What's new

Words and Phrases that really annoy

Lol. I kind of noticed over the years here in the US and probably the same worldwide we get into saying certain things. I think a lot of it starts through the Press, movies and media.
I do notice these Trends change as years ago and new sayings develop to become popular, or maybe cool.
My bad... bad what? Sentence or what. lol
I am sure you are exactly correct. Phrases and even particular words become trendy and then seem to become trite and over-used. I remember when the word ubiquitous, consistent with its own meaning seemed to be everywhere. Then seemed tiresome. And not seems rarely heard.

I think I wrote about "my bad" in this thread earlier. I like the phrase and find it useful. My wife thinks I should never use it, especially in any work-type setting. I guess she sees it as kind of a combination of trying to be too "hip" and declasse for office use. Some object to it because it can often be a weakly stated apology that is not really an apology at all. I suppose it depends on the intonation. Or an apology that sort of says, at the same time, I admit fault but it still does not seem like a very big deal to me. I suppose it seems useful to me often enough to have a way to admit some level of fault that does no sound as solemn and weighty as making a full-on apology. Sort of an I screwed up, but it was unintentional or something. Maybe I just screw up more than other people! But that is is just me. My wife is usually more sensitive to decorum than I am, so she is probably correct that one should not use the phrase.

And, AimlessWanderer, you seem just fine to me!!!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I recall distinctly the use of "my bad" about the time of the Challenger tragedy.
It was common in the US Navy then.
It was used, and accepted as less than an apology of sorts and more of an admission and public acknowledgement of personal error.

Nice observations, (changing gears) seemed to be what the media were all saying for a stretch not so long ago.
It's all kind of fun we we think and talk about this stuff, nice thread!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Tell 'em "Don't make a heart shape, make a brain shape!"
Then watch their faces as they think on it.

Well, three guesses what I think a brain is shaped like ....

Why would do you ASK a QUESTION, shouldn't you tell someone a question? (don't ask and question have the same meaning?)

I can state a question that I asked someone else, thus not requiring you to answer ...

My wife thinks I should never use it, especially in any work-type setting.

As long as you don't start singing like Michael Jackson ...

The day I start singing like Michael Jackson, which is to say as well as Michael Jackson, my work-type setting is going to change quite a bit! I would not hold my breath waiting for that to happen though!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

The day I start singing like Michael Jackson, which is to say as well as Michael Jackson, my work-type setting is going to change quite a bit! I would not hold my breath waiting for that to happen though!

Thanks, now I have this picture stuck in my head of @The Knize moonwalking to "Billy Jean".
The song is a notorious earworm.

I would say that even after I have heard it thousands of times, I can still listen to "Billy Jean," earworm that it is. And I sure can't dance, much less moonwalk, although "I would if I could." :)

There as a time I really liked Michael Jackson, or at least his work. I suppose really his work with Quincy Jones, which I think was pretty much limited to Off the Wall, Thriller, and Bad. I wish I could think about that music without it triggering thoughts of other, less happy things.

Piracy Is Not A Victimless Crime

I'm technologically primitive, so I still watch DVD's
and I see
at the beginning of most DVD's.

And then a made up movie scene forms in my mind.
It's pirates taking over a ship and there's a huge sword fight
and suddenly one of the pirates breaks the fourth wall
and launches into a public service announcement
and says "Piracy Is Not A Victimless Crime"
and then the guy who's head he was going to chop off
says "Who are you talking to?"

"The audience. "

"Ok, I get that, but who needs to be told that piracy is not a victimless crime? "

"In the future, copyright infringement is called Piracy. "

"Is that what becomes of us? Oh good god kill me now! "

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

I'm technologically primitive, so I still watch DVD's
and I see
at the beginning of most DVD's.

And then a made up movie scene forms in my mind.
It's pirates taking over a ship and there's a huge sword fight
and suddenly one of the pirates breaks the fourth wall
and launches into a public service announcement
and says "Piracy Is Not A Victimless Crime"
and then the guy who's head he was going to chop off
says "Who are you talking to?"

"The audience. "

"Ok, I get that, but who needs to be told that piracy is not a victimless crime? "

"In the future, copyright infringement is called Piracy. "

"Is that what becomes of us? Oh good god kill me now! "
I do not advocate breaking copyright laws.
But...
I'll say that in many cases, the victims of piracy are elite know it alls who constantly bad mouth their customers and are not well regarded by the pirates.
One would think that they would strive to generate good will, but instead they are viewed as kindly as protesters blocking an ambulance on the freeway.

I was around a younger relative and his favorite phrase is: Does that make sense?

He will say something like this: The mortgage rates are high due to economic factors. Does that make sense?

I wanted to ask if this was a quiz, but I know how it would have been taken.

I have noticed it’s common in conversation especially in sports. It will be in this context: The team lost the game because they didn’t score enough points. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
I was around a younger relative and his favorite phrase is: Does that make sense?

He will say something like this: The mortgage rates are high due to economic factors. Does that make sense?

I wanted to ask if this was a quiz, but I know how it would have been taken.

I have noticed it’s common in conversation especially in sports. It will be in this context: The team lost the game because they didn’t score enough points. Does that make sense?
I have a standard countermove to this. I pause for several seconds. Then, speaking slowly, I say "No." Then I pause a couple of seconds and explain why.

I suppose that could be defeated if what the speaker said both made perfect sense, and was not inanely trivial, like your examples, but the case doesn't seem to come up when speaking with people who are fond of this phrase.

I would say that even after I have heard it thousands of times, I can still listen to "Billy Jean," earworm that it is. And I sure can't dance, much less moonwalk, although "I would if I could." :)

There as a time I really liked Michael Jackson, or at least his work. I suppose really his work with Quincy Jones, which I think was pretty much limited to Off the Wall, Thriller, and Bad. I wish I could think about that music without it triggering thoughts of other, less happy things.

There was a time when Michael Jackson was a good looking black kid,
a great singer, and non controversially very popular.

Considering that Ben was about a friendship with a rat
which had been partially tamed from the wild,
I don't think anybody could have done it better.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
When all is said and done.......... more is said than done. One of my father-in-law's favorites.... I like it and adopted it myself.

Another of his: "Now.... then..." (with a wry smile) I do wonder where that phrase originated: "rye smile". Rye whiskey induced smile?

"Wry means "bent, twisted". Even is you don't have a wry sense of humor, you might crack a wry smile. No rye is involved."

Top Bottom