What's new

If you could only keep 4 shaving soaps or creams

A lot of these old soaps and creams made by companies such as Palmolive, La Toja, Trumper, TOBS, Harris, Cella, Arko, Old Spice (India made, now), ViJohn, and many others are just as good as anything else out there. Often, as in the case of ViJohn, the performance and after shave feel are top notch, but the scent isn't. However, these soaps cost anywhere from .75¢ to about $8, give or take a little. They are cheap and good. Artisan soaps are all over the map with performance and price. I am all for them, but they are not the purpose of this thread.

Perhaps the best way to distinguish between soaps would be old school vs new school. When I first got into DE razors and wet shaving in the mid 2000's the go-to soaps were what your mentioned (although I'd also add Truefitt & Hill, and I don't know where to find TOBS or GFT for $8 in the US).

These soaps were and are solid performers that basically don't change much from year to year. It's kind of like buying a Coke or Big Mac. It's always going to be the same no matter when or where you purchase it.

Newer soap makers (the artisans) are constantly changing their formulas and scents. If you have a two year old soap that you'd like to replace, it most likely isn't possible. Either the formula changed or the scent isn't available any longer.

It's like going to a food truck and eating the burger of the week and it's the best burger you've ever had. But you go back two weeks later and it's no longer available.

I'm sure there are massive gaps in my analogy that will be pointed out, but, just trying to help define the difference between artisan and non-artisan from my perspective.

@Wgg2017 If it's Artisan, people will know it based on the quality and research. I can't stand labels that self delcare "Artisan".

I guess I should answer the thread. This is based on currently available soaps or ones I have stockpile in:

Tallow Tabac
Proraso Blue Cream
Tallow MWF/Kent

I would add Haslinger, but from what I know, they are a small family company and I consider them Artisan.

I have been lucky to be somewhat unrestricted in traditional shaving journey now going over 50 years.
I don't have really any high end DE razors or high end software.
I did start out with SR's and have scoped eight (not cheap)Thiers-Issard SRs over the years. Which I still use on weekends.

Now my dad (96) has been making soaps forever, and also makes shave soaps. He does it as a hobby - passions also.
So I get a good share and smile every-time....
My amazing wife, who also balances our finances created a shaving budget for us, mainly for me. But occasionally will buy me some shave soaps to try, mainly exclusively from Italy.

So picking four, will never be there.
We always stay way under budget and I have no complaints, it works great.
I have been blessed with a variety from multiple sources and see no reason to be restricted or just pick four.
The soap is part of the zen process for me and it enjoyable to have that with a nice variety....
If I don't enjoy a soaps scent, they usually go to my brothers or friends...

BFX

Life has no limitations, except the ones you make.

Les Brown

At the moment, I'll only add one to the list as it is that good for me and any of my brushes, regardless of whether they are boar or badger or a mix... the Stirling Soap Co. Naked & Smooth. Provides such a thick, creamy, cushiony lather, one simply can't go wrong. And for those who scented soaps may bother them, this one is great.

Stirling Soap Co. Naked & Smooth.jpg

Palmolive classic cream
Proraso Green cream
Proraso blue cream
Speick cream

The only soaps I've tried have been Aussie Palmolive stick (Discontinued, the current Italian cream is better anyway)
and Proraso Green and Red (of which I prefer the creams).

I made a promise to myself that I would only have a couple creams at a time. I had several half used tubs and they were drying out. After several years I narrowed it down to the following:

Soap- Mitchell’s Woolfat
Soap- Taylors of Old Bond Street -Jermyn Street
Cream- Truefitt and Hill 1805
Geo F Trumper-GFT

I can’t say I have tried them all, but I will say I tried a lot of creams. I found some of the really higher end creams to be more drying.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
One cream? Easy! Erasmic

One shave stick? Again easy! Lea stick

One tub soap? Well, I would normally say Wickham's or Phoenix and Beau, but they're probably disqualified as artisnal. I don't think I have used any big factory tub soaps.

That leaves two hard cake soaps to pick. It would have been Mitchell's, but I haven't tried the new non-tallow formula, so I will say Haslinger and The Goodfellas Smile mug soaps.

Truth be told, I could probably settle on a number of others though, so my choices are far from fixed or definitive.

Musgo real (expensive but the soap of a man of distinction and not fettered by price hikes)
Almost any TOBs (As my Physics professor at University once said, "the man that shaves with TOBs is probably well endowed" YMMV)
Geo Spanish leather ( I like the story behind it, and the connections to dominating lesser civilizations)
Prorasso (perfect for when the well capitalized man needs to feel a bit blue-collar)

Top Bottom