What's new

If you could only keep 4 shaving soaps or creams

If the soapwad doesn't include some mystery body hairs, I won't use it.

I think that is what would gross me out the most about using bodybar remnants. Knowing where the soap had been, before it became my facial shave soap.

It's just not for me.
There were times in the past when I'd shower shave, but that was in the cartridge razor days. When shaving was a task rather than a ritual. And yes, I'd just face lather with the bar of soap.

The soap worked, I guess, even if I didn't realize at the time how bad a one-pass shave with a cart in a shower with no mirror was looking. Not a good look.

At any rate, I don't use bar soap anymore. I use 3 in 1 soap gel by Dial. Face, body, hair. And I use a loofah, not a washcloth. Three squirts of gel into a loofah and you are lathered up and can scrub for the entire shower. With bar soap, I have to keep "reloading" the loofah for each body area. And washcloths have to be constantly reloaded whether you use gel or bar. Washcloths just don't scrub as well, either.

I suspect the 3 in 1 gel is more economical, lasting longer. And it replaces shampoo, which I no longer buy either. Besides that, a wet, used bar of soap lying around is just...unsatisfactory. Especially next to the bathroom sink, either in a dish or just sitting there directly on the sink counter. The idea of a communal, everyone uses bar of soap is from a different time. Especially if guests are at the house.

There were times in the past when I'd shower shave, but that was in the cartridge razor days. When shaving was a task rather than a ritual. And yes, I'd just face lather with the bar of soap.

The soap worked, I guess, even if I didn't realize at the time how bad a one-pass shave with a cart in a shower with no mirror was looking. Not a good look.

At any rate, I don't use bar soap anymore. I use 3 in 1 soap gel by Dial. Face, body, hair. And I use a loofah, not a washcloth. Three squirts of gel into a loofah and you are lathered up and can scrub for the entire shower. With bar soap, I have to keep "reloading" the loofah for each body area. And washcloths have to be constantly reloaded whether you use gel or bar. Washcloths just don't scrub as well, either.

I suspect the 3 in 1 gel is more economical, lasting longer. And it replaces shampoo, which I no longer buy either. Besides that, a wet, used bar of soap lying around is just...unsatisfactory. Especially next to the bathroom sink, either in a dish or just sitting there directly on the sink counter. The idea of a communal, everyone uses bar of soap is from a different time. Especially if guests are at the house.

You're not getting your b-hole clean with a loofah, man.

Washrag for the win!

Well...let's just say I prefer a more hands on approach to that area. One that doesn't involve revolting "coloration" to fabrics or materials.

No. I'm not going to be more descriptive. Isn't it bizarre enough that we have lengthy conversations about shaving?

Discolored fabric is definitely unsavory, but the coloring agent is no longer in the addressed area, which is the top priority.

Try washing your hands after doing mechanical work with just soap vs. soap and a rag and judge for yourself which cleans better.

Yes, the time we devote to shaving discussion is definitely weird enough. Probably best to let this tangent end here.

Re the soap scraps discussion.... I save mine in an empty TOBS container with a little water. When the entire mess turns gealatenous I add it to a near-empty pump container of hand soap. For the most part recently my shower bar is Dove.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Holy derailment, Bat Man! Back on track...

1) Arko Stick
2) Stirling Margaritas in the Arctic
3) Open for rotation to keep things interesting
4) Geo F Trumper Coconut Cream

Discolored fabric is definitely unsavory, but the coloring agent is no longer in the addressed area, which is the top priority.

Try washing your hands after doing mechanical work with just soap vs. soap and a rag and judge for yourself which cleans better.

Yes, the time we devote to shaving discussion is definitely weird enough. Probably best to let this tangent end here.
I...know...how to handle such a situation. Things could be worse. In Iraq, the "indigenous" population would sometimes leave footprints on the toilet seat in our Port-a-Johns. As if they were unaccustomed to...sitting down. I was able to leave with my sanity more or less intact.

Love the thread, here are my options. If I had to restrict myself to inferior shaving products by excluding artisans, I would use:

1. Proraso green cream. Iconic scent, convenient, cooling. Nostalgic
2. Arko Puck.
3. TOBS Eton College cream (croap?) to feel like I’m on the rowing team
4. Proraso White soap. Gentle and mild.

If I was jack sparrow, was about to be marooned, and along with my gun and one shot could take any 4 soaps and scents from my den with me:

1. Ethos Grooming Fresco (F Base Soap)
2. Grooming dept. Kairos Diamond Dust
3. Declaration Grooming trismegistus
4. SV 70th

No particular order.

Stirling: any mutton tallow scent
Arko!
Razorock: Mudder Focker/The Dead Sea
Razorock: WTP any scent

Small artisan bonus:
MacDuffs soap.

Jay

-Proraso Green
-Cella Red
-La Toja
-Speick

I’d say I probably enjoy those 4 more than all the artisan soaps I’ve tried, with the exception of PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum.
That one really stood out as “high performance“ soap (and it smells great as well).

S

Scrubby

A bit late to the show… anyway, my 4 choices are clear. My preferences mostly rotate between:
1) Tabac
2) De vergulde hand
3) Arko stick
4) Proraso green

Hi,

Well, foo. I only have three.....

Vintage Oster from the model 222 LatherService machine.

Vintage Old Spice from my Dad.

Modern Carden Farms glycerine from a nearby farm that makes soaps.

The Oster and the Carden Farms get their pucks cut in half and used half and half to mix the vintage tallow and modern glycerine.

In case anyone cares, here is a thread about that Oster:

Stan

This is what makes answering this thread difficult.

The "Artisan" label has been watered down and thrown around over the years, it's lost it's true meaning and is now a buzzword to get peoples attention and in some cases, drive up price or demand.

If a soap maker has 30 scents, 300 of each in stock and is outsourcing them or using all machines to mass produce, not artisan. If they make small batch, all by hand and the soap is universally known to suck, not artisan.

Small batch. High quality ingredients or materials and high quality end product. Traditional methods with the majority of the process being done by hands on, artisan.

To me, the basic online definition and one I think has a decent interpretation of is:

: a worker who practices a trade or handicraft : CRAFTSPERSON
a skilled artisan

: a person or company that produces something (such as cheese or wine) in limited quantities often using traditional methods

Price has nothing to do with the term. That's not to say MdC is not Artisan but it's not entirely based on price.

The reason most "Artisan" sold products are in fact more expensive is, they use high quality ingredients/material, are made by hand in limited quantity and the end product is high quality.

I'm on board with this description. For me, you're also kind of leaving the artisan waters when you sell a ton of other stuff. It's difficult for me to view a person/company as an artisan soap maker if they're also hawking razors, blades, brushes, stands, t-shirts, coffee, coffee mugs, candles, etc. They might all be fine products, but that kind of shop just doesn't seem artisanal to me.

Top Bottom