What's new

Zookeepers of the Muhle R41 BEAST

My Weber classic handle came in today. I paired it with my R41 head used steep angle again and had an incredibly close shave free of redness or irritation. This was my second shave with the R41 and it was even better than the first. My upper lip is so clean it feels funny.... as if hair never grew there. This is one incredible razor.

Last edited:
My Weber classic handle came in today. I paired it with my R41 head used steep angle again and had an incredibly close shave free of redness or irritation. This was my second shave with the R41 and it was even better than the first. My upper lip is so clean it feels funny.... as if hair never grew there. This is one incredible razor.

I love that never grew feeling.

I am convinced there is no other DE that can shave the way this razor does. It truly is a rare beast :biggrin1:

After reading so much about the R41 I'm not surprised that I'm getting super close shaves, I am surprised at it's coupled with zero irritation. I also expected to have somewhat of a learning curve but that has not been the case for me. I know this is a YMMV thing as there have been people who have tons more shaving experience than me that the R41 didn't work for.

BTW it rides really sweet on the top of a Weber classic handle!:thumbup1:

I've seen many posts bout replacing the R41 handle. Is the original handle that bad?

I'll give you my honest opinion, and I know others will disagree. :biggrin1: The original handle is NOT that bad IMHO, and it is NOT slippery either, in my experience.
There are "worse" handles, the Progress is one of them for example.But if you rub your fingers on an alum block you get a much better grip on any handle.
It is however, too light. I have a Rosegold handle that I hate watching just sitting inside the drawer, so I still use it once in a while. I get great shaves with both handles.

$CAM00755.jpg
$CAM00926.jpg

I'll just have to bear with it for a while then. I've dreamt of making my own razor handles ever since I found out it can be made with a lathe. First thing I'll make when I get my lathe will be a grade 316 stainless steel handle. I've caught myself on many occasions day-dreaming on how I would go about making it. :biggrin1:

I'll just have to bear with it for a while then. I've dreamt of making my own razor handles ever since I found out it can be made with a lathe. First thing I'll make when I get my lathe will be a grade 316 stainless steel handle. I've caught myself on many occasions day-dreaming on how I would go about making it. :biggrin1:

Pics when you make it.

The R41 definitely tugs more than my other razors, I'm guessing the steep angle has a lot to do with that. Funny thing is I have no razor burn or redness on my chin where there was considerable tugging on last nights shave(2 days growth). I just carefully pulled through with no pressure with 2 passes and some touch ups. I think the heavier handle helps the head to move through the hair easier.

I just bought the head so I can't comment on the original handle. I used my Parker handle once and the Weber classic once and although the Parker handle is no lightweight the Webber is heavier. I'll probably switch back and forth for a while to see which one I like better as I'm only 2 shaves in and still in the learning curve of the razor......to think the shaves could get better :a47:

Double shot, for me blades seem to make more of a difference with the BEAST than with other razors. I'm going through my sample pack again one blade at a time, 2 shaves on each blade to find a good fit.

Double shot, for me blades seem to make more of a difference with the BEAST than with other razors. I'm going through my sample pack again one blade at a time, 2 shaves on each blade to find a good fit.
Interesting....

So far I've tried a GSB and a Crystal and they both worked very well but both went dull real fast which was no surprise because I've read about that here.

I still have a nice little sample pack left and will try them all. As I see it it's about finding a blade that works well that's on the cheaper side because most only get a few shaves before they have to toss them.

Small price to pay for the shave.

I'm a DE razor shaving newbie (started 3 weeks ago). I started with a Lord L6 just to see if I like it, and I love it. I'm proud to say that this morning, I had my first shave with my R41 with a Feather New Hi-Stainless Steel blade and it was awesome. My preparation is solid and once I refine my technique, I know my shaves will be BBS.

I'm a DE razor shaving newbie (started 3 weeks ago). I started with a Lord L6 just to see if I like it, and I love it. I'm proud to say that this morning, I had my first shave with my R41 with a Feather New Hi-Stainless Steel blade and it was awesome. My preparation is solid and once I refine my technique, I know my shaves will be BBS.

Congrats Dude! :thumbup: Welcome to the Zoo! Take good care of that Beast, and she will provide you many awesome shaves!

Zookeepers!

Today was my first dance with the R41. Short answer: impressed.

I told myself that I should limit myself to 2 passes using the stock handle. You know, get to know the thing. But to my surprise, it shaves/behaves very much like a Schick Type A injector, of which I am accustomed. Both razors are similar in that, I'm not sure 'aggressive' is the word I would choose. I liken them instead to a well-trained horse that 'responds exceptionally to light input.'

The R41 seemed to 'want' the steeper angle, and so I let it lead the way. I blew through the 2 pass self-imposed limit and ended up chasing a BBS. And it most certainly delivered. I told myself not to dwell on my trouble patch (right side, under chin), but I did, and it left me with two mild weepers. Nothing I would blame on the R41. Both the R41 and Type A demand respect; I got a little forward on the first date, and it quickly reminded me who's really in charge :blush:. Otherwise there was pretty much no irritation whatsoever.

I can definitely see why there is so much admiration for 'the beast.' I look forward to our impending courtship. Tomorrow the Weber handle goes on; let's see what that does.

I think I'll just go ahead and amend my signature accordingly. That is... if you'll all have me.

Top Bottom