What's new

Myrsol shaving Cream/Soap (and SV Morado)

There a few old threads on this unicorn... but please chime in - because this may be an unsung hero.

I've been making some fabulous shave sticks by combining say soft soaps like Cella & MWF... and the converse with excellent hard soaps like SV or Pre de Provence & mix with a softer unscented soap like Stirilng Sheep.

And then I heard about Myrsol... some groovy aftershaves and a 1kg tub of "cream" - so took a chance and ordered from here

Out of stock it seems again, sorry!

It is indeed a big tub, and is a thick cream - too thick for a tube i'd say, and softer than Cella as comparison. Very light scent even from the 1kg tub - slight lemony, or lemon sherbet but very faint even from that giant tub, which is good. This softness bodes very well for mixing with a hard soap... and I did order a tub of SV Morado just... well, have used some SV Dolomiti so i already knew it's top notch soap, and hard.. so give it a go.

1kg of Myrsol = 25ish Euro = $27 (! for a kilo)
150gm SV Morado = 31 Euro = $33.72 for 150gm = $224.8 per kilo (!!)
Blimey. (And don't get me wrong SV is lovely, and not selling you water like other 'artisan' soaps... but still.)

IMG_5192.jpg

As you can see the ingredients list is short...

Aqua, Estearic Acid Potassium Hidroxide, Cocos Nucifera, Sodium Hidroxide, Lanolin, Glicerin, Parfum.

Had a wonderful shave with it alone - scooped some out to an old SV tub and loaded a brush and face lathered. Easy lather, and quite dense and creamy with minimal scent.
I had a 2 day growth, and switched to the open comb Muramasa razor, usual 2 passes & absolutely one of the best shaves I've had.
Very impressive indeed - and usually i'll judge 'post shave' feel on the actual shave which for me is alum block then witch hazel with tea tree oil... but i have to say I did notice how close and comfortable the shave was. So, good old Lanolin & glycerine seems like just the business really.

Slapped on the Thayer's & Tea tree and very pleased indeed.

So impressed I got the cheese grater out and mixed 50/50 grated SV Morado and some Myrsol - mixed with a fork and pressed into a twist up stick. Very easy to mix - can just scoop and spread out some Myrsol with a fork then grate the SV as needed mix & put in container. Seems very soft when you're working it (like Cella and MWF) but leave overnight and you have an excellent shave stick - slightly softer than straight Arko, so wipes on the face easily and face lathers like... well, Arko or Cella, but maybe denser/creamier.

Shaved next day with the SV Morado x Myrsol stick and 'tis wonderful, with the restrained and tasteful Morado scent on top.

Happy my impulse 1kg purchase has worked out just fine... will be tremendous with PdeP 63 - and i've got some RR Dead Sea & Officina Artigiana Najran waiting in the UK form me to pick up.

I'd recommend giving it a try... and just checked that Maggards has for example 150gm tubs of Antesol cream which has a short ingredients list with Lanolin & glycerin, so you could give that a try rather than the full monty 1kg (but there again Maggards 150gm is $22 @shrug@ )

Attachments

• tempImageUUZxTU.png
    tempImageUUZxTU.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 6
It seems the Myrsol shaving cream could stand on its own. What is the rationale again for mixing a very inexpensive shaving cream with one of the most expensive soaps? To make a stick? Why not just put the Myrsol in a dish and apply by hand?

It might be interesting to take a few hundred grams of the Myrsol cream and cure it in the open air to reduce the water content. You would end up with something much like Canada shaving soap -- a dehydrated cream.

It seems the Myrsol shaving cream could stand on its own.

It might be interesting to take a few hundred grams of the Myrsol cream and cure it in the open air to reduce the water content. You would end up with something much like Canada shaving soap -- a dehydrated cream.

The Myrsol shaving cream in the 1 kg “bucket” is indeed quite good on its own.
I use it from time to time and may order another one when done.

The shape of the container does make it a bit tricky to load the brush when there is only little left in the bucket.
When you want to transfer the cream to another container (e.g. apothecary jar), it is better to use a container with a lid as the cream has a tendency to loose moisture, shrink and develop cracks.

B.

I first started De shaving with Arko - so that may explain my strong preference for a shave stick over bowls and faff ;-)

Cella and MWF is tremendous too - and due to the softness of Cella it is very easy to wipe on to the face... but after a few days, I can confirm how good a Myrsol x Hard soap combo stick is.

Very, very easy to apply to face and some of the best shaves i've had. Lovely subtle scent of Morado - Pre de Provence and Myrsol will be gorgeous (once i've finished my current PdeP63 x Stirling Sheep...)

IMG_5200.jpg

Top Bottom