep hunting classics... I should get an Ern with the crown and sword etch on the face... Actually, I have wanted to get a de-fi for a while, I have a lot of respect for Wester Bros

I'm somewhere over 40 vintage, maybe 50 now..

And 1 new, my original, now 15 year old dovo best quality.

Every time I see a new beautiful razor and want one, I have no ability to actually accept putting that money into a new one when I could for the same money get a 7/8 vintage Boker, or a WB wedge, or a Clark and hall, or get my first frameback, or... There's so many amazing vintage, it's hard to put money into new given how interesting vintage is.

I thought honestly about getting a new Boker Bicycle Race, but that's just because it's like the cool vintage ones. If Boker brought back the improved eagle etch, or the classic "Hollow Ground" etch I'd think about it, but until then I'll keep hunting classics... I should get an Ern with the crown and sword etch on the face... Actually, I have wanted to get a de-fi for a while, I have a lot of respect for Wester Bros
Yeah I haven't even thought of paying for a higher end vintage one before now. I have basically just aimed at cheap ones that were in rough shape, but I have seen a few others that were still in good shape for a little more money that I would think as worth it. The De-Fi 34, for example, I saw one that was practically new looking for $35 that I'd totally pay that much for.

For your next quality buy check out Griffith shave goods. They will also have good vintage blades available and everything can be ordered shave ready.

Top Bottom