What's new

Soaps when visiting Rome

Hi everyone,

I'm a longtime lurker, and finally got around to making an account. I've been wet shaving since 2013, but early last year I discovered that a lot has happened in the shaving world besides Proraso products.

Since then this forum has enabled me to buy a bunch of stuff, NO, MdC, SV (and more Proraso!).

In late May I have a work-related trip to Rome, Italy and the thought of buying soap has entered my mind...

So, any good brands, and where to find them in Rome? So far I have to find a place that sells SV pucks, and if I could locate a place that sells MdC I would be very happy. Ofc I have to buy some Cella just to try it, but I'm open to ideas.

As MdC is French.....you might have to search a bit for that brand. I would be inclined to look for local stuff which doesn't make it out of Italy. You would probably get Proraso items for a fraction of the price you pay at home

Proraso is dirt cheap in Italy, so if you like it, I'd say stock as much as you can. Another one I recommend trying is Officina Artigiana Milano. It is made using only natural ingredients (except scent, so shelf life won't be as long as some other soaps), but it is fantastic and it is the only soap I can do 8+ passes with straight razors without any issues! Yes, I know, 8+ passes is a ridiculously high number and totally unnecessary, but I've done it many times simply because I couldn't believe how good this soap is. Beware, if you don't like scented soaps, this will definitely not be for you as it is quite strong.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I would seek out craft markets or independent soap makers in the hope of finding something not for sale online. It may turn out not to be a great product, and that is the gamble, but at least it will remind you of your trip when you use it. For me there is zero interest in buying Proraso, SV, or anything else I can buy online even at a heavy discount. Otherwise all you are doing is shopping for your normal supplies, and why waste your time doing that on a trip to Rome?

I'm sure @Marco will be able to help, he's our B&B gent in Rome.

Welcome to Badger and Blade!
I've read many of his posts so I'll hope he stops by this thread, and thank you!
As MdC is French.....you might have to search a bit for that brand. I would be inclined to look for local stuff which doesn't make it out of Italy. You would probably get Proraso items for a fraction of the price you pay at home
Yes, I should have mentioned I hope some retailers have them by chance otherwise my MdC samples will last me quite a while still. Indeed, I look forward to try some of their other offerings, as they are not so cheap in Denmark.
Proraso is dirt cheap in Italy, so if you like it, I'd say stock as much as you can. Another one I recommend trying is Officina Artigiana Milano. It is made using only natural ingredients (except scent, so shelf life won't be as long as some other soaps), but it is fantastic and it is the only soap I can do 8+ passes with straight razors without any issues! Yes, I know, 8+ passes is a ridiculously high number and totally unnecessary, but I've done it many times simply because I couldn't believe how good this soap is. Beware, if you don't like scented soaps, this will definitely not be for you as it is quite strong.
Thanks for the recommendation! One of the benefits is to actually smell them before blind buying - as all my soaps have been so far. I'll keep an eye out.
Check out Saponificio Pachys as well - lesser known but excellent Italian soap
Noted, always good to learn something new!

Excellent (I mean, really excellent) natural soaps and aftershaves, both with or without tallow.

For MdC:

Zenith brushes are discounted as well.
Is that a shop with a physical location in Rome? Pretty good discounts right now tho.
I would seek out craft markets or independent soap makers in the hope of finding something not for sale online. It may turn out not to be a great product, and that is the gamble, but at least it will remind you of your trip when you use it. For me there is zero interest in buying Proraso, SV, or anything else I can buy online even at a heavy discount. Otherwise all you are doing is shopping for your normal supplies, and why waste your time doing that on a trip to Rome?
I see where you are coming from, and I agree to some extent. Shipping and blind buying are unfortunately a big part of my experience buying new shaving gear. So when I find something I like, I like to stock up. However, finding some obscure soap not available to order online which I can show off on this site is definitely something I'm up for ;).

Jk. But part of me asking in this thread is also to get some "inside" knowledge of the whereabouts of a craft market or similar.

Just a quick update.

So I managed to locate some stores in Rome selling SV soaps. From SV's website, you can track retailers and their locations. Unfortunately, not many have websites so I'll have to see what they stock when I get there.

Does anyone know what SV shaving soap retails for in Rome? Is it the same as on SV's website?

When I return I'll do an update with my "quest" for soap in Rome for any future travelers.

I highly recommend Santa Maria Novella soap! i believe they have a boutique in rome, you should definitely pay it a visit... their cologones and aftershave milk is also heavenly!! careful though, not cheap!

I'd pick up a couple of pucks of tcheon Fung Sing shaving soaps. Despite the name, the soaps are made in Torino. And they are excellent. Trey the Lineament Intenso Bergamotto Neroli, a wonderful citrus soap with great performance.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
@Mildfruit Finding quality stuff directly in shops is becoming harder and harder. I mean, you can still find a few things here and there, but it would be an annoying waste of time and energy. For this reason I do suggest a different approach that is easier, quicker and can allow you to save some money, too. What I do suggest is buying from a quality Italian on-line shop. Once you select what you are interested in, buy it by paying on-line and have it shipped to the hotel where you are staying. Of course you would need to advice the hotel in advance so that they can keep your parcel safely stored until your arrival. When you are in the hotel you do not have anything else to think about, your items are already there waiting for you!
On a side note, on-line you find whatever you desire, Italian stuff and non. Also, prices are very competitive (usually lower) and shipping domestic packages above a certain value is almost always free of charge.
If interested I can give you a couple of addresses where to buy from.

All the best,

Marco

If I was going to Italy it would be for Food, Wine, and Gelato. Soaps can be found in USA from Italy, not their cooking, boutique wines, and gelato.

I live in Europe, but I get your point, and their food and wine will be another highlight of my trip hopefully :).
I highly recommend Santa Maria Novella soap! i believe they have a boutique in rome, you should definitely pay it a visit... their cologones and aftershave milk is also heavenly!! careful though, not cheap!
Woah, you were not kidding about the price! Never heard of this brand before but I'm intrigued thanks!
If you have the budget, visit one of the SMN stores in Rome.

Also, the AdP store at piazza di spagna.
Duly noted, I hope I can visit that place!
I'd pick up a couple of pucks of tcheon Fung Sing shaving soaps. Despite the name, the soaps are made in Torino. And they are excellent. Trey the Lineament Intenso Bergamotto Neroli, a wonderful citrus soap with great performance.
Thanks for the recommendation, will check it out!
@Mildfruit Finding quality stuff directly in shops is becoming harder and harder. I mean, you can still find a few things here and there, but it would be an annoying waste of time and energy. For this reason I do suggest a different approach that is easier, quicker and can allow you to save some money, too. What I do suggest is buying from a quality Italian on-line shop. Once you select what you are interested in, buy it by paying on-line and have it shipped to the hotel where you are staying. Of course you would need to advise the hotel in advance so that they can keep your parcel safely stored until your arrival. When you are in the hotel you do not have anything else to think about, your items are already there waiting for you!
On a side note, on-line you find whatever you desire, Italian stuff and non. Also, prices are very competitive (usually lower) and shipping domestic packages above a certain value is almost always free of charge.
If interested I can give you a couple of addresses where to buy from.

All the best,

Marco

During my lurker period, I often saw detailed and well-thought-out responses from you and it happened again:a14:. Thank you for the advice, and I'll be very interested in where to buy from, it's certainly an easier way than walking from store to store.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
During my lurker period, I often saw detailed and well-thought-out responses from you and it happened again:a14:. Thank you for the advice, and I'll be very interested in where to buy from, it's certainly an easier way than walking from store to store.
The finest on-line shop is Rasoigoodfellas.
Actual chain-stores to fisically check are Tigotà and Acqua & Sapone (here you can find plenty of Proraso and Cella).

I am not from Italy but I am close enough hah and here where I live is similar situation. If you want to find more nicer and luxurious stuff (artisan soaps and some other old school Italian shaving stuff like Furbo soaps, Vitos and similar) you have to order online. Like many European countries, you will mostly find commercial shaving products in physical stores unless they are specialized for selling barber stuff.

Top Bottom