What's new

Which AOS cream should I try first?

So after shavingcreams.com's awesome special they just ran I now have 4 new tubs of cream for ~$60.
I got lavender, lemon, sandlewood, and ocean kelp.
I tried their "house brand" , Hirsch luxury and it's some creative stuff. I'm mostly a soap guy but couldn't pass up the offer and it was free shipping for the AOS.
Who's tried these and which are your favorite (s)?
Thanks! !

P.S. I did notice slightly different consistency between them. Some are more soft and creamy and other resembles proraso in the tub and a bit harder... maybe just older stock...

what a great score and buying decision!!

Actually, my reco would be to start with the mildest of the AOS creams and work to the most intense.
Eg, start with lavender, then ocean kelp, then lemon and last (but not least) sandalwood.

In any case, let us know your impressions!
Enjoy your shaves!!

ps...Hirsch is also nice!

I keep passing by the AoS near me... walk in and resist the impulse purchase.
I really want to try their Lavender. Let me know what you think after you've tried it out.

Ok gents, will do.
Things are busy nkw and instead of trying something new, I always revert to grated Palmolive when in a hurry...
Will post impressions.

Their sandalwood is an awesome scent. I have the ocean kelp also, both perform very well but the sandalwood scent is great....to my nose. Enjoy!

I started with Lavender. At first I did not care for it but it grew on me. I hav become find of lavender scent in various products, including candles.

Well gents, they are all great!!!
The scents are nice too. I usually use more of a fern type scented product, but can't go wrong with these and the price I paid!!

I like the lonely AOS cream I own, sandalwood, and bought some of their Hirsch brand creams during another sale (BOGO). I like the company and am satisfied with everything I've bought from them. I'm glad to learn you're satisfied with your purchase.

I like the lonely AOS cream I own, sandalwood, and bought some of their Hirsch brand creams during another sale (BOGO). I like the company and am satisfied with everything I've bought from them. I'm glad to learn you're satisfied with your purchase.

Yeah, they have some crazy deals sometimes that makes me question the pricing on other sites lol.
Glad to hear you enjoy their Hirsch and the AOS!!
I'm really not a cream guy but I do like them for ease of use.

I went into my first AOS this week and was really impressed. I planned to get the lavender, but thought it was too lightly scented. I don't know what the ocean kelp scent is, but it smelled great. In the end, I balked at the prices and will wait for another day.

I went into the store and smelled them all. Not a bad one in the bunch but was just getting one so had to go with the Sandalwood.

Start with whichever smells best! I LOVE the Sandalwood, and gave the Lavender to a friend to get him started wetshaving. I've not used the Ocean Kelp or Lemon, but I've smelled both in a store, and thought they were both fantastic. What a great problem to have.

I know AOS is pricey, but their creams/soaps/balms/edts are quality. I have a few pucks of the discontinued tallow sandalwood soap. I used a whole luck of their reformulated shave soap and thought it was pretty good. Very slick, actually.

I've never tried Ocean Kelp, so that is my recommendation. Try that one first.

I tried the Ocean Kelp last night.
First, the scent... I have no idea what Kelp is supposed to smell like, but had they called it Ocean Breeze, I would say, "Yea... smells something like that". Has a little citrus at the start, then a clean fresh aroma. Nice.

The shave: The cream is reminiscent of TOBS. It is rich and needs water to get the right lather. It says, "brush or brushless". I wouldn't even try it brushless, though I can see how it would work OK. It is slick and has good cushion.
It lathers quickly and generously. A little goes a long way. (maybe a tad better than TOBS?... not sure yet).
It clears easily from the razor between passes. I got a very good shave will no irritation.
Again, I get similar results from TOBS. I miss the tingle from TOBS Peppermint, but it was not at all lacking in any other respect.
Last comment; I recently tried the Proraso cream. My skin felt a bit dry after my final rinse. AoS is more moisturizing, and my skin felt great after the final rinse. Is it more luxurious than TOBS? I need a few more shaves with it before I call it better.
I also got the lavender. I will try that tomorrow night.

Tried the Lavender last night. I like the aroma better than the Ocean Kelp, but of course that is subjective. I will say that the Lavender aroma was stronger than the Ocean Kelp. SWMBO agrees.
Performance was the same for both creams, (excellent).

Top Bottom