What's new

What was the first soap or cream that you finished off?

Gillette shaving cream. I don't remember what the tube said but it was white with black letters. Many years ago...

Not counting the many cans of cream/gel that I've gone through since the 1970s, the first real soap that I used all the way to the end was Williams. It may still be the only one where I've completely used more than one puck, but then, it comes in a small 1.75 oz size.

My first puck that got finished was the OLD SPICE puck. It was many moons ago, when they still sold it in drug stores.

Vi-John (Asia's most popular shaving cream... or so the box says). It was good stuff, as I recall. I'll probably pick up another tube for nostalgia's sake.

About a year ago I realized that these products last waaaaaaay longer than I originally expected. By then I had amassed a fair supply of products and didn't like the cluttered look of my areas of the bathroom. So I decided that before I would get any new products, I'd actually use up products that I liked and get rid of the ones that were not for me (like the ceramic bowl of Tabac that I tried twice and then packaged it up and moved it to the basement I loath it so much). In that time, I've finished a TOBS Lavender cream and Proraso tub.

That's it after 2 years of daily wet shaving! I can't believe how long the soaps last. Having spent the TOBS and Proraso, my regular rotation now includes pucks of Cade, MWF and an EJ Sea Buckthorn, the latter of which was the first hard soap I bought and is just coming to it's end even though I've used it regularly. Last year my total shaving outlay was about $5.00 on blades and I could probably spend about that rate for the next 3 years and still never need a new product. However, I do miss the TOBS and Proraso.

Geo. F. Trumper "Eucris" soap in the wooden bowl. It maybe has 10 shaves left, so I will have used it completely in 5 months. I have sampled the rest of Trumper's line, T&H's line, and Tabac, but this its still my favorite. I have ordered more along with DRH "Arlington", so this next puck may last longer since it won't be the only soap I will be using.

Pacific Shaving Company cream, and Classic Shaving Lime soap. Re-bought the Pacific Shaving, not so-much the Classic Shaving soap. Since then, I have bought a bunch of different soaps and creams to the point I have several years worth of stuff.

A puck of VDH Deluxe, but it probably shouldn't count, since my lathering was so poor that I probably wasted over half the puck. Since then I've actually used up several items, mostly creams but a puck or two of glycerine soap as well.

Top Bottom