What's new

What's your coffee today? What brew method? Photos

Today's beans were Bridge City Coffee (Greenville, SC) - El Salvador (natural process).
I used the Wide Awake PH recipes starting with the 2-pour recipe for the first cup and the 3-pour recipe for the second cup.
The first cup I tried a finer grind with the 2-pour recipe but it had an astringent taste to it. I decided to go back to the previous grind setting that I liked for the 2-pour recipe and tried it with the 3-pour recipe. It worked well.

IMG_3152.jpg

Espresso lungo with a demitasse spoon of sugar for me today

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Good morning, coffee crew.

Peet's Big Bang. Black.

It's 40° in SCS right now with a high around 44°. Some clouds mixed with sunshine today. No rain expected. I got about 7 hours of sleep last night. I woke up once to take an Alka Seltzer Plus due to a slight sinus headache but went right back to sleep. Not much on the agenda today other than uploading a few tracks and having lunch at Waves.

Have a blessed Wednesday, friends.

Another episode in ersatz coffee. Felt like a hot drink at 9 at night, so thought I'd try doing a blend of roasted chickory and roasted barley (Crastan Orzo brand, ground not soluble). Went with 24 grams barley and 6 grams of chickory to 800ml water, brewed for 8 minute in a French press. It's quite nice, better than the barley by itself, and adds some nuttiness the chickory lacks, but maybe not as pleasant as chickory by itself. Maybe next time less barley. It tasted quite nice with milk too, and smelled remarkably like coffee when brewing, although didn't taste as close.
IMG_3153.jpg

The Major's father-in-law was transferred to a skilled nursing facility to gain strength for a few weeks before being released to stay w/the Major and his CO for a month or so. The Major's CO has finally released all the stress created by holding in fears that he wouldn't be discharged from the hospital where he underwent the double bypass, at least not alive. At the moment, he's doing reasonably well, all things considered. Keep those prayers coming...

Ob. Coffee. The Major started the day w/an Americano of Wake Coffe's Ambler Local Blend, from a roaster in Ambler, PA, about a block or so from the co-op market where the Major bought it. Good stuff.

-MO

Good Morning Krew

PXL_20240327_145203155.jpg
PXL_20240327_150729107.jpg

These beans were very dark, shiny and oily. My wife left early this morning so I decided to use the Pulsar brewer with 20g of beans and 320g of water at 202F. I have minor heartburn issues so I thought the "Low Acid" beans would be interesting to try.

The cup was very balanced and smooth but seemed to lack any particular flavor profile. Since the beans were very dark and shiny I was expecting more of a mouth coating, roasted or chocolate flavor.
Any general advice for dark-shiny beans?

Good Day thoughts and prayers for All.

Good Morning Krew

View attachment 1819077View attachment 1819078
These beans were very dark, shiny and oily. My wife left early this morning so I decided to use the Pulsar brewer with 20g of beans and 320g of water at 202F. I have minor heartburn issues so I thought the "Low Acid" beans would be interesting to try.

The cup was very balanced and smooth but seemed to lack any particular flavor profile. Since the beans were very dark and shiny I was expecting more of a mouth coating, roasted or chocolate flavor.
Any general advice for dark-shiny beans?

Good Day thoughts and prayers for All.
I don't normally buy dark roasts but from from Lance Hedrick's video 'ULTIMATE POUROVER RECIPE (any method)', here were some notes I took:

coffee to water ratio:
Light roast: 1:17
Medium roast: 1:15/1:16
Dark roast: 1:14/1:15

water temperature:
Light roast: 95-100c
Medium roast: 90-95c
Dark roast: 85-90c

So you may want to lower your water temperature since 202F is 94.4C. You may also want to lower your coffee to water ratio since you were using 1:16 (depending on how strong you like your coffee).

I find if I use too hot of water, I lose the tasting notes, so lowering the water temperature may bring out more of the notes you want.

coffee to water ratio:
Light roast: 1:17
Medium roast: 1:15/1:16
Dark roast: 1:14/1:15

water temperature:
Light roast: 95-100c
Medium roast: 90-95c
Dark roast: 85-90c

So you may want to lower your water temperature since 202F is 94.4C. You may also want to lower your coffee to water ratio since you were using 1:16 (depending on how strong you like your coffee).

I find if I use too hot of water, I lose the tasting notes, so lowering the water temperature may bring out more of the notes you want.
THANK YOU so much for the excellent advice.
Trevor, @rudygu has previously mentioned the lower temp and higher ratio for darker roast but it is just now kinda coming back to me.
Tomorrow: 190F and 1:14/15 ratio with the Pulsar brewer.
Thanks again...and to all the other great posters on this thread.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Good morning, coffee crew.

Starting the morning off with a little Lifeway Blueberry Kefir. No coffee for me yet as my stomach is not very happy at the moment.

It's 30° in SCS right now with a high around 48°. A cloudy morning with some sunshine expected later. I got about 7 hours of sleep last night. Looking forward to a relaxing day ahead.

It's Holy Thursday. Have a blessed one, my friends.

Good Morning Krew

PXL_20240328_141236162.jpg

It is currently crisp, chilly, sunny and 53F with an expected high of 70F today...some yard gardening and badminton planned today.

I took the appreciated advice of Trevor, @rudygu and @GoodShave this morning and brewed 30g of the VitaCup beans at 191F with 445g of water. I slightly overshot the amount of water I intended to use so I closed the Pulsar valve with a little water left in the brewer. I am estimating about a 1:14 ratio.
These beans are very dark, shiny, large and actually pretty, however, I still thought the scent and flavor to be kinda neutral and flat. Maybe I am discovering I like a brighter and lighter roast. I left enough coffee for my wife and poured a second small cup with stevia and a bit of milk. The coffee was very smooth, balanced and actually had a "tranquil" enjoyable effect.
BTW Trevor, my red handled Hario carafe broke and I had to get a new one. I discovered the red version is only available when purchased with the V60 combo.
Good Thursday to All.

Top Bottom