What's new

Words and Phrases that really annoy

Hmmm, well, that is a tough call. French is much older than English (and certainly much, much older than "American English.")

If I recall correctly, William the Conquerer introduced French into the language in the mid 1000s. If one wants to see what our beloved language looked like before William's (yes, first name basis 😁) impact, take a gander at the works of Chaucer, though he technically lived a bit later (approx 1400), and is known as the father of "English literature" (anyone up for a good read of Canterbury Tales? Now THAT is a hard 24 story collection written in "Middle English." Yikes. Hardest 15,000+ lines if it's one's first introduction to English literature. 🙄

Of course, we insist, even to this day, to ascribe English words to manuscripts from Chaucer.

ANYWAY, digression: I agree on theater, not theatre. 😁 😁 😁

I've read that Churchill found reports he had to read from American sources to be distracting because of spellings of "theater", etc. It was a pet peeve of his.

Of course I was being a bit facetious about France. But your post reminded me that supposedly, the backwoods accent and speech patterns of the "Carolina Redneck" remain the closest to how Elizabethan English sounded. So I've heard.

One that has gotten under my skin lately is the word "casted." I read entertainment news because I like movies. It used to be that an actor was cast in a role. Now I repeatedly see, "so-and-so was casted as the villain." I haven't looked it up to see if it's proper, it just sounds wrong to me.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
One that has gotten under my skin lately is the word "casted." I read entertainment news because I like movies. It used to be that an actor was cast in a role. Now I repeatedly see, "so-and-so was casted as the villain." I haven't looked it up to see if it's proper, it just sounds wrong to me.
Tomorrow, I will cast my fishing fly.
All day yesterday I cast my fishing fly.

Different meaning but same usage to my ear.
Everybody is a "journalist" these days and are used to texting and social media. They have no clue on how to write, nor do they have an editor to chew their butt when they screw up.
I am appalled that almost every major news outlet story is filled with grammar and spelling errors.

Ok, a text or a tweet or a facebook or web site post? No big deal.
But major news outlets?

Tomorrow, I will cast my fishing fly.
All day yesterday I cast my fishing fly.

Different meaning but same usage to my ear.
Everybody is a "journalist" these days and are used to texting and social media. They have no clue on how to write, nor do they have an editor to chew their butt when they screw up.
I am appalled that almost every major news outlet story is filled with grammar and spelling errors.
I worked in newspapers for 35 years. Because of diminishing profits, editing has been left to a computer.

Whenever someone says, “I could care less” when what they probably mean is, “ I couldn’t care less.”

Or, “I’ll be honest with you…”

You mean up until now you’ve been lying to me?

And, I’ll be honest with you, if either of these comments have already been posted, I couldn’t care less.

Last edited:
No matter how many times I try to explain it ...
Stent - a small support that is put inside a blood vessel for support and/or to stop something from blocking it.
Stint - a period of time that you spend working somewhere or doing a particular activity.
You do not put stints in coronary arteries! :mad2:

Not a word or a phrase but rather the trend of people taking pictures while making a heart shape with their hands and fingers….why? When did this start?

It bugs me more and more to hear friends/acquaintances talk about their prostrate surgery. I used to let it slide, but now I interrupt and say "prostate?" as if I expect them to correct it. I know, I know, expectations are the seed of resentment...

Next time get on your knees and bow
gomen wtf GIF

That method applies to a lot of situations.
For example - if someone says "No disrespect intended..." you can be assured that the next words out of their pie hole will be disrespectful.
Maybe, but it could be said by a person who has been browbeaten and/or fears their comment will be taken as a "microaggression" by the other person. Where in the past a recipient was expected to have a thicker skin and deeper thoughts, where the recipient shrugged their shoulders and thought that was an off-color or inappropriate remark to some degree, but also understood that the speaker was trying to make some broader point beyond the initial emotional "triggering" response it might also induce.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I've been known to use "truth be told".... and I do realize, it should always be that way. I think I use it when I'm saying.... it's an unbiased opinion..... Though I'm not so sure there is such a thing. I've never considered using the phrase "lies be told".

Top Bottom